"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #3041
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,296
mysterychef, I'll have to look for those at our library when my reading season returns (after baseball season). Our daughter lives about 5 miles outside the edge of Amish Country. Every time we're back home to see our kids we take off for the butcher and cheese shops that we like, bringing home a bounty of yummy things we cook for dinners when we're there. Unfortunately, the Shearer's factory outlet is in the same area. Dangerous when you can stop and buy a 3# bag of bulk calories chips. More dangerous when you walk out with more than one.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #3042
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Furies of Calderon, by Jim Butcher. I read hal of it and then had to take a break from it because I'm trying to read it without "cheating". The need to know if any of my ideas or predictions were correct was getting painful. I just picked it back up a couple nights ago. Hoping to finish it tonight. Then it's on to the next book in the series, although I need to finish reading The Surrogates. It's much shorter though and has far less actual reading so should go pretty quickly.
__________________

__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #3043
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,170
At the urging of my best friend, who has nearly identical reading tastes as I, I'm trying to get into Clan of the Cave Bear. Not sure it's going to fly. So far it is laborious. Yes, I know characters have to be established, etc., but I'm ready to get some sort of story going. It's a little like watching paint dry. I'll give it some more time but I'm not holding out a lot of hope I'll finish it.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #3044
Sous Chef
 
mmyap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 673
I've come upon two series. The Joe Pickett series by C.J. Boxx, I've just finished Open Season and have the second in the series, Savage Run waiting. And an author I have yet to try by the name of Deborah Crombie / Jemma something, british detective series. I think the book is titled "Now You May Weep."
__________________
mmyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #3045
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
At the urging of my best friend, who has nearly identical reading tastes as I, I'm trying to get into Clan of the Cave Bear. Not sure it's going to fly. So far it is laborious. Yes, I know characters have to be established, etc., but I'm ready to get some sort of story going. It's a little like watching paint dry. I'll give it some more time but I'm not holding out a lot of hope I'll finish it.
I really liked the whole series, except for the most recent (hopefully final) sequel where the author seemed to be hitting the cash register and writing a travelogue at the same time.

But really, I enjoyed all the series except the finale (hopefully it's the finale).

My advice: if you don't like it by page 100, move on. That's my advice on all books.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #3046
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
I've come upon two series. The Joe Pickett series by C.J. Boxx, I've just finished Open Season and have the second in the series, Savage Run waiting. And an author I have yet to try by the name of Deborah Crombie / Jemma something, british detective series. I think the book is titled "Now You May Weep."
The earlier Pickett novels were very good (first 5?) but I burned out at some point and bailed out of the series.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #3047
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
At the urging of my best friend, who has nearly identical reading tastes as I, I'm trying to get into Clan of the Cave Bear. Not sure it's going to fly. So far it is laborious. Yes, I know characters have to be established, etc., but I'm ready to get some sort of story going. It's a little like watching paint dry. I'll give it some more time but I'm not holding out a lot of hope I'll finish it.
It took me 3 or 4 tries before i got over that first part of the b ook, Katie. Once I got past it, I couldn't put it down. Took me 2 years to get it read.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #3048
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

It took me 3 or 4 tries before i got over that first part of the b ook, Katie. Once I got past it, I couldn't put it down. Took me 2 years to get it read.
I did the same thing, then got the next in the series.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #3049
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: northeast
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
mysterychef, I'll have to look for those at our library when my reading season returns (after baseball season). Our daughter lives about 5 miles outside the edge of Amish Country. Every time we're back home to see our kids we take off for the butcher and cheese shops that we like, bringing home a bounty of yummy things we cook for dinners when we're there. Unfortunately, the Shearer's factory outlet is in the same area. Dangerous when you can stop and buy a 3# bag of bulk calories chips. More dangerous when you walk out with more than one.
Many years ago we traveled through the ''Amish'' community in Ohio, but we didn't stop.[regretfully] On the way back while traveling we stayed in Lancaster Pa. It was mid Sept.and we had a motel in the middle of a cornfield. We watched them cut and bale cornstalks with a team of horses. It was nice to see the families work together. We went back last year and I couldn't believe all the commercialization. We still had a wonderful vacation. Nice pace, good people, and excellent food.
__________________
''Good cooking is when things taste of what they are''
mysterychef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #3050
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
I am really enjoying the ebook I am reading, JK Rowling's alias, very good writing
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.