"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #3081
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Gee and I was going to make sure you had an invitation to the next open heart surgery I am allowed to watch.
But that surgery isn't killing, it's life-saving. Unless the surgeon makes an "oops".

Old 08-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #3082
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
But that surgery isn't killing, it's life-saving. Unless the surgeon makes an "oops".
I was going for the gore factor...

Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #3083
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I'm currently reading Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy. Didn't see the movie either so really didn't have any idea about the book but knew it was a pretty popular story. It's very rich story-telling so I don't get very far each night. I've been reading it for nearly a week and am not even a quarter through the book.

I see mysterychef just started a book about Thomas Jefferson. Which one is that? I love Mr. Jefferson. His life is so amazing! My son graduated from his University so my family has a great affection for the man!
I saw ''Prince of Tides in the theater many years ago. I remember great performances by Barbara Streisand, and Nick Nolte. [Before his mugshot photo for a D.U.I. became a joke] My wife read the book and said the movie did a good job capturing life in the Carolina's .Kleenex optional. Particularly like the Jefferson book because of its culinary interest.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:34 AM   #3084
Master Chef

So far in Prince of Tides, I can see 3 movies! After I finish I'll have to netflix the movie to see what they included! I've added the Jefferson book to my wish list. I try to keep my ebooks to under $5. It has to be a compelling book to buy it for more than that! I read a bit with the "look inside" feature on Amazon and it sounds intriguing.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #3085
Master Chef

I am reading M.C.Beaton's Death Of Yesterday. I love all of her Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin mysteries.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:39 AM   #3086
Master Chef

Finished the Linda Castillo book "Sworn to Silence" Tuesday night. In spite of it's little bit of shockingly gruesome details I'm very glad I stuck it out. It was a really good read. I'll have to pick the series up again later this year.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #3087
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
I am reading M.C.Beaton's Death Of Yesterday. I love all of her Hamish Macbeth and Agatha Raisin mysteries.
I knew that M.C. Beaton also wrote under her maiden name of Marion Chesney, but take a look at her Wikipedia page; it is astounding. She's used several names and has written oodles of books. I've read the Macbeth and Raisin titles our library has -- I wish they stocked every one of them. I've read several of her Edwardian novels but don't like the characters nearly as well as those two.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:08 AM   #3088
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
Read them in order of publishing date! In other words, read them as the author wrote/published them. The series has a progression.

Report back!

I hope you like Pike as much as I do. The series initially focused on Cole with Pike as his back-up, but when the Pike as protagonist novel came out it really blew me away.

I wish I knew these people. That's why you/I like these Crais novels. We wanna be friends with the main characters.
The first Crais I read was The Two Minute Rule - nonstop page-turner for me. Vitauta had recommended this one and it didn't disappoint. So I got in line at the library for Suspect and just finished it. Really good in a different way. There was so much interesting info on the extraordinary ability of the canine nose, in this case a K-9 German Shepherd, and PTSD, both human and dog.

I like your suggestion of going back to the very beginning of Crais' writing history and following the progression forward. My DIL chides herself on, after finding a new author she likes, devouring all of his/her work. I used to resist doing this but find myself bringing home books I have already read because there was no method to my choosing. I can't remember all the titles, but the situations usually ring a bell. Sometimes I'll go ahead and re-read it, but as has been mentioned, there are so many books, so little time -- too little to be re-reading just because...

Did you say you have a listing of what you read?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:15 AM   #3089
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I knew that M.C. Beaton also wrote under her maiden name of Marion Chesney, but take a look at her Wikipedia page; it is astounding. She's used several names and has written oodles of books. I've read the Macbeth and Raisin titles our library has -- I wish they stocked every one of them. I've read several of her Edwardian novels but don't like the characters nearly as well as those two.
I don't understand why authors change their names over and over. I would think you would lose some followers if they don't know your new name.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:47 PM   #3090
Head Chef

Addie, I can think of a couple of reasons. They may not be valid reasons, but...e.g., they might gain new followers under a different name; perhaps this author knows some people don't care for the two named series but will try books of a different genre or style without prejudging, not having preconceived ideas of what that book will be.

Or maybe the author assumes the role of a different writer when she assumes a different name. Maybe she feels more free to go off in a new direction, deviate from what her fans are accustomed to. Maybe it's just fun.

Maybe it's a business decision -- can't think of a reason here, but I'm not in business. Stephen King has published under another name but I've never heard him give a reason.