"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #3071
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
mysterychef, I picked up one of Catillo's books at the library on Friday. Started to read "Sworn to Silence" today and ! Not like my usual "cozy mysteries". It seems a bit....graphic. I don't know how far I'll get. Castillo writes captivatingly, BUT I'm used to warm and fuzzy killings. And laughs. Don't think I'll get fuzzy or laughs...
In my opinion it's very difficult to write mystery books where somebody doesn't die. About the only exception is the "heist" mystery novels involving a huge theft, and even in many of them murder is involved. But don't worry, they're only fictional characters.

I had to call quits on the Hannibal Lechter series by Thomas Harris, because they were just too graphic for me, way too graphic. So now I know what my queasiness threshold is.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #3072
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Still wading my way through Clan of the Cave Bear. It's laborious but I can't stop something I've already begun. I don't think I'll go on to read any of the rest of the series.
If you can't get past page 100 (in any book) you're better off giving it up and moving on to a (hopefully) better book.

There's so many books, so little time. Think about it: watch a movie that wasn't that good and you've wasted 90 minutes to 2 hours. Read a book that wasn't that good and you've wasted 8-12 hours.

I have my 100 page rule. If I'm not hooked by 100 pages I log the novel into my reading log and move on to the next book.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #3073
Master Chef

Quote:
mysterychef, I picked up one of Catillo's books at the library on Friday. Started to read "Sworn to Silence" today and ! Not like my usual "cozy mysteries". It seems a bit....graphic. I don't know how far I'll get. Castillo writes captivatingly, BUT I'm used to warm and fuzzy killings. And laughs. Don't think I'll get fuzzy or laughs...
Have you read the Chet and Bernie books by Spencer Quinn? They'd be just up your alley. The first one is Dog on It. Also the Liturgical Mystery series by Mark Schweizer. Set in an Episcopal church in North Carolina. The church choir director is also the chief of police. Lots of quirky characters. The first one is The Alto Wore Tweed.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #3074
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post

Have you read the Chet and Bernie books by Spencer Quinn? They'd be just up your alley. The first one is Dog on It. Also the Liturgical Mystery series by Mark Schweizer. Set in an Episcopal church in North Carolina. The church choir director is also the chief of police. Lots of quirky characters. The first one is The Alto Wore Tweed.
Love Chet and Bernie. And I'm loving Crais' Suspect.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #3075
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Still wading my way through Clan of the Cave Bear. It's laborious but I can't stop something I've already begun. I don't think I'll go on to read any of the rest of the series.
Life's too short to read rubbish.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:55 PM   #3076
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Life's too short to read rubbish.
Someone's rubbish is another person's treasure.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:54 PM   #3077
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
In my opinion it's very difficult to write mystery books where somebody doesn't die. .....
Greg, I'm not protesting people dying. If it's a murder mystery, there MUST be a murder! There are couple of authors I follow where I actually root for some of the annoying characters to get knocked off. What was difficult to read in this book (and, thankfully, appeared to be just in the prologue) was a detailed description of the slaughterhouse practice of exsanguination...performed on humans. Detailed. *shudders* Plus your garden-variety of torture treatments. Since I didn't have nightmares I've continued reading on. Thankfully, the book has now reduced itself to your standard thriller as opposed to a medical textbook.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #3078
Executive Chef

Not quite sure your point CG, but there's interesting ways to describe murder (in first, second or third person) and there's ways to do it that just gross me out (Thomas Harris: Silence of the Lambs which was a very good read but I just couldn't take anything this explicit (okay I read 1-2 of his later novels, but I called it quits after that). Good author, great novels, but just too explicit for my taste.

It's easy for novelists to kill off objectionable (or even sympathetic) characters, they can always accomplish the deed in a paragraph or two. These aren't real people they're just story book characters that advance the plot of a novel.

As I said, as a general rule somebody has to die (often more than one person) to get the business of a mystery novel going, although there are exceptions (e.g. the "heist" novels) but I think most of us mystery/suspense fans want characters to die to advance the plot of our thrillers.

There's nothing wrong with imaginary people dying. It's just how the author handles it.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #3079
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Greg, I'm not protesting people dying. If it's a murder mystery, there MUST be a murder! There are couple of authors I follow where I actually root for some of the annoying characters to get knocked off. What was difficult to read in this book (and, thankfully, appeared to be just in the prologue) was a detailed description of the slaughterhouse practice of exsanguination...performed on humans. Detailed. *shudders* Plus your garden-variety of torture treatments. Since I didn't have nightmares I've continued reading on. Thankfully, the book has now reduced itself to your standard thriller as opposed to a medical textbook.
Gee and I was going to make sure you had an invitation to the next open heart surgery I am allowed to watch.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:23 PM   #3080
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Those sound like I need to add them to my list! At the present time I'm caught up with all the books the authors of my favorite series have written, and the dear writers are not writing books as fast as I can read them.