Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Secret Garden

When my daughter was small I read The Secret Garden to her by doing a chapter each night at bedtime. Your post brought back such a beautiful memory. We read a few others this way, but The Secret Garden and Caddie Woodlawn are the two that stand out in my memory.

I had a 4th grade teacher back in 1964 who would read one chapter after lunch from The Secret Garden.......Mrs. Matocha had the best vocalizations ever and we looked forward to coming back after lunch..........I will NEVER forget that book as long as I live and the latest movie (sorry I don't know the actress) is one of the best portrayals so far..........thanks for the memories...........:LOL:

ok, I see that I'm repeating myself.......sorry........but the Secret Garden is a great chapter book to keep a kid hanging on.........I've been gone a week so I don't remember what I've posted and not..........there are several good movie versions as well out there to show once you've finished reading the book........nothing was done back in 64 that I remember..........don't show the movie until you finish reading the book together if I can influence anyone out there.........please.........

I finished The Innocent Man by John Grisham (at the urging of Drama Queen) and I have to admit that it was worth reading. Painstakingly researched and sensitively written - I applaud John Grisham for bringing this inexcusable miscarriage of justice to the attention of the reading public. Having said that, it was a SAD book. Sad story. Then....I read a book my DIL bought for me when they were visiting, A Thousand Splendid Suns. This is a book about Afghanistan, and the women who live there, especially. It is by the same author who wrote The Kite Runner, which I have not read. I almost quit reading it 2/3 of the way through. How many horrible things have to happen to one person? Well, two people, actually. I found the details about Afghan life fascinating, and it is always beneficial to remind ourselves that people all over the world have the same love for their families, the same fears....I decided to finish the book after I checked out reviews online. I'm glad I finished it - it is not a book I will forget soon, and I would certainly recommend it. The writer seems to simplify his characters a bit (all good or all bad), but he had a big story to tell, and maybe that was the way he had to do it. I think there is much more to the current story than the book suggests, but that borders on politics, which is verboten, so I'll leave it at that.

I finished The Innocent Man by John Grisham (at the urging of Drama Queen) and I have to admit that it was worth reading. Painstakingly researched and sensitively written - I applaud John Grisham for bringing this inexcusable miscarriage of justice to the attention of the reading public. Having said that, it was a SAD book. Sad story. Then....I read a book my DIL bought for me when they were visiting, A Thousand Splendid Suns. This is a book about Afghanistan, and the women who live there, especially. It is by the same author who wrote The Kite Runner, which I have not read. I almost quit reading it 2/3 of the way through. How many horrible things have to happen to one person? Well, two people, actually. I found the details about Afghan life fascinating, and it is always beneficial to remind ourselves that people all over the world have the same love for their families, the same fears....I decided to finish the book after I checked out reviews online. I'm glad I finished it - it is not a book I will forget soon, and I would certainly recommend it. The writer seems to simplify his characters a bit (all good or all bad), but he had a big story to tell, and maybe that was the way he had to do it. I think there is much more to the current story than the book suggests, but that borders on politics, which is verboten, so I'll leave it at that.

I'm glad you finished "An Innocent Man." It gives a lot of insight into what can happen when the justice system is out of control.
Please read "The Kite Runner." This was a very interesting and intense book but doesn't have the same theme about crimes against women. The author does a superb job of describing life in Afghanistan and what happened to the two boys the book tells about. The ending is both sad and uplifting. The movie leaves out a great deal of the story. I hope this author writes another book soon.

I think everyone would benefit by reading these books about Afghanistan - anything that makes the people affected by generations of war and violence more real to those of us who are privileged to live in countries where our daily lives are safe and secure. I look forward to reading The Kite Runner as well and will start searching for a copy.

Just finished Northlander - Tales of the Borderlands (one of my daughters books) and just started Catherine, Called Birdy. We've been reading a lot more lately, joined the summer reading program. My oldest daughter was "required" to read 3 books during the school summer break to attend the summer end party, she has already read 9 books! Read! Read! Read!
I'll get some time to see what everyone else is reading, to get some good references. :).

I'm almost done with Here We Go Again - My Life in Television by Betty White. It's been a wonderful read. Lots and lots of amazing information about early television and many of the people I grew up watching. I'm going to be sorry when I finish it.

Have any of you read Paula Deen's autobiography (I hope I'm remembering the title correctly) It Ain't All About The Cookin' ? It's really quite good, and she is so up front about everything, including the most personal parts of her life. I enjoyed it tremendously

I'm almost done with Here We Go Again - My Life in Television by Betty White. It's been a wonderful read. Lots and lots of amazing information about early television and many of the people I grew up watching. I'm going to be sorry when I finish it.

Thanks, Katie, I happen to love Betty White and she is so with it at her age.....I sometimes catch her on Ellen when I'm home as they are both animal lovers.........thanks for the recommendation as I like to read biographies and autob. :)

I just finished "Victoria's Daughters" which gave me a lot of insight to the start of WWI. I'm still reading "The Story of English" to my freinds, and am reading one of the Jane Austin copies that seem to be going around. I liked the last book by the Afghani writer much more than "Kite Runner" --Kite was just too sad and too unhappy an ending. A good book, but it left me depressed for days.

Reading Blueberry Muffin Murder by Joanne Fluke. I like her recipes that she includes in the book for blueberry goodies.

that sounds like an excellent read!!! if you've read my signature, you can see i LOVE golden girls. if she mentions that show, i wanna read her book.:LOL:

I just finished "The Forbidden" by Beverly Lewis, and now reading, "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady" by Florence King. So far, so good! The "Forbidden" was really good...its the second book in the Amish series, "The Courtship of Nellie Fisher".

I just finished "The Forbidden" by Beverly Lewis, and now reading, "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady" by Florence King. So far, so good! The "Forbidden" was really good...its the second book in the Amish series, "The Courtship of Nellie Fisher".

I love Beverly Lewis! I read her other Amish series The Heritage of Lancaster County. That was good. I grew up near an Amish community so it was easy to imagine their lifestyle. I'll have to look into her other books. Right now I'm on a Faye Kellerman run. I just finished False Prophet and have started Grievious Sins. My reading will be curtailed in another week when classes start up again. Then it will be reading textbooks again! Oh! Speaking of textbooks, I read Language in Hand:why sign came before speech. It was a really interesting book about the theory that language grew out of gestures first before humans developed control of their voices. If you are interested in language and anthropology you'd enjoy this book. It was fairly easy to read.

Back
Top Bottom