"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-11-2015, 06:38 PM   #3591
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I like Greg Iles's first book, "Black Cross." It is a real suspense thriller, his best book IMO. It's about WW II and poison gas. "Black cross" was the code word for the most deadly gas.

I've just finished Anne Bishop's Black Jewels trilogy - now extended, decided to try her "The Others" series and I am totally enchanted by the series debut "Written in Red."

Note the Anne Bishop books are hardcore fantasy. I'm loving this Others series because I know if the rest are as good as the debut I won't have any problems finding reading material for some time

I thought Spandau Phoenix was his first book.

It's the one that got me hooked.

Black Cross was good too.

Word to the wise. Don't read Natchez Burning as it's the first of a trilogy and you will want to read the next one before it's a paperback. I'm going to go against my "frugal" (cheap) nature and buy The Bone Tree in hardcover.

Haven't read any Anne Bishop but if you like Greg Iles I guess I'd better check her out.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #3592
Senior Cook

I'm currently reading Containment (Children of Occam, book 1) - by Christian Cantrell.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:32 PM   #3593
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I'm not reading anything, too busy packing boxes.
Old 05-12-2015, 03:38 AM   #3594
Master Chef

Finished Kate Mulgrew's "Born with Teeth".

After a few PMs back and forth with Cheryl about "true crime", I'll be starting a book about the Neil Entwistle case. I've read one other book by the author, Michele McPhee, so I don't expect anything better than a middle-school essay, but reading the details of the case all at once (as opposed to snippets in newspaper articles) should be interesting.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #3595
Head Chef

Started Lee Child's "Personal"

It's another Jack Reacher novel but once you get hooked on a character you have to read it.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:19 PM   #3596
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

After a few PMs back and forth with Cheryl about "true crime", I'll be starting a book about the Neil Entwistle case. I've read one other book by the author, Michele McPhee, so I don't expect anything better than a middle-school essay, but reading the details of the case all at once (as opposed to snippets in newspaper articles) should be interesting.
I was unaware that Kate Mulgrew wrote any books. She remains one of my favorite actresses, I enjoyed her work on Star Trek: Voyager and Warehouse 13.. I'll have to check out this book.

Thank you for posting about this :)
Old 05-13-2015, 12:52 AM   #3597
Master Chef

I think it's the only book she's written, ardchoille. It's an autobiography. Although I didn't watch too many of the Voyager episodes, at one time Mulgrew was married to a Cleveland/Cuyahoga county politician. I guess I was interested in the book because I'm from Cleveland originally. It was a good read, but nothing deep. I guess it could be considered a Beach Read if I actually went to the beach.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:14 PM   #3598
Master Chef

I was wondering if it was THAT Kate Mulgrew! Dating myself here, but I remember her as Mary Ryan from years back on the soap series "Ryan's Hope". Loved her then, and loved her in Star Trek.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:19 PM   #3599
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Yeah, we've gone back and forth with the crime story PM's... Let me know what you think about the book, CG.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:43 AM   #3600
Master Chef

I'm halfway through it, Chery. All I found so far were two grammar errors. It looks like Michele pulled her writing style a little tighter, and it has been reading better than the first one I read. Lots of little details I don't remember from the news reports from back then. Boy, Neil was one evil...guy.