Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
John Saul is one of my favorite authors!

I am currently reading "The Glass Flame," by Phyllis A. Whitney.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
judas strain by james rollins. i get my nerd on with a lifelong intrest in science. the books by rollins combines hard science with wild action adventure. at the end of each he lists what parts of the story were facts with refrences if you want to check them out. it is often suprising what turns out to be fact. if interested start with the novel map of bones, followed by black order then judas strain. the books he wrote before this were a little far feched for me but fall along the same lines.

has anyone read Cell by Stephen King? I think it's a rather new one, not sure.

In all seriousness, this is what I have been perusing, and it's driving my wife nuts.

When you spend a bazillion dollars on bike parts, Moco gives you your own factory parts book to buy more parts. This is the latest edition.

It's a page turner, I cannot wait to see how it ends!

Most likely, a divorce...

Edit: BTW, for those who are faint of heart, my "bookmark" was inserted as a gag. I collect old curios, and this is a Sicilian knife, circa 1955, dull as a butterknife with the mechanism inoperable for more than 40 years. Belive it it or not, it's the blonde bone handles that make it valuable. They don't build 'em like this anymore.

img_673690_0_50f33f1cbd02a9024d2ad53308f20fa2.jpg

I read it too, I loved the first half, great stuff and one of my best reads! near the end it started to get a bit weird though. I'm going to read the stand next :)

The Stand is a really good one. Very intense! Have you read 'Salem's Lot? That was one of the first Stephen King books I ever read. It is what hooked me on his books.

I've read that one yeah, awesome stuff! I heard that The Stand is his best rated book and the plot sounds perfect for me, I ordered a bunch of his books off Amazon at the start of summer to read and The Stand was in there :) If you haven't read The Mist, that's a great one too - it's a short that also got turned into a pretty good movie, except they changed the end! :(

I read The Mist long ago, but can't remember the end! I saw the movie too. I just remember thinking (at the end of the movie), "And the moral of this story is, wait until you actually see the big scary monster before..." Well, I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet! :-p

Yeah thats what I thought too, silly bloke :mrgreen: It's hard to not ruin the ending for other people... the book was more of a stephen king style ending (think Cell's ending) and the movie wasn't :) I still liked it though.

One series I haven't read of his is the Dark Tower, which is apparently very good.

I am currently reading or trying to read "The Garden of Last Days" by Andre Dubus. My last read was "Anne of Green Gables" for my trip to Prince Edward's Island.

Yeah thats what I thought too, silly bloke :mrgreen: It's hard to not ruin the ending for other people... the book was more of a stephen king style ending (think Cell's ending) and the movie wasn't :) I still liked it though.

One series I haven't read of his is the Dark Tower, which is apparently very good.
I tried but just couldn't get into that series. I keep hearing it is good, so I may try again someday, but not yet.

I've read that one yeah, awesome stuff! I heard that The Stand is his best rated book and the plot sounds perfect for me, I ordered a bunch of his books off Amazon at the start of summer to read and The Stand was in there :) If you haven't read The Mist, that's a great one too - it's a short that also got turned into a pretty good movie, except they changed the end! :(

They changed the ending of "CUJO" also. The book is terrific because there are sections that are italicized indicating what the dog is thinking. This dog has been bitten by a rabid bat and is becoming increasingly violent and ill. They couldn't show what the dog is thinking in the movie so that was lost; and they changed the ending to be less, uh, violent. :mad: If you haven't read this one, it a very good and intense story.

I think I may have met CUJO on my vacation. Went to a slaughter house in a very rural part of New Brunswick and this big slobbering dog was barking at my car door. YUK. Scared the heck out of me.

I agree with the comments about Stephen King - I enjoy his books, but like Barbara, couldn't get into the Dark Tower series. My daughter has told me over and over that I should read them. I loved Lisey's Story, one of his latest in paperback. I'm currently reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Wonderful book.

Your not going to believe this, but the only books I have been reading have been my son's books that he reads for school. He'sin sixth grade now, but in third grade his teacher alerted me to him being behind all his classmates in reading. So with a lot of hard work in school and at home he is now up to grade level. One of the things I do to encourage him to read is read whatever book he is reading. Than we can disguss the book together. I'm usually ahead of him and I always try to get him excited about what's coming up in the book. It's worked wonders. Last year he ended the year at the top of his class in reading. We are currently reading "No Talking, by Andrew Clements" Just during his summer vacation he has read 3 books.

getoutamykitchen, you deserve an award as a great parent. What a fine idea! Instilling a love for reading is one of the finest gifts you can give your son.

Thank You! Being a mom is the greatest gift I have ever been given. I have never been an avid reader myself, but seeing how important it is for an education I really push it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom