"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-26-2014, 08:48 AM   #3511
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm reading "A Pig in Provence." Fun read, with recipes.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:30 PM   #3512
Senior Cook

A farewell to arms

I'm currently reading A FAREWELL TO ARMS (1929) by Ernest Hemingway. I'm a senior citizen catching up on classic 20th Century novels that I didn't read when I was younger. Reading GRAPES OF WRATH got me started on catching up. You are never to old to improve your mind.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:55 AM   #3513
Master Chef

I've been working my way through Christy Barritt- Award-Winning Suspense and Mystery Author Squeaky Clean Mysteries. These are interesting mystery stories and the characters are wonderful. Not too violent, not too bloody gross, just fun to read! I'm on book 8 right now which is the latest in the series.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:09 AM   #3514
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sutton View Post
I'm currently reading A FAREWELL TO ARMS (1929) by Ernest Hemingway. I'm a senior citizen catching up on classic 20th Century novels that I didn't read when I was younger. Reading GRAPES OF WRATH got me started on catching up. You are never to old to improve your mind.
Guess that's what I'm doing, too, Max. I began with some of Mark Twain's works after enjoying a recent PBS series about him. That sort of got the ball rolling and I've really had a good time reading things I've heard about all my life but never read.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #3515
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Guess that's what I'm doing, too, Max. I began with some of Mark Twain's works after enjoying a recent PBS series about him. That sort of got the ball rolling and I've really had a good time reading things I've heard about all my life but never read.
One cool thing about classics is that they're out of copyright, so you can download them for free to read on an electronic device. I started reading the complete Sherlock Holmes last winter, then got away from it for a while. I'll get back to it when it's colder and I have more time for uninterrupted reading.
Old 09-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #3516
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
One cool thing about classics is that they're out of copyright, so you can download them for free to read on an electronic device. I started reading the complete Sherlock Holmes last winter, then got away from it for a while. I'll get back to it when it's colder and I have more time for uninterrupted reading.
I doubt that I'll ever succumb to reading by way of an electronic device. I much, much prefer turning a page. I've just given in to audio books and only because listening to a book via audio I can pursue another of my favorite activities, such as knitting or crocheting.

Fortunately, too, our regional library is quite good and I have no trouble acquiring any book I might wish to read.
Old 09-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #3517
Chef Extraordinaire

i'm reading the u.s. army's fm 21-76 survival manual.

pretty neat stuff. i can't wait to start survival training with the scouts in a year or so.

i remember earning my survival merit badge. i was given a knife, a wool blanket, and a pound of ground beef and was dropped off in the woods by myself for a day and a night. we had to make fire, build a shelter, find water, and cook the meat.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:06 PM   #3518
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I doubt that I'll ever succumb to reading by way of an electronic device. I much, much prefer turning a page. I've just given in to audio books and only because listening to a book via audio I can pursue another of my favorite activities, such as knitting or crocheting.

Fortunately, too, our regional library is quite good and I have no trouble acquiring any book I might wish to read.
I used to feel that way until I bought my Kindle. There are a number of sites to get books free or at low cost and I have about 70 books backed up right now.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:58 PM   #3519
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I used to feel that way until I bought my Kindle. There are a number of sites to get books free or at low cost and I have about 70 books backed up right now.
I'm not resistant to change and, in fact, my best friend loaned me her Kindle a while back. I was curious and she was kind enough to share hers. I just flat out didn't like it.

Then, there's the frugal part of me that just cannot purchase something, not necessary for life, that I'll just let sit or dispose of after one use. I don't even buy "regular" books, with the exception of a cookbook now and then. That's why I enjoy the library so much.

One of my greatest pleasures in life is to look around me and see all the books that are awaiting my hands and mind. Sometimes I feel like a child in a candy store. Omigosh, which book do I pick up to read today?!

I do have a very limited personal library of hardback books that represent my very, very most favorite reads. I cherish them as I do an old friend.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #3520
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just finished Don Quixote de la Mancha and thoroughly enjoyed every tale and adventure. My only regret is that I hadn't read it sooner.

Now I'm devouring The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom. Don't know why I picked it up at the library but it just seemed to call to me. It is fantastic and is Grissom's first novel. Boy! I hope she writes more.

If you read and enjoyed The Secret Life of Bees and/or The Help, you'll love this book. I started it yesterday morning and, by mid-afternoon, I'd read more than half of its 350+ pages. I just could not put it down. I want to consume the rest of it but I also don't want it to end. What a delicious dilemma!