"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-28-2013, 06:07 PM   #2931
Chef Extraordinaire

Last night I started reading Marco Pierre White's The Devil in the Kitchen: Sex, Pain, Madness, and the Making of a Great Chef

I am getting right into it and loving it

Old 04-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #2932
Master Chef

I just started "The Princess Bride." I love the movie to death and when it came up for $.99 for my kindle I snapped it up.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #2933
Master Chef

Am reading another of Sally Spencer's mystery's. This one is THE WITCH MAKER.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #2934
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am curious. Have any of you read any books in the far past that have stayed in your memory to this day? For me the first one was My Friend Flicka by M. O'Hara. That book turned me on to reading during my early school years. And the next one was Five Smooth Stones . A story of an interracial relationship during the fifties. The ending left me stunned. It goes into the 60's and the last sentence was the main character being shot at the same moment Kennedy was shot in Dallas and at that very same moment the interracial baby of his was born. That book has stayed in my mind all these years. There have been others, but not like these two.
My two from childhood were The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #2935
Executive Chef

Oh Claire, those are my favorites too. I just love them!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:53 PM   #2936
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm just about to finish Jeffrey Deaver's The Bodies Left Behind. (44 pages left)

I got the Andre Norton suggested by the Princess, and am excited to have that next.

Back to the Science Fiction/Fantasy again, I just ordered all of the Incarnations of Immortality. A 7 book series by Piers Anthony, a personal favorite of mine.

Abe Books had all of them available. I'll be ready when I finish the Andre Norton.

Not a bad score for 7 books for a total of less than $15.

If I'm not around much I'll have my nose stuck in a book!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #2937
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm just about to finish Jeffrey Deaver's The Bodies Left Behind. (44 pages left)

I got the Andre Norton suggested by the Princess, and am excited to have that next.

Back to the Science Fiction/Fantasy again, I just ordered all of the Incarnations of Immortality. A 7 book series by Piers Anthony, a personal favorite of mine.

Abe Books had all of them available. I'll be ready when I finish the Andre Norton.

Not a bad score for 7 books for a total of less than $15.

If I'm not around much I'll have my nose stuck in a book!
I just found an A.E. Van Vogt compilation called, "Transgalactic" edited by Eric Flint and David Drake. Sounds really good and I have not read these stories before.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #2938
Master Chef

I'm mostly a cozy mysteries reader. Love the ones that include recipes (natch' ) and have tried quite a few of them. Love peoples' reactions when they ask where I got the recipe and I say "oh, a murder mystery". Usually stops their fork mid-air! I assure them none of the recipes includes any poison. There are so many authors I follow that have great character development but I've run out of their currently written books. Gotta start expanding my search to others. Having enjoyed the Margaret Truman books I'm thinking it's about time I worked my way through David Baldacci - his books are always flying off our library's shelves. Also want to read Patterson's "Women's Murder Club" series because I enjoyed the short-lived series so much. Never could get into his Alex Cross books though. Maybe those two series will be my "light reading" for this summer!

I'll pick up a non-fiction to break up the killings. Currently reading "Francona: The Red Sox Years" since we've lived here all his Red Sox managerial time and now he's the manager for my hometown Cleveland Indians. During his tenure up here Himself (not a big baseball fan but puts up with me) would say "why can't we get a manager like that?" when Francona's post-game presser was shown during the news. Needless to say I was thrilled when I could tell him "we did!". Being a real sports nut (at neighborhood parties I'm usually the only girl in the room with the guys talking sports...) I followed a lot of the inside stuff up here when Tito was running the Red Sox. Glad to see he's with a team that has a lot less drama that goes with it.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #2939
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

CG, the Baldacci's are great! I have never been disappointed.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 AM   #2940
Master Chef

Well they're on my list! Along with a bunch of other books. If you don't die until you complete your reading wish list I should make it to 100. Would still be 2 or 3 years shy of the family record (Great Aunt Rose made it to 102 or 103) but in my family long lives with decent brains is a trait. Then again, my brain is getting toasted already.