"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 PM   #2891
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
A random pick off the library shelf -- I'm midway through Cooking the Books by Kerry Greenwood. Turns out she's from Australia and there's a character named Kylie in the book.
Must be a good book

Old 04-25-2013, 07:20 PM   #2892
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I just finished Jonathan Kellerman's Victim. I have a Kingsolver novel in the chute, so to speak. But Honolu just struck my mood and for some reason Kingsolver just didn't. So I'll send her back to the library and read Honolulu so I can send it on to my Korean/Hawaiian/American friend!
Claire, just thought I would tell you that I just found a mystery book called "MURDER IN GALENA" by Sandra Principe. Have you read it?

Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #2893
Senior Cook

I'm reading the first book in one of the Beverly Lewis Amish series - the book is titled "The Thorn". I have the other two sitting by the couch ready for me when I finish the first one.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:57 AM   #2894
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Claire, just thought I would tell you that I just found a mystery book called "MURDER IN GALENA" by Sandra Principe. Have you read it?
Yup. I have a shelf of "local interest" books and bought this as soon as it came out. Wasn't terribly impressed, which makes me feel bad to say because I've met Ms. Principe and think she's a nice lady. And I LOVE murder mysteries. But I live in Galena and didn't think she portrayed the town very accurately. I mean, I know a novel is a novel, not a factual portrayal. But I felt bad that I know quite well some of the law enforcement personnel in this town and she made them look like stupid yokels. I'm not sure why she needed to do that. Plus she obviously was viewing Galena as a wealthy Chicagoan. We're all just hicks.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #2895
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Yup. I have a shelf of "local interest" books and bought this as soon as it came out. Wasn't terribly impressed, which makes me feel bad to say because I've met Ms. Principe and think she's a nice lady. And I LOVE murder mysteries. But I live in Galena and didn't think she portrayed the town very accurately. I mean, I know a novel is a novel, not a factual portrayal. But I felt bad that I know quite well some of the law enforcement personnel in this town and she made them look like stupid yokels. I'm not sure why she needed to do that. Plus she obviously was viewing Galena as a wealthy Chicagoan. We're all just hicks.
When the author of Peyton Place wrote her book, she was villified by the town she lived in up in NH up to the day she died. They swore they all could each recognize themselves and that she was airing all the dirty laundry. If you are going to write about the town you live in, you better make it sugar sweet if you expect to live there after the book comes out.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 PM   #2896
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Must be a good book
Re Cooking the Books -- It's pretty good so far, Kylie, but I need some clarification if you would. One of the characters is described as having a "Portsea bob." What's that?

And a character took her book, her cat, and esky...what's an esky?

These aren't vital clues in the mystery or anything, I'm just curious and would rather ask you than Mr. Google. TIA.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:41 PM   #2897
Senior Cook

Does anyone in here read anything by J. R. Ward? My mom just got the latest Black Dagger Brotherhood book "Lover At Last" and she's already started reading it. I'm going to see if I can find it for my Kindle because it's so thick and heavy in hardback that it makes my wrist hurt to try to hold it. I broke my wrist in 2007 and have had problems with it ever since.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #2898
Sous Chef

I'm reading A Dying Fall by Ellie Griffiths, book four of the Ruth Galloway series. One of my favorites. I'm looking forward to spending my weekend with my nose stuck to my kindle. (That just doesn't sound right. You know what I mean.lol)
Old 04-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #2899
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm finishing a Baldacci...The Forgotten and then starting another called, The Hit. I'm going to finish it if I have to duct tape myself to my chair.
Old 04-27-2013, 02:49 AM   #2900
Sous Chef

'Harry Potter and Philosophers' stone' although I enjoyed the movie I never read it. I also enjoyed the book.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote