"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #3171
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Oooh, Vit, thanks for the tip! Just scored it. The movie sounded very interesting, happy to get the Kindle book!

yes, the movie, a british film, is getting sensational reviews. i'm glad you picked it up, dawg. shoot, i think i'll go and post this on the new 'bargain' thread i just started, so even more interested dc readers can get in on this bargain book buy!

Old 10-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #3172
Executive Chef

I am now reading Amanda Knox Waiting to be Heard. It goes into a lot more detail about the murder than Fatal Beauty. As it is being told by Amanda, it indicates that she is innocent, not involved at all. But it makes me go hmmmmm. I don't know if being grilled by the police could ever stress me out enough to sign a confession to a murder I did not commit. Twice. What was she thinking? But then I have never been in that position so I really don't know.

According to an article I read online, the new trial is going on right now in Italy and it all comes down to a trace of Merediths DNA found on a knife in the kitchen of Rafaele, the boyfriend.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #3173
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I recently read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I thought I had read it before, but it was all new to me. I enjoyed it so much, I ordered the Ender's Shadow series to read more about Bean.

However, during the 3rd of this series, Shadow Puppets, I found a Sandra Brown book I haven't read before at Walmart today, and decided to take a break.

Man! She can capture my attention so quickly! The book is French Silk and she's caught me in her spell again, so quickly. I really enjoy anything Sandra Brown has written. Hooked again!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:12 PM   #3174
Executive Chef

I also like Sandra Brown. A friend gave me a few of her books I have not read yet. Lately everything I've read has bored me. I think it's time to take a break from reading for a while.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #3175
Proud American

Right now I'm working on my Sunday School lesson, so I'm reading the Bible. I took a break from it to come here.

Otherwise, I'm reading Hitler's Mein Kampf.

Don't ask.

With love,
~Cat
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #3176
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm on the third and final book in the Hugh Howey Silo series, Dust. Excellent books.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #3177
Head Chef

Currently reading Michael McGarrity's "Hard Country"

" Packed with an honest portrayal of the people and events that set into motion range wars, Indian raids, cattle rustling, rough justice, long-standing feuds, murder, and the final closing of the frontier, Hard Country resonates with a hard-bitten, atmospheric reality. It is the Western reinvented and enlarged into an historic family saga that above all celebrates the people and the land of the great Southwest"

McGarrity follows Tony Hillerman's place in my reading stack. (Hillerman is deceased). He writes about the same geographic area, for the most part. His novels are similar but different than Hillerman's tales and if you liked/loved Hillerman then you'll feel the same about McGarrity. Although each book is a stand alone there is a loose connection between them that I find better if read in order---- but that's not necessary.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #3178
Master Chef

Just finished Froyd's mistress.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:41 AM   #3179
Master Chef

Got three fluff books to read in the car on the drive to FL - the "Wine Lover's Mystery" series by Michele Scott. Quick, easy, fun reads. The next one is waiting for me at the library but it can cool its heels until its two siblings show up too. Then I'll hole up in my chair and read until my eyes fall out!
Old 11-27-2013, 06:42 AM   #3180
Head Chef

On the bedtable: a piece of fluff like CG's, fast, easy -- Frozen Stiff by Annelise Ryan (a new-to-me author)

The last in a trilogy, MaddAddam by Margaret Atwood. Recently finished the second, The Year of the Flood.

And my first Elmore Leonard - Maximum Bob. Only a few pages in, trying it out -- having read several failed fluffs lately, it's almost startling how fresh and good his writing is. I should have been a serious fan by now. Lots of quality catching-up to do.