"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2015, 01:05 AM   #3551
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I just ordered "Wild". Can't wait till it gets here. Much of the locale is near where I live and play, and close to my daughter and SIL's cabin up in Kennedy Meadows. It should be a fantastic read. Also want to see the movie, but I want to read the book first.
I think you'll really enjoy "Wild" Cheryl. I liked the movie a lot too, but like you, I'm glad I read the book first. Reese Witherspoon did a fantastic job with the movie, but as always the movie lacked the details.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:22 PM   #3552
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Just finished "Unnatural Death" by Dorothy L Sayers and "Pardonable Lies" (The third "Maisie Dobbs" novel. Mysteries with a difference) Both good.

About to start (when it arrives) "Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything." by Elizabeth Gilbert, which is our February book group choice. I've made the mistake of reading the Amazon reviews both on .co.uk and .com and there are some real humdingers!

Has anyone read it and what did you think of it?
Just finished the 5th "Maisie Dobbs" mystery, "An Incomplete Revenge" by Jacqueline Winspear. Can't wait for number 6. The author was born and brought up in Kent in the south of England but is now based in the USA.

The books are set in the 1920s and 30s and her detective is a young Englishwoman who was severely affected by her service as a nurse in France during the 1914-18 war. She's also a psychologist and this and the long term effects of the war in some part affect her cases. Don't expect a warm and cuddly Miss Marple.

The author portrays the England of the time very well with only the occasional minor lapses reflecting the writer's American background - mostly they don't affect the plot. I'd recommend reading "Maisie Dobbs" the first book in the series as, whilst it is a stand-alone read, it does set the scene for the following books but it isn't essential.

I've just started the next choice for our book group. "Eat, Pray, Love : One Woman's Search for Everything" by Elizabeth Gilbert. The Amazon reviews included some really awful ones and I'm beginning to see what they mean. Self-obsession and navel-gazing seems to be a strong thread so far! I have a feeling it will need a deal of determination not to throw it through the nearest window!

Old 01-27-2015, 01:15 AM   #3553
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I think you'll really enjoy "Wild" Cheryl. I liked the movie a lot too, but like you, I'm glad I read the book first. Reese Witherspoon did a fantastic job with the movie, but as always the movie lacked the details.
I can hardly wait till my book arrives, Kay. It isn't playing yet in the theater here, so I should have plenty of time to read it before I go see it.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:22 PM   #3554
Master Chef

"Wild" arrived today, so I've been doing a lot of reading on this gray and cloudy day. Love it so far.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #3555
Master Chef

Warning: Spoiler alert.

If you have teenagers at home, steer them clear away from reading "Every Day" by D. Levithan. My DW picked up one for our daughter, unfortunately I only found out latter about the book, after I picked it up in the bathroom. Ok, I am a religious man and my views are slanted, I will admit that. And it is not that I am against parents talking to children about sex, or kids reading about sex from the scientific point of view. But I hate books that promote sex, promote promiscuity. Hate books where kids that are having sex are consider "the cool crowd" and those of our children who are innocent enough to simply have fun with their friends, to have fun playing sports or music, doing their homework and work hard in school are considered "not cool".
Old 02-13-2015, 05:22 PM   #3556
Head Chef

David Baldacci. "The Target".

Finished "The Hit". and this was next in line.
Old 02-13-2015, 06:25 PM   #3557
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Warning: Spoiler alert.

If you have teenagers at home, steer them clear away from reading "Every Day" by D. Levithan. My DW picked up one for our daughter, unfortunately I only found out latter about the book, after I picked it up in the bathroom. Ok, I am a religious man and my views are slanted, I will admit that. And it is not that I am against parents talking to children about sex, or kids reading about sex from the scientific point of view. But I hate books that promote sex, promote promiscuity. Hate books where kids that are having sex are consider "the cool crowd" and those of our children who are innocent enough to simply have fun with their friends, to have fun playing sports or music, doing their homework and work hard in school are considered "not cool".
I haven't heard of this one. What age of child is it aimed at? Hopefully the "cool Crowd" will get their come-uppance.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #3558
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
David Baldacci. "The Target".

Finished "The Hit". and this was next in line.
Those were both good books. Love the characters.
Old 02-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #3559
Chef Extraordinaire

My mom gave need the first three novels of the Earth's Children series, starting with The Clan of the Cave Bear. I've read that and I am halfway through The Valley of Horses. I'm really enjoying the series. Has anyone else read these books?
Old 02-15-2015, 03:08 PM   #3560
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
My mom gave need the first three novels of the Earth's Children series, starting with The Clan of the Cave Bear. I've read that and I am halfway through The Valley of Horses. I'm really enjoying the series. Has anyone else read these books?

I read them milleniums ago, when I was in college. Really enjoyed them.