"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-04-2013, 08:32 AM   #3191
Executive Chef

I've recently discovered the architect, Mary Colter, on a PBS show about Fred Harvey. I am reading two biographys on her.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #3192
Master Chef

I am reading a cooking book titled "If You Must Cook" by Jennette Lee, it was published in 1926.

Ms. Lee started cooking when she was in her 50's because she could not find competent household help. The book gives a wonderful glimpse of daily life at a time when people were just beginning to use refrigeration. She explains how she composes her menus using leftovers from previous meals so that the majority of cooked foods can be used within 24 hours. Also some interesting tips on preventing spoilage of other foods. Many great tips and recipes for setting a good table without great expense.

Old 12-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #3193
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I am reading a cooking book titled "If You Must Cook" by Jennette Lee, it was published in 1926.

Ms. Lee started cooking when she was in her 50's because she could not find competent household help. The book gives a wonderful glimpse of daily life at a time when people were just beginning to use refrigeration. She explains how she composes her menus using leftovers from previous meals so that the majority of cooked foods can be used within 24 hours. Also some interesting tips on preventing spoilage of other foods. Many great tips and recipes for setting a good table without great expense.
Since the chances of our ever finding a copy to read ourselves, and if the thread-master doesn't nix it for digressing from the thread topic, would you mind sharing some of the interesting tips/recipes here? Sounds fascinating.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:50 AM   #3194
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post

Since the chances of our ever finding a copy to read ourselves, and if the thread-master doesn't nix it for digressing from the thread topic, would you mind sharing some of the interesting tips/recipes here? Sounds fascinating.
Or you could start a new thread for it.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #3195
Head Chef

TinLizzie----- I just saw your post asking for my favorite Elmore Leonard book--- sorry.

I'm truly at a loss to recommend any one book-----Get Shorty is one I remember--- but I've read most of them long ago. I'd say pick one like Get Shorty and see if you like it--- then move on. Wiki has a list, in case you didn't know.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #3196
Master Chef

Finished reading book 4 in the "Wine Lovers Mystery" series Monday...at 5:45AM! I have two more to read, but all three books will be dropped off at the library later this week. I'll put the titles of the unread books in my futures folder on the library website, then request them again when we are headed back from spending Christmas with our kids. Christmas with our kids! Can't wait!
Old 12-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #3197
Head Chef

I'm currently reading James W. Hall's Buzz Cut. I have a writing class with him in January at the Key West Literary Seminar and am currently trying to prepare for it.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #3198
Head Chef

Finished Buzz Cut. Now I'm reading Darkness My Old Friend by Lisa Unger. She'll be at the Literary Seminar too, so I'm trying to get a feel for her style.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #3199
Chef Extraordinaire

I just started "The Hunger Games: Catching Fire." After seeing the movie at a girls' night out a couple weeks ago, a friend loaned me the trilogy. I already read the first one.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #3200
Head Chef

I read the Hunger Games trilogy when it first out (on my Kindle) and loved them. Maybe it's time to re-read them. :)