"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #3101
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radhuni View Post
Inferno, the latest book of Dan Brown. Not very good.
I heard that too.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:57 PM   #3102
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Painting with a rather broad brush there, aren't you? When running across a new-to-me author I'll skim the short summary in the jacket flap. If it sounds interesting I look for Book One in a series. If it isn't on the shelf I request a copy. Then I go home and read Book One. Have never failed to go on through all the subsequent books in that series. It works for me, so don't pull the rug out from under my feet...I'm clumsy enough on my own.
You didn't quote enough of my post for me to understand what you mean.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:08 PM   #3103
Executive Chef

I finished The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling pseudonym) and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've never read any of Rowling's books (particularly her Harry Potter series) and only started her Casual Vacancy post-Potter novel which I couldn't compete due to being otherwise occupied with too many personal problems to deal with recreational reading at the time.

So anyway it's a biog thumbs up for The Cuckoo's Calling and I totally recommend the mystery / private eye novel. Rowling's one POV character is a temp secretary who got hired by a PI, and her main POV character is the PI himself, a rahter damaged Afghan war vet (from war injuries involving loss of a leg) who is also the bastard whelp of a rock groupie and a famous rock musician (psychological injuries or at least a sensitivity to the mockery of celebrity). His murder investigation involves an adopted famous fashion half-black model, which crosses the paths of many pop celebrities, some who know who the protagonist is, some who do not. The big joke is that the PI met his father only once or twice, and was totally isolated from the celeb demi-monde. He couldn't give a sh** who was famous and who was not. Oh and I didn't say he's on the down and outs, sleeping in a cot in his office. Maybe this case will change his circumstances?

I won't spoil the book by telling you who done it, but only in the final chapter(s) does it become clear who the surprising murderer is. Rowling did a great job of providing all the clues yet surprising the reader in the final pages by revealing "who done it."

I recommend it as a very good read.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #3104
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Finished Clan of the Cave Bear. Kept waiting for it to "go" somewhere. I guess it did but it "got" there so slowly that I won't be reading any others in the series.

After that disappointment I took up the latest in James Patterson's "woman's murder club" series, Twelfth of Never. As expected, Patterson spun a great tale and, surprisingly this time, left me hanging. Can't wait for the next one. Love the 4 main characters.

Now I'm into a relatively new, to me, author...Michael Connelly. I've come to really like his character, Harry Bosch. Just began Trunk Music, which is just what I've come to expect of Connelly...a great story.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:35 PM   #3105
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Finished Clan of the Cave Bear. Kept waiting for it to "go" somewhere. I guess it did but it "got" there so slowly that I won't be reading any others in the series.

After that disappointment I took up the latest in James Patterson's "woman's murder club" series, Twelfth of Never. As expected, Patterson spun a great tale and, surprisingly this time, left me hanging. Can't wait for the next one. Love the 4 main characters.

Now I'm into a relatively new, to me, author...Michael Connelly. I've come to really like his character, Harry Bosch. Just began Trunk Music, which is just what I've come to expect of Connelly...a great story.

Love Michael Connelly books and Harry Bosch.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:54 AM   #3106
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
You didn't quote enough of my post for me to understand what you mean.
Sorry. I thought I summarized the rest of your post enough to jog your memory. Point was if I find a new-to-me author and the book in my hand looks appealing but isn't Book One I always start reading the series with Book One. You said "That never works because you never know if you'll like a series until you've read an exemplar, usually the latest new release. ..." Hence my "broad brush" comment. Except that doing it MY way works for me. I've never not continued on with a series when I've gone ahead and started with the initial book. I enjoy the character development that ensues as the author adds titles to the series.

If you want to read the entire exchange your original post is the link above, my reply is the second post below yours.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #3107
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Love Michael Connelly books and Harry Bosch.
I just went to the resident's library yesterday and found my first Michael Connelly book. I started it last night and was immediately caught up in the story. I looked at the list of books he's written and realized I've got a new author (to me) and lots of good reading to come.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #3108
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I just went to the resident's library yesterday and found my first Michael Connelly book. I started it last night and was immediately caught up in the story. I looked at the list of books he's written and realized I've got a new author (to me) and lots of good reading to come.
LOL! Glad to help...I've have so many authors I have read and enjoyed, but have been all the way through their series and I'm on to the next author. It's hard to remember all their names until someone else mentions them.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #3109
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just started "A Dog's Purpose". What a charming book! I think I'll eventually have to break out the tissues, though.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #3110
Head Chef

That disturbing current news story about digging up remains at the boys' school in the Florida panhandle jogged my memory. Jefferson Bass, the two-man team who write the Body Farm books, put one out a couple of years ago called The Bone Yard, based on this sorry chapter from the past. Their books are always well done and this one is no exception, but I don't think I could bear reading it again even to compare it with what they may find up there.

I just picked up a book by Annie Dillard -her writing has been compared to Thoreau. This one is Pilgrim at Tinker Creek.