"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #3521
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,248
Just finished up "The Good, the Bad, and the Emus" by Donna Andrews. I'll be returning Meg Langslow and her crazy crew to the library later today and now have to wait until the next book comes out. I think it's in December. Yay!
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:47 PM   #3522
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,852
I just finished "Micro" by Michael Crichton. If you like thrillers and gardening (specifically botany and entomology), you'll love this. Weird-sounding combo, I know, but the detail on the interactions of plants and bugs is terrific.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #3523
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I just finished "Micro" by Michael Crichton. If you like thrillers and gardening (specifically botany and entomology), you'll love this. Weird-sounding combo, I know, but the detail on the interactions of plants and bugs is terrific.
I have that in a "To Read" box somewhere. Problem is with all the books that keep following me home, my "To Read" box is really about 6 boxes.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:16 PM   #3524
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Just about to start "Half of a Yellow Sun" by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche. It's set around the Nigerian civil war in the 1960s. I've had it on the shelf for a few years but have never got round to reading it.
__________________
Donít look for the light at the end of the tunnel. Stomp along and switch the bl**dy thing on yourself.
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:16 PM   #3525
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
In the last several months, plenty of urban fantasy:

Harrison, Kim "Ever After" (Hollows #11)
Harrison, Kim "Once Dead, Twice Shy" (Madison Avery series vol. 1)
Harrison, Kim "Something Deadly This Way Comes (M. A. ser. vol. 3)
Harrison, Kim "Early to Death, Early to Rise" (M. A. series vol. 2
Harrison, Kim "Into The Woods"
Briggs, Patricia "Frost Burned" (Mercy Thompson #)
Kane, Stacia "Unholy Ghosts" (Downside #1)
Moning, Karen Marie "Iced" (A Fever Novel #1)
Kane, Stacia "Unholy Magic" (Downside #2)
Kane, Stacia "City of Ghosts" (Downsie #3)
Ward, J. R. "Covet" (Fallen Angels #1)
Ward, J. R. "Crave" (fallen Angels #2)
Kane, Stacia "Sacrificial Magic (Downside #4)
Kane, Stacia "Chasing Magic (Downside #5)
Kane, Stacia "Finding Magic - novella" (Downside: prequel)
Chance, Karen "Touch the Dark" (Cassie Palmer #1)
Chance, Karen "Claimed by Shadow" (Cassie Palmer #2)
Chance, Karen "Embrace the Night" (Cassie Palmer #3)
Chance, Karen "Curse the Dawn" (Cassie Palmer #4)
Chance, Karen "Hunt the Moon" (Cassie Palmer #5)
Chance, Karen "Tempt The Stars" (Cassie Palmer #6)
Briggs, Patricia "Night Broken" (Mercy Thompson #8)
Frost, Jeaniene" Halfway to the Grave" (Night Huntress #1)
Singh, Nalini "Angels' Blood" (Guild Hunter #1)
Harrison, Kim "The Undead Pool" (Hollows #12)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Kiss" (Guild Hunter #2)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Consort" (Guild Hunter #3)
Chance, Karen "Midnight's Daughter" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #1)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Blade" (Guild Hunter #4)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Storm" (Guild Hunter #5)
Frost, Jeaniene "One Foot in the Grave" (Night Huntress #2)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Legion" (Guild Hunter #6)
Frost, Jeaniene "At Grave's End" (Night Huntress #3)
Frost, Jeaniene "This Side of the Grave" (Night Huntress #4)
Chance, Karen "Death's Mistress" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #2)
Frost, Jeaniene "One Grave at a Time" (Night Huntress #4)
Chance, Karen "Fury's Kiss" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #3)
Briggs, Patricia "Masques" (Sianim Series #1)
Frost, Jeaniene "Up From the Grave" (Night Huntress #5)
Maas, Sarah J. "Throne of Glass" (Throne of Glass #1)
Maas, Sarah J. "Crown of Midnight" (Throne of Glass #2)
Harrison, Kim "The Witch with No Name" (Hollows #13)
Briggs, Patricia "Steal the Dragon" (Sianim Series #2)
Briggs, Patricia "When Demons Walk" (Sianim Series #3)

To me they are the new SciFi. I used to love SciFi but science caught up with SciFi and I no longer enjoy the novels. Fantasy is a refreshing change of pace because it's impossible to ever catch up because really there is no magic.

As you can see they run in series. It's nice because if you like one (the debut?) you are likely to enjoy the sequels.

However I notice that Lee Child has published 3 books since I forgot about tracking him, his Jack Reacher series, so it's back to mystery/suspense/action for me soon.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for my reserves Nalini Singh's and Karen Marie Moning's recently published novels--I'm in the wait queue at the library.

Lately I'm getting almost all my books as ebooks from public libraries. It's really nice to find the book online (Overdrive Media Console app) and be reading it a few minutes later. I have accounts at 7-8 libraries so I often find the books I want quickly, including 5-6 in California, and Santa Fe NM and Phoenix AZ. I collect libraries.

Good cookbooks on the other hand I buy hard covers! :)
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #3526
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
In the last several months, plenty of urban fantasy:

Harrison, Kim "Ever After" (Hollows #11)
Harrison, Kim "Once Dead, Twice Shy" (Madison Avery series vol. 1)
Harrison, Kim "Something Deadly This Way Comes (M. A. ser. vol. 3)
Harrison, Kim "Early to Death, Early to Rise" (M. A. series vol. 2
Harrison, Kim "Into The Woods"
Briggs, Patricia "Frost Burned" (Mercy Thompson #)
Kane, Stacia "Unholy Ghosts" (Downside #1)
Moning, Karen Marie "Iced" (A Fever Novel #1)
Kane, Stacia "Unholy Magic" (Downside #2)
Kane, Stacia "City of Ghosts" (Downsie #3)
Ward, J. R. "Covet" (Fallen Angels #1)
Ward, J. R. "Crave" (fallen Angels #2)
Kane, Stacia "Sacrificial Magic (Downside #4)
Kane, Stacia "Chasing Magic (Downside #5)
Kane, Stacia "Finding Magic - novella" (Downside: prequel)
Chance, Karen "Touch the Dark" (Cassie Palmer #1)
Chance, Karen "Claimed by Shadow" (Cassie Palmer #2)
Chance, Karen "Embrace the Night" (Cassie Palmer #3)
Chance, Karen "Curse the Dawn" (Cassie Palmer #4)
Chance, Karen "Hunt the Moon" (Cassie Palmer #5)
Chance, Karen "Tempt The Stars" (Cassie Palmer #6)
Briggs, Patricia "Night Broken" (Mercy Thompson #8)
Frost, Jeaniene" Halfway to the Grave" (Night Huntress #1)
Singh, Nalini "Angels' Blood" (Guild Hunter #1)
Harrison, Kim "The Undead Pool" (Hollows #12)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Kiss" (Guild Hunter #2)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Consort" (Guild Hunter #3)
Chance, Karen "Midnight's Daughter" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #1)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Blade" (Guild Hunter #4)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Storm" (Guild Hunter #5)
Frost, Jeaniene "One Foot in the Grave" (Night Huntress #2)
Singh, Nalini "Archangel's Legion" (Guild Hunter #6)
Frost, Jeaniene "At Grave's End" (Night Huntress #3)
Frost, Jeaniene "This Side of the Grave" (Night Huntress #4)
Chance, Karen "Death's Mistress" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #2)
Frost, Jeaniene "One Grave at a Time" (Night Huntress #4)
Chance, Karen "Fury's Kiss" (Dorina Basarab, Damphir #3)
Briggs, Patricia "Masques" (Sianim Series #1)
Frost, Jeaniene "Up From the Grave" (Night Huntress #5)
Maas, Sarah J. "Throne of Glass" (Throne of Glass #1)
Maas, Sarah J. "Crown of Midnight" (Throne of Glass #2)
Harrison, Kim "The Witch with No Name" (Hollows #13)
Briggs, Patricia "Steal the Dragon" (Sianim Series #2)
Briggs, Patricia "When Demons Walk" (Sianim Series #3)

To me they are the new SciFi. I used to love SciFi but science caught up with SciFi and I no longer enjoy the novels. Fantasy is a refreshing change of pace because it's impossible to ever catch up because really there is no magic.

As you can see they run in series. It's nice because if you like one (the debut?) you are likely to enjoy the sequels.

However I notice that Lee Child has published 3 books since I forgot about tracking him, his Jack Reacher series, so it's back to mystery/suspense/action for me soon.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for my reserves Nalini Singh's and Karen Marie Moning's recently published novels--I'm in the wait queue at the library.

Lately I'm getting almost all my books as ebooks from public libraries. It's really nice to find the book online (Overdrive Media Console app) and be reading it a few minutes later. I have accounts at 7-8 libraries so I often find the books I want quickly, including 5-6 in California, and Santa Fe NM and Phoenix AZ. I collect libraries.

Good cookbooks on the other hand I buy hard covers! :)
Good heavens that's a lot of books. I used to read like that. I need to start spending the occasional day off reading again.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #3527
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,481
I started Sophie's choice but had to put it down. DH ended up in the hospital this weekend (he's better) and it was just too dense to hold my attention. Needed something light. So I'm reading "Magic Mirror" by Micheala Thompson. It's about a museum in France that supposedly has the mirror of Nostradamus and it gets stolen. So far an interesting read.
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 08:01 PM   #3528
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I started Sophie's choice but had to put it down. DH ended up in the hospital this weekend (he's better) and it was just too dense to hold my attention. Needed something light. So I'm reading "Magic Mirror" by Micheala Thompson. It's about a museum in France that supposedly has the mirror of Nostradamus and it gets stolen. So far an interesting read.

Oh no! Hoping your DH recovers quickly, Jabbur!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:09 PM   #3529
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Good heavens that's a lot of books. I used to read like that. I need to start spending the occasional day off reading again.
It's most of a year! I read every night beginning about 8-9 p.m. until I get sleepy and put away my iPad. (I read mostly ebooks now.)

I posted the list in case anybody is interested in urban fantasy, which as I said is mostly what I've been reading lately.

However I just began catching up with Lee Child's Jack Reacher series, A Wanted Man (#17). It turned out to be so suspenseful that I stayed up until around 2 a.m. and only put it down because I didn't want to feel crappy today from staying up too late and not getting enough sleep.

I have the next two Reacher novels to catch up to being current in the series, but I think I'll throw some more urban fantasy in between so as to not glut myself. Lee Child's books are so intense and suspenseful that they are difficult to put down!
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #3530
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I started Sophie's choice but had to put it down. DH ended up in the hospital this weekend (he's better) and it was just too dense to hold my attention. Needed something light. So I'm reading "Magic Mirror" by Micheala Thompson. It's about a museum in France that supposedly has the mirror of Nostradamus and it gets stolen. So far an interesting read.
I hope DH is doing well.
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I'm going to make a meatloaf tomorrow and was wondering SizzlininIN Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison 23 02-17-2005 12:50 PM


» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.