"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 07-30-2006, 12:37 AM   #291
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Just finished reading Julia Child's lovely posthumous book, "My Life in France." If you're a fan of hers, OR of cooking, imo, it's a must-read. I felt as though I could hear her talking as I read. She wrote it in the last couple of years of her life by telling the stories to Paul's great-nephew, alex Prud'homme. He obviously knew her well and loved her a lot to be able to capture her so exactly in print.

ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:15 AM   #292
Master Chef
YES. I've read all of D. Sayers plus have been trying to get into the BBC Peter Wimsley series, and am thinking of rereading them to help me get into the spirit. And I'm not much of a believer in re-reading. So many books, so little time. I'm unemployed, and an insomniac. That adds up to 3-5 books/week. My latest thing has been to check out old Graham Green books that I missed the first time around. My read-aloud book (a friend who is blind, and one who is too crippled to hold up a book for any length of time) is Yul Brynner's biography.

Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:28 AM   #293
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by Claire
I am a huge fan of the A. McCall Smith books.
I have only read the first two so far....but these are great!! My only problem is that I read fast and read each in one sitting.
Little Miss J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 04:59 AM   #294
Master Chef
Miss J -- I too am a fast reader. Many, many years ago, some teacher of mine (don't remember her) in 3rd or 4th grade, discovered I was really GOOD at reading. She sent me to a speed reading course. I don't actively try to speeed-read, because I consider it a pleasure and slow myself down. Still, a McCall book only takes a few hours to read. THat is TRYING to read slow.

I was at the library a few years ago, and a friend of mine saw how many books I was checking out (I leave with 5-8 books). He's a young Irish man. He said, "Claire, you read all that?" (the books range in subject matter very widely). Yes. "You must have some spectacular dreams."

Now, here's the question. Do readers have more dreams? More exotic dreams? I've always had very vivid dreams but never connected it to reading, and have always thought it was a result (or source) of being insomniac. Any opinions??
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 06:50 AM   #295
Sous Chef
Send a message via MSN to Lynan
At the moment I have 3 books on the go, one in my office and 2 at home. Dumb to have 2 at home, Im hardly here!!
Anyways, I read Jeanette Wintersons ' Sexing the Cherry' years ago and bought the book home from my recent trip to Italy ( I have a TRUNK full of books still not shipped home!) so Im 1/2 way thru' that again and loving it. Also have Richard Carlsons ' Dont Sweat the Small Stuff' because I have been. 'Nuff said there...lol
And Im also reading 'Everydog' a complete book of dog care as we have a rescue pup..8 mths old..who is totally out of control. My garden is wrecked, a credit card chewed ( my fault for leaving it within jaw distance) hubsters vehicle has a flat battery because of him, trash bags have been strewn far and wide and he loves to leave a calling card in a particular spot on the hall carpet. A wet calling card and he is 8 mths old!! Ummm, Im concentrating on the discipline part of the book. :)
Lynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:46 AM   #296
Head Chef
Originally Posted by Banana Brain
My favorite book is either To Kill a Mocking Bird or Life of Pi.
BB, I absolutely love these books too! Three other books I would put in the same class are The Little Prince, The Caine Mutiny, and Pride and Prejudice.
'Never eat more than you can lift.' - Miss Piggy
Chopstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 09:07 AM   #297
Senior Cook
Robert Jordan, Knife of Dreams... like him, Dean Koontz, John Saul, JK Rowling, RA Salvatore, Julie Garwood, Amanda Quick/Jayne Ann Krentz/Jayne Castle, Catherine Coulter, Jude Devereaux, Judith McNaught, Stephen King, Sidney Sheldon, VC Andrews... the list doesn't really stop so I should lol.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Herm Albrighthttp://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...s/tripcopy.jpg
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:03 AM   #298
Assistant Cook
Right now I am reading "On the Road," by Jack Kerouac. It's amazing! It's probably the third time I've read it.
justright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 10:18 AM   #299
Master Chef
Anyone of you guys over there ever heard of Walter Moers?
He is a german writer, but I just found out many of his books are already translated into english...
so if anyone likes phantasy, a bit like Terry Pratchett, only better, look out for his Zamonien (Zamonia?) books..

I just finished "The city of dreaming books", Rumo also is great, Captain Bluebear not the best, but good, too...
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 11:47 AM   #300
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
Perfect Nightmare by John Saul.

Not much time to read lately though.. too busy enjoying summer.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote