"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #3041
Master Chef

mysterychef, I'll have to look for those at our library when my reading season returns (after baseball season). Our daughter lives about 5 miles outside the edge of Amish Country. Every time we're back home to see our kids we take off for the butcher and cheese shops that we like, bringing home a bounty of yummy things we cook for dinners when we're there. Unfortunately, the Shearer's factory outlet is in the same area. Dangerous when you can stop and buy a 3# bag of bulk calories chips. More dangerous when you walk out with more than one.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #3042
Executive Chef

Furies of Calderon, by Jim Butcher. I read hal of it and then had to take a break from it because I'm trying to read it without "cheating". The need to know if any of my ideas or predictions were correct was getting painful. I just picked it back up a couple nights ago. Hoping to finish it tonight. Then it's on to the next book in the series, although I need to finish reading The Surrogates. It's much shorter though and has far less actual reading so should go pretty quickly.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:42 PM   #3043
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
At the urging of my best friend, who has nearly identical reading tastes as I, I'm trying to get into Clan of the Cave Bear. Not sure it's going to fly. So far it is laborious. Yes, I know characters have to be established, etc., but I'm ready to get some sort of story going. It's a little like watching paint dry. I'll give it some more time but I'm not holding out a lot of hope I'll finish it.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #3044
Sous Chef

I've come upon two series. The Joe Pickett series by C.J. Boxx, I've just finished Open Season and have the second in the series, Savage Run waiting. And an author I have yet to try by the name of Deborah Crombie / Jemma something, british detective series. I think the book is titled "Now You May Weep."
Old 08-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #3045
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
At the urging of my best friend, who has nearly identical reading tastes as I, I'm trying to get into Clan of the Cave Bear. Not sure it's going to fly. So far it is laborious. Yes, I know characters have to be established, etc., but I'm ready to get some sort of story going. It's a little like watching paint dry. I'll give it some more time but I'm not holding out a lot of hope I'll finish it.
I really liked the whole series, except for the most recent (hopefully final) sequel where the author seemed to be hitting the cash register and writing a travelogue at the same time.

But really, I enjoyed all the series except the finale (hopefully it's the finale).

My advice: if you don't like it by page 100, move on. That's my advice on all books.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #3046
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
I've come upon two series. The Joe Pickett series by C.J. Boxx, I've just finished Open Season and have the second in the series, Savage Run waiting. And an author I have yet to try by the name of Deborah Crombie / Jemma something, british detective series. I think the book is titled "Now You May Weep."
The earlier Pickett novels were very good (first 5?) but I burned out at some point and bailed out of the series.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #3047
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
It took me 3 or 4 tries before i got over that first part of the b ook, Katie. Once I got past it, I couldn't put it down. Took me 2 years to get it read.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #3048
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

It took me 3 or 4 tries before i got over that first part of the b ook, Katie. Once I got past it, I couldn't put it down. Took me 2 years to get it read.
I did the same thing, then got the next in the series.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #3049
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
mysterychef, I'll have to look for those at our library when my reading season returns (after baseball season). Our daughter lives about 5 miles outside the edge of Amish Country. Every time we're back home to see our kids we take off for the butcher and cheese shops that we like, bringing home a bounty of yummy things we cook for dinners when we're there. Unfortunately, the Shearer's factory outlet is in the same area. Dangerous when you can stop and buy a 3# bag of bulk calories chips. More dangerous when you walk out with more than one.
Many years ago we traveled through the ''Amish'' community in Ohio, but we didn't stop.[regretfully] On the way back while traveling we stayed in Lancaster Pa. It was mid Sept.and we had a motel in the middle of a cornfield. We watched them cut and bale cornstalks with a team of horses. It was nice to see the families work together. We went back last year and I couldn't believe all the commercialization. We still had a wonderful vacation. Nice pace, good people, and excellent food.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #3050
Chef Extraordinaire

I am really enjoying the ebook I am reading, JK Rowling's alias, very good writing