Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DH thinks i'm out of line.......don't mean to be.......sorry if I come across that way......... forgive me if I do........but do any of you like nonfiction like autobiographical, biographies,,, etc., that you can recommend..........thanks for your hep and input........debs.........

Nonfiction is fine but it really depends on the subject and how it is written. Right now, I'm reading the nonfiction "Reading Between the Signs" and "So You Want to Be an Interpreter" and over the summer I read "Language in Hand : why sign came before speech". As you can see, most of my nonfiction reading has to do with my classwork for my degree in sign language interpreting. They are not books the general population would read although if you have an interest in Deaf culture (yes, they have their own culture!) the first one mentioned would be good. For my own enjoyment however, I tend to lean toward fiction. My own life can seem so dull to me that I need that "thrill" from reading interesting fiction!

Currently reading a terrible sci-fi... but the last good book I read was Jitterbug perfume! Definitely recommend it! :)

I know......thanks, Jabbur...........if anyone comes across any good autos let me know.......hubby was right..........was in a real weepy mood last night.....not responsible for anything that I posted....:):):)

No need to apologize, epg - we are all friends here. I like nonfiction occasionally (just read Kitchen Confidential by Bourdain) and I especially like Doris Kearns Goodwin's biographies. I'm looking for her LBJ book, but hard to find here in English. My job required lots of challenging reading (statutes, regulations, legislative bills) and I got in the habit of reading for relaxation. Right now, I'm coasting with "J is for Judgment" by Sue Grafton. Fun read.

No need to apologize, epg - we are all friends here. I like nonfiction occasionally (just read Kitchen Confidential by Bourdain) and I especially like Doris Kearns Goodwin's biographies. I'm looking for her LBJ book, but hard to find here in English. My job required lots of challenging reading (statutes, regulations, legislative bills) and I got in the habit of reading for relaxation. Right now, I'm coasting with "J is for Judgment" by Sue Grafton. Fun read.

thanks for reminding me about that series. have read a lot of them . will see whats new.

Does anyone read nonfiction here? Just wondering......not an accusation.......I like nonfiction, too......

Not as much as I mean to - I like reading "lifestyle coaching" type books like "Who moved my cheese" and "The 4 hour work week". I also found "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and "Screw it let's do it" by Richard Branson very valuable reading.

Struggling through another book

I'm usually not reading anything, but for the time being I'm working my way through The Kite Runner; although it was probably big about a year ago.

GOgo, don't struggle through it ... it is too sad. If you want a taste of the culture, find his next book, which is at least hopeful.

Does anyone read nonfiction here? Just wondering......not an accusation.......I like nonfiction, too......

Yeah. That seems to be the majority of what I'm sent these days. I have an Emily Post biography, a Tiny Kline biography, the biography of the guys who own Time Bandit (the Alaskan fishing vessel of deadliest catch fame), Richard Bang's travelogue, a semi-autobiographical Vietnam account, a biography of a family that was shipwrecked on a circumnavigation... I have a couple of other books in the pipeline I should be receiving soon, and I believe one of them is another non-fiction. :wacko:

I'm halfway through Odd Thomas - did not know it was a series, took me a while to get into it, but now I am - different when I'm listening to it instead of reading, takes me longer to get into books - I downloaded it on my ipod as you may recall.

I read Spook by Mary Roach about 2 years ago. It's an interesting non fiction about the intersection of science and the afterlife. She relates some stories from history and how scientists today are studying psychic and ghostly phenomenon. She's got a good sense of humor so while there are actual studies and stuff she add her own hilarious comments to alot of stuff. Excellent writer. I'd like to read her book Stiff about cadavers but right now, I have about 15 books in the stack so it will have to wait.

Do I read nonfiction? Heck, yes, I read everything. The last nonfiction I read was "Victoria's Daughters" which got me on a real pre-WWI kick, the events that lead up to that war.

I'll read just about anything also. :) I'm currently reading "Strapless" and "Four Letters of Love". Normally I only read one book at a time, but somehow one got misplaced when I was about 1/2 way through so I started another, now I'm just working through them both.

My middle daughter Monica, gave me a book last night that she just finished, said I HAVE to read it because it's SO good. "Meet Samantha, An American Girl - Book One". It's a 55 page book and at the end there are a few pages of what life was like in 1904, she really enjoyed it and it will be a quick read. I love reading my kids books including my own. :)

Back
Top Bottom