"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #3091
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Addie, I can think of a couple of reasons. They may not be valid reasons, but...e.g., they might gain new followers under a different name; perhaps this author knows some people don't care for the two named series but will try books of a different genre or style without prejudging, not having preconceived ideas of what that book will be.

Or maybe the author assumes the role of a different writer when she assumes a different name. Maybe she feels more free to go off in a new direction, deviate from what her fans are accustomed to. Maybe it's just fun.

Maybe it's a business decision -- can't think of a reason here, but I'm not in business. Stephen King has published under another name but I've never heard him give a reason.
Hmmm.... Food for thought.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #3092
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
...I like your suggestion of going back to the very beginning of Crais' writing history and following the progression forward. My DIL chides herself on, after finding a new author she likes, devouring all of his/her work. I used to resist doing this but find myself bringing home books I have already read because there was no method to my choosing. I can't remember all the titles, but the situations usually ring a bell....
If you're getting the books at the library check your account online to see if they have a reading history. When our system switched over to the Evergreen System you actually had to set your account to save your history. Under our old system the reading history was the default setting.

I definitely start an author's series with book one. If I see something more recent in the library that looks like a good one I'll save the title in my account folder and request the first (and second and, sometimes third...) book in the series. I find it interesting to watch the characters develop personalities!
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #3093
Head Chef
 
tinlizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 2,003
I'm really ticked with the people in charge of our County right now -- everybody's got budget troubles; I understand that. But they're going to reduce bus routes and library hours to save money. There is currently a program to order books out of our system; that will be cut, too, to save money. That is just so short-sighted imo.

I'll go look to see if I have a title history I can access on-line; but, shhhh, don't tell them or they'll cut that out, too.
__________________
No matter how simple it seems, it's complicated.
tinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #3094
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'm really ticked with the people in charge of our County right now -- everybody's got budget troubles; I understand that. But they're going to reduce bus routes and library hours to save money. There is currently a program to order books out of our system; that will be cut, too, to save money. That is just so short-sighted imo.

I'll go look to see if I have a title history I can access on-line; but, shhhh, don't tell them or they'll cut that out, too.
Someday the physical building will no longer exists. You will have one giant Kindle at hand on the internet. Who is going to read to the little ones during story hour? A big favorite here at my local branch. And we are going to be losing more than 1000 slots for HeadStart kids next year due to Federal Budget cuts. With working mothers, who is going to take them to their story time and read to them?

Here in Mass. we don't remove bus routes, just the number of runs in the day. Some routes only run during rush hours. Hope not many folks work overtime.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #3095
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I like your suggestion of going back to the very beginning of Crais' writing history and following the progression forward. My DIL chides herself on, after finding a new author she likes, devouring all of his/her work. I used to resist doing this but find myself bringing home books I have already read because there was no method to my choosing. I can't remember all the titles, but the situations usually ring a bell. Sometimes I'll go ahead and re-read it, but as has been mentioned, there are so many books, so little time -- too little to be re-reading just because...

Did you say you have a listing of what you read?
I would rather knowingly re-read a novel I've previously read than do it accidentally. I have my reading priorities an a previously read novel would be lowered in my queue.

I've listed all the books I've read in the last 20 years. I'm looking into making my list accessible to the public (obviously just my friends).
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #3096
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I don't understand why authors change their names over and over. I would think you would lose some followers if they don't know your new name.
I'm amused because of a different genre. Explicit models change their names every time they go to a different nude photography publisher. For both, (1) it's a way to appear fresh and novel, and (2) it's a means to attract a different audience.

I'm not sure this proves my point but I'm currently reading (and I had better finish it tomorrow because it's going to disappear off my iPad), JK Rowling's latest novel "The Cuckoo's Calling" (by Robert Gailraith, uh.... yeah...)

I don't understand why Rowling didn't just use her real name (is her name really JK Rowling?). But it's a really good book. In fact I have to cut my 'Net sessions short tonight because my library is going to suck it back tomorrow and I'll have to wait for weeks to finish it unless I finish it tomorrow. (on page 293 of 488 right now)

I guess whether you're a porn queen or a novelist it helps to run multiple product lines so that your previous work doesn't compete with your new work and detract from the new works' successes.

BTW I'm giving a + rating to "The Cuckoo's Calling" even though I haven't finished it. It's a really good read!
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #3097
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I definitely start an author's series with book one. If I see something more recent in the library that looks like a good one I'll save the title in my account folder and request the first (and second and, sometimes third...) book in the series. I find it interesting to watch the characters develop personalities!
That never works because you never know if you'll like a series until you've read an exemplar, usually the latest new release. At that point you research the artist and series, and if you liked it a lot and the series has a decent history, that's when you go back to #1 and read them in order..\

I've done that countless times...

And then you find the author has another series under another pen name and you start that one out with the series debut. I've had that happen often.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #3098
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
I'm really ticked with the people in charge of our County right now -- everybody's got budget troubles; I understand that. But they're going to reduce bus routes and library hours to save money. There is currently a program to order books out of our system; that will be cut, too, to save money. That is just so short-sighted imo.

I'll go look to see if I have a title history I can access on-line; but, shhhh, don't tell them or they'll cut that out, too.
I'm very fortunate that my Los Angeles Public Library has been very well funded. We get loads of all the popular new releases. On a sadder note (and I've discussed this with my favorite librarians often) the LA City gets all the fines. You would think LAPL would get to keep the fine money and use it to buy new books, but alas, not. All fines go directly to the city fund.

But I have no reason to complain. We have a damn fine library system here in LA.

Put that in the perspective that they buy 20-40 copies of every best seller. I reserved Stephen White's latest novel (and series finale) Compound Fractures, released just a few days ago, and my copy is waiting at my local library (I had a reserve number of something like #12). With my limited access to their database it appears they bought only 20 copies (so far) but I bet they'll be up to 40 copies in a few weeks.

I have to pick up my copy in a few days, and I'm sure if I can't read it in the allowed 3 weeks it will take months for me to get back to it.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #3099
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
That never works because you never know if you'll like a series until you've read an exemplar, usually the latest new release...
Painting with a rather broad brush there, aren't you? When running across a new-to-me author I'll skim the short summary in the jacket flap. If it sounds interesting I look for Book One in a series. If it isn't on the shelf I request a copy. Then I go home and read Book One. Have never failed to go on through all the subsequent books in that series. It works for me, so don't pull the rug out from under my feet...I'm clumsy enough on my own.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #3100
Sous Chef
 
radhuni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Calcutta, India
Posts: 958
Inferno, the latest book of Dan Brown. Not very good.
__________________

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.