"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-18-2014, 03:38 PM   #3401
Master Chef

Rereading "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The Apocalypse handled with British humor! Loved it the first time and enjoying another visit with it.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:22 PM   #3402
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Rereading "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The Apocalypse handled with British humor! Loved it the first time and enjoying another visit with it.

I love that story!

Old 06-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #3403
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
Darn it all, I just had to go and read the synopsis of Good Omens on Amazon. Another book is on its way.

I just downloaded three books to my kindle as well.

1. Gold Digger, A Klondike Mystery/ Vicki Delany
2. A Cold White Sun, A Constable Mollie Smith Mystery / Vicki Delany
3. The Frozen Shroud, A Lake District Mystery / Martin Edwards

I have so many books on my "to be read" pile it's ridiculous. I have a number of Terry Pratchett books, Neil Gaiman books, and for some reason I just had to have the Barsetshire Chronicles by Anthony Trollope. (What was I thinking.)

The book hoarders prayer, "Oh Lord, let me live long enough to get all my books." Amen.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:02 PM   #3404
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post
Darn it all, I just had to go and read the synopsis of Good Omens on Amazon. Another book is on its way.

I have so many books on my "to be read" pile it's ridiculous. I have a number of Terry Pratchett books, Neil Gaiman books, and for some reason I just had to have the Barsetshire Chronicles by Anthony Trollope. (What was I thinking.)

The book hoarders prayer, "Oh Lord, let me live long enough to get all my books." Amen.
You are going to LOVE it!
Old 06-19-2014, 05:44 PM   #3405
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I have started F Paul Wilson's LaNague Federation series.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #3406
Executive Chef

Parcel came from Amazon the other day and I sat and read "The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon" (latest in Alexander McAll Smith's "No 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series) in one sitting. Have read them all to date and love them. Not intellectually stimulating but who cares. They're a comfortable, comforting read.

Then I sat down with "The Wyndham Case" (the first of Jill Paton Walsh's "Imogen Quy" mysteries.) A bit predictable - I'd spotted both the murderer and why he killed the victim about 1/3 of the way through despite the red herrings but it was still a good read (and a quick one). Having read the first I might read more of them.

Also bought 2 Nigella Lawsons (Christmas and Summer) Wild extravagance - one penny each + £2.80 postage and packing? I used to be a bit (well, a lot, really) sniffy about her but I'm coming round. I still don't think I'd splash £20 on a copy but Amazon's secondhand sales are great. "Forever Summer" has comments in the former owner's hand writing on some of the recipes. I love that.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #3407
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Not intellectually stimulating but who cares. They're a comfortable, comforting read.
UP WITH COZY MYSTERIES! At the end of a long day a comfortable, comforting read is just what the doctor ordered. Something to help you escape from the daily grind.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:21 PM   #3408
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyap View Post

When reading the "Barsetshire Chronicles" think Alan Rickman as Obadiah Slope (he was the Sheriff of Nottingham in "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves"). He was just SO right in the television serialisation of the Barsetshires. PF is right you'll love them
Old 06-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #3409
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
When reading the "Barsetshire Chronicles" think Alan Rickman as Obadiah Slope (he was the Sheriff of Nottingham in "Robin Hood Prince of Thieves"). He was just SO right in the television serialisation of the Barsetshires. PF is right you'll love them
I was giving Thumbs up for Good Omens, by Pratchett and Gaiman.

Speaking of which, I am almost done with Gaiman's, Ocean at the End of the Lane. Excellent scary story!
Old 06-19-2014, 11:06 PM   #3410
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Been on a Carl Hiaasen kick, currently re-reading Bad Monkey, I love it. The pirate monkey that is on the cover is actually getting tattooed on me in 2 weeks. I've worked my way through about a dozen of his books now, thanks to airport layovers, and have really grown to enjoy the heck out of him.