Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Books I'm reading...

Hi...its been awhile since I checked in, and figured I'd add my two-cents worth. I'm a book-a-holic...have always read and have a huge stash of books I'm hoping to read before I croak! I keep a book journal of all the books I read. Just finished "The Summer I Dared" by Barbara Delinsky, High Country by Nevada Barr, and A Place Called Wiregrass by Michael Morris...all great reads! Now I'm reading The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak, and can't hardly put it down. I read many genres, and try to mix them up when reading so I don't get bogged down. I've tried reading more than one book, but it doesn't work for me. I like to immerse myself in what I'm reading, and enjoy every single written word. Thats just me...
I'm enjoying all the interesting posts about books you are reading or have read...keep it up! :)

The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy by Fiona Neill---those of you overworked Moms with sorta non-helpfulf, career-driven but critical hubbies but loving as well will certainly identify with this story.............I haven't finished it yet but had to share it....quick read........nothing taxing......but fun...........:)

Just finished The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. Fascinating peek at the year 1950 in LA. Pretty dark, but beautifully written. Just started An Innocent Man by John Grisham. A friend came over this morning, saw it, and commented that it is very depressing. Hmmmm. May switch to something else.

Well, quite seriously (and yes, I do have a serious side:) I think that angst sells.......plus Oprah did have some hurdles in her life and now she is super rich and happy thru her own efforts and I applaud her "Yay, Girl, Go For It!!!!" and I think that she wants to help others along the way.............good for her..........but I have to agree with you....War and Peace????? have you tried to read that book????? I'm a bookaholic and English lover but just being confidential betw us "too much info" after a short while......just me.......I'm sure there are those of you who have found it upflfting......but it too was depressing........I just can NOT believe with her chaotic schedule that Oprah actually "read" this book and kudos to her if she did.......I've read two of her other "recommended" books and they were wonderful but not because she recommended them per se......but when I saw her endorsement I did give pause.......glad I didn't ...........Tolstoy.....I'm sorry.......you are a heavy dude.....

yep, me, too, MK! read a few tho' always surprised that they were on her "hit list" of recommendeds........she's great at launching other people's careers......we should be so lucky.....at least she has some people reading...........:)

expatgirl said:
plus Oprah did have some hurdles in her life

Yes, and I think she is particularly attracted to books where the protaganist is faced with various obstacles...but sometimes, it all just ends badly. No triumph over adversity, just more adversity. No thank you.

Agree totally, MK! That's why i've been enjoying Slummy Mummy, just a fun read....more along the lines of Bridget Jones' Diary.......even one of my Canadian friends who has no kids and no intentions of ever having any really enjoyed it......the book probably made her glad she had no kids..........hahaha

Agatha Christie omnibus of Miss Marple stories.
Hey, Miniman,

If you like Agatha Christie you might want to search for her book "Come Along With Me" which chronicles her sojourns with her archaeologist husband , Sir Mallowan, in the Middle East...........so entertaining and a light read......I have enjoyed it so much that I've read it several times over the years......apparently people had been pestering (for lack of a better word) her to write about travels with her 2nd husband (he was 10 years younger than she) so this was it.....wonderful book.....don't know if it's still in print but you can always go to alibris.......I actually found it better than any of her other books but I like autos :)

Just finished The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. Fascinating peek at the year 1950 in LA. Pretty dark, but beautifully written. Just started An Innocent Man by John Grisham. A friend came over this morning, saw it, and commented that it is very depressing. Hmmmm. May switch to something else.

Please don't stop reading this fascinating book. It isn't as depressing as your friend thinks it is. I didn't find it the least bit depressing I just marveled at the incredible screw-up in our legal system that would cause these men to spend years in prison. This is a true story and a good one. John Grisham makes this one very easy to read and keeps you interested til the surprise ending. Don't miss it.

Just finished Shoot the Moon and intend on finding more of her books. I usually have a history/biography going as well and now it is Victoria's Daughters. I also have at least one in my read-aloud group, and it is The Story Of English, a book of proverbs, and a French crossword puzzle.

I, too, often avoid Oprah books. Overall, I am pleased that she's gotten a few women who would normally be watching Soaps and Lifetime Movies all day READING. But, while I read almost anything, I do find that her recommended books ARE like lifetime movies. Lots of misery, rape, horror of all kinds.

I, too, often avoid Oprah books. Overall, I am pleased that she's gotten a few women who would normally be watching Soaps and Lifetime Movies all day READING. But, while I read almost anything, I do find that her recommended books ARE like lifetime movies. Lots of misery, rape, horror of all kinds.

I agree. Almost every book Oprah recommends is sad, depressing, violent or horrific. They are good stories but come on, somebody has to write a book that is uplifting that she would like. Her recommendations of House of Sand and Fog (depressing and very sad ending) and Pillars of the Earth, (extreme cruelty, violence, etc.) are books that she claims are the best she's ever read. Couldn't get past the first 100 pages of Pillars and wonder if anyone else read this book and found the cruelty more than you wanted to read about.

DramaQueen said:
Please don't stop reading this fascinating book.

No, I won't give up on it. It's too difficult to find books in English here to waste one! I have taken a detour into Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep and am nibbling at Elmore Leonard as well. I usually read 2-3 books at a time, and I will definitely go back to it. Thanks for the encouragement.

Back
Top Bottom