"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-12-2014, 10:17 PM   #3281
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
I'm trying a new author by the name of Jo Nesbo. The Bat is the first in the Harry Hole series. Just started the book but so far so good.

I'm intrigued by the Cheese Shop Mysteries. That sounds like something right up my alley. Of course, I would have to stock up on cheese to really immerse myself properly. =o)
Pure torture... Cheese and Book Pairing Party...

Old 03-13-2014, 12:47 AM   #3282
Master Chef

The "Cheese Shop" mysteries are tasty! Avery Aames - A Cheese Shop Mystery series

I'm back to reading my way through magazines. I was >this.close< to finishing the stack of old ones I had, some of which had moved to MA with us. I checked out what kind of offers I could get for my Recylebank points and settled on three magazines. Since then it seems like I get a new copy sooner than once a week! Got to blow through the couple I have before my next requested book is available at the library.

Old 03-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #3283
Head Chef

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 10:43 PM   #3284
Chef Extraordinaire

Just going to start a book someone gave me...It's the 1st book in a 3 book series..The first is "Six months to live" then on to "I want to live" & the final one is "So much to live for" all written by Lurlene Daniels.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #3285
Head Chef

I'm halfway through The Widow File by S.G. Redling.

I had a hard time getting into it (maybe that was just me) but then it started to make sense and I got caught up in it.

"Dani, a data analyst with an elite security firm, possesses the unnerving ability to read people by the trash they leave behind. Receipts, parking tickets, the detritus of daily life—if you leave it behind, she will figure you out.
Her latest case involves high-tech industrial espionage at a corporation with ties to the military. But when a team of assassins sweeps through the firm, stealing all files and killing her coworkers, Dani narrowly escapes. Whoever ordered the strike thinks Dani has vital information and they put a hit man named Booker on her trail.

Armed with only her wits and a bag of random investigation materials, Dani must figure out who the enemy really is while playing a high-stakes game of cat and mouse with the cunning hit man who has an agenda of his own."

The Widow File: S.G. Redling: 9781477808610: Amazon.com: Books

Maybe I like it because of Dani's ability to 'read' trash! Just up my alley!
Old 03-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #3286
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I've started the Divergent series by Veronica Roth, I'm hooked.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #3287
Sous Chef

The Killing Zone by Frederick Downs Jr.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:06 PM   #3288
Master Chef

I'm reading "Lost: Cinderella's Secret Diary" by Ron Vitale. It is now 4 years after she married the Prince and all is not happily ever after. It's kind of interesting reading.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:58 AM   #3289
Master Chef

Halfway through "Days of Wine and Roquefort" by Avery Aames. Which explains why I haven't been around here much lately. And...I'm off again to read some more.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:42 AM   #3290
Master Chef

I just finished "What's so Funny?" Tim Conway's autobiography. I really enjoyed it since he grew up in Chagrin Falls near my hometown and graduated from BGSU where my dad went to school. In fact, they were there at the same time with Tim 2 years ahead of my dad. Now I've gotten into "This Hallowed Ground" which is the history of Arlington National Cemetery. I thought I'd read this since DH is currently working there on the Millennium Project. It's been a great read so far. Starts out with the history of the plantation and how it became the cemetery and moves through history all the way to today. There are lots of interesting stories. The chapter on Kennedy gave a lot of insight into the planning for that funeral. Also, the part I'm reading now dealt with 9/11 and the Pentagon attack. Very good stuff.