"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 AM   #2941
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Oh Claire, those are my favorites too. I just love them!
I read aloud to a couple of elderly friends, one is blind, the other is almost immobile (RA). A few years ago I mentioned The Secret Garden and neither of them had read it! You bet I corrected that missing brick in their wall of reading. I really think it might have been their favorite of all the books I've read to them over the decade or so I've been doing this. Right now I'm reading them the orphan train trilogy by Robert Noonan, mostly because much of it takes place in our little town. I know I got Garden almost for the cost of shipping because I didn't care if it had illustrations or was a ragged paperback, as long as all its pages were intact (Amazon). Maybe I'll see what Anne goes for and put that on the read-aloud list.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:36 AM   #2942
Master Chef

For myself I just started "Z". Many moons ago I read her (that is to say, Zelda Fitzgerald) biography, and a few months ago I read The Paris Wife about Hemmingway's first wife. But for some reason "Z" seems to wind up upstairs when I'm down, or vice versa.

I, too, love "cozy" mysteries. It is my brain candy, what I want to read when I just don't want to think too hard!

For some reason I wound up with two books back-to-back that were "message" books. Not that I disagreed with the message, just that it seemed the books had a story built around the message rather than standing on its own. They were OK, but i don't like to be preached at.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #2943
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I finished the Jeffrey Deaver book, The Bodies left behind, and started the Andre Norton's Forerunner, which arrived just in time. I only had to finish about 50 pages first.

Thanks, Princess! I'm enjoying Andre. It's been a long time since I had quality SF. and he's always been a good read. Plus, I see he's been busy, there a more I've missed.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #2944
Head Chef

1, 2, 3:

One is The Law and the Lady (1875)by Wilkie Collins, following up on his Moonstone.

Two, In the Merde for Love by Stephen Clarke, about an Englishman who opens an English tearoom in Paris. Noted on the page that follows the title page (not the frontispiece, which my dictionary says is an illustration page that precedes the title - so what's the one after called??), anyway on this page is noted "Hell is other people." A well-known quote from Sartre

Three, nonfiction -- Quiet, The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. It's a fine time, at this late date, to wonder in my and my family's lives who we all were, who we all are now, and whether I should have done things differently had I been better informed.

Gonna need a cozy after this.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #2945
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I finished the Jeffrey Deaver book, The Bodies left behind, and started the Andre Norton's Forerunner, which arrived just in time. I only had to finish about 50 pages first.

Thanks, Princess! I'm enjoying Andre. It's been a long time since I had quality SF. and he's always been a good read. Plus, I see he's been busy, there a more I've missed.
Andre was female...I don't know where they are digging up these stories, but I hope they keep finding them. I look at the books carefully to make sure they are not written by another author based on the famous author's ideas.

I'm reading a book called Partials by Dan Wells, very good story. It's a Young Adult book, I'm enjoying the heck out of it.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:25 PM   #2946
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Woops! I never knew that.

I remember reading a few of her books, but when I read the list of other titles, I didn't recognize any.

There were quite a few books listed, so I guess I can have someone new to get obsessed with.

I'm really enjoying Forerunner Factor.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #2947
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Woops! I never knew that.

I remember reading a few of her books, but when I read the list of other titles, I didn't recognize any.

There were quite a few books listed, so I guess I can have someone new to get obsessed with.

I'm really enjoying Forerunner Factor.
No problem, same mistake made by lots of people. I just found this: "Andre Alice Norton was an American writer of science fiction and fantasy under the pen names Andre Norton, Andrew North and Allen Weston." Wikipedia

I wonder if the stories that are "new" were written under her other pen names.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:32 PM   #2948
Master Chef

CG - you'll like Baldacci and The Women's Murder Club series. Both well written. I enjoyed Baldacci's Camel Club series a lot. His stand alone stories are good too. If you want something other than murder mysteries, try his "Wish You Well" about a young girl in the Shenandoah mountains. No murder or governmental conspiracies involved.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #2949
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
CG - you'll like Baldacci...try his "Wish You Well" about a young girl in the Shenandoah mountains. No murder or governmental conspiracies involved.
And as a bonus, the Shenandoah Mountains! Love it along the Blue Ridge, love all of VA. Two of my favorite series (Mrs. Murphy series by Rita Mae Brown and Donna Andrews series featuring a lady blacksmith) are set in VA. Would retire to VA if it weren't a little far from our kids.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 PM   #2950
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
And as a bonus, the Shenandoah Mountains! Love it along the Blue Ridge, love all of VA. Two of my favorite series (Mrs. Murphy series by Rita Mae Brown and Donna Andrews series featuring a lady blacksmith) are set in VA. Would retire to VA if it weren't a little far from our kids.

bring 'em with, goddess! virginia has something for everyone....