"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-19-2013, 12:31 PM   #2831
Sous Chef

I just read "The Queen's Gambit" by Walter Tevis for the 3rd... maybe 4th... time. Read about it! From a review by "HeadButler" Jesse Kornbluth:
"I believe that you will care about Beth Harmon more than any fictional character you've encountered in years and years.
I believe that you will grasp the wrench of loneliness --- and the power of love --- as if this book were happening to you.
And I believe that you will weep, and cheer, and, at the end, raise your fist like a fool for a little girl who never existed and a game only nerds play."
the complete review

Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM   #2832
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
jose baez's book, presumed guilty: casey anthony.
I just read the prosecutor's book: "Imperfect Justice." Such a sad and fascinating case.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:06 PM   #2833
Executive Chef

i'm, like, not a junkie for every big scandalous murder trial that comes along, truly i'm not. but i got all caught up with this very sad and bizarre case of casey anthony's. i followed it closely while the trial was ongoing, and now, 1 1/2 years later, i couldn't help but return to the scene of the crime.
sharon--too bad we can't trade books when we're done....:)
Old 02-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #2834
Sous Chef

I'm sure neither book can say "what really happened" - which is what we want to know! I didn't know many of the details before reading the book - just that the verdict was a shock to many. I thought the Ashton book was not particularly well written. He really didn't hide his disdain for Baez. Don't know if I'll opt for another $4.99 for "Presumed Guilty" (the Kindle price for both books). Let me know if you think I should! :)
Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #2835
Sous Chef

I am reading 'Mordants need' by Stephen Donaldson. I never read stephen Donaldson before
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:06 AM   #2836
Master Chef

I have a thing for mysteries (I guess the proper term is crime fiction). I like both the "cozies" and the darker ones. In the latter category are the Scandinavian authors who seem to be coming out of the woodwork. Right now I'm reading "Phantom" by Jo Nesbo (Norwegian), and just finished "Lethal Investments" by k.o. dahl (another Norwegian). But there seem to be a lot of Scandinavian authors in this genre lately. And I like most of them, so far.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #2837
Assistant Cook

Duma Key Steven king... I am almost finished then I am going to read the last book in the Wheel of time series started by the late Robert Jordan.

www.DouglasMB.Wordpress.com
DouglasMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #2838
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I have a thing for mysteries (I guess the proper term is crime fiction). I like both the "cozies" and the darker ones. In the latter category are the Scandinavian authors who seem to be coming out of the woodwork. Right now I'm reading "Phantom" by Jo Nesbo (Norwegian), and just finished "Lethal Investments" by k.o. dahl (another Norwegian). But there seem to be a lot of Scandinavian authors in this genre lately. And I like most of them, so far.
Claire; These are two of my favorite authors from Sweden:

Henning Mankell- all of his Insp. Kurt Wallander (they have made for TV some mysteries from his books on PBS).

Hakan Nesser- Insp. VanVeeteren
Old 02-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #2839
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Claire; These are two of my favorite authors from Sweden:

Henning Mankell- all of his Insp. Kurt Wallander (they have made for TV some mysteries from his books on PBS).

Hakan Nesser- Insp. VanVeeteren
I've read (and seen, on BBC/PBS the Mankell/Wallander series. Not read anything by Nesser. I particularly like to keep up with the Swedish, since I have a Swedish friend.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:37 AM   #2840
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonT View Post
I'm sure neither book can say "what really happened" - which is what we want to know! I didn't know many of the details before reading the book - just that the verdict was a shock to many. I thought the Ashton book was not particularly well written. He really didn't hide his disdain for Baez. Don't know if I'll opt for another $4.99 for "Presumed Guilty" (the Kindle price for both books). Let me know if you think I should! :)
Yow, sharon, i owe you a big apology! my intention was to get back to you right after finishing the baez book, but i forgot, and it's probably a moot question for you by now.
just in case you are still interested, of the two poorly written books about the casey anthony trial, the baez one was by far the more interesting one.

what made the reading of both books especially tedious was that neither baez or ashton seemed able to resist the temptation of retrying their lengthy, ponderous cases for a second time in their books. and both were guilty of attacking each other voraciously through character assassination and petty one-upsmanship. as a result, neither one came across as very credible when it really counted.

i must say, one thing resulting from my reading 'presumed guilty', was that my opinion about the verdict in this case underwent--not a reversal, but a major change. the reason being that i learned quite a bit of information about casey, her family, and about case evidence in general, to which i had not been privy at the time of the trial.

eventually, i imagine a 'casey' book will find its way into print, but as you already stated, we will likely never know the true facts regarding this tragic death.