"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #3611
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

I've always enjoyed your book reviews, Greg, whether I read the books or not right this minute! Keep on reviewing!

Old 06-11-2015, 08:16 PM   #3612
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'll appreciate an opinion on whether anybody has enjoyed my comments and reviews in this section. I had hoped to influence people to read some of the books I enjoy but I have the feeling I am not succeeding. There is no point in me typing if nobody is reading.
Keep on typing Mr. Greg.

I see this thread as a place to tell others what they are reading and they are free to take it from there.

Every new author and or title is something to investigate for me.

I don't see this as a book discussion thread.

If you'd like to debate the books start a thread on discussing what books you feel you'd like to discuss.

I'm always looking for new reading material and seeing what others read points me in different directions.

I do pay attention to your posts and would like to see you continue.

It's the Internet my friend. And most of the time we don't get things as we might want to believe they should be.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:44 PM   #3613
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Keep on typing Mr. Greg.

I see this thread as a place to tell others what they are reading and they are free to take it from there.

Every new author and or title is something to investigate for me...
What Zagut said. We all have different tastes and likes in what we read. I enjoy reading your posts, but after each very thorough summary I think to myself "yup, still don't like sci-fi/fantasy". Different strokes for different folks.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #3614
Master Chef

I just finished "Pavilion of Women" by Pearl Buck. Wonderful read. Now I'm trying to decide what to read next. Got a lot on my kindle and a few DTBs to choose from.
Old 06-14-2015, 01:16 PM   #3615
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just finished Invisible by James Patterson. Holy Christmas, Batman! Can that man ever weave a tale!! I'm usually pretty good at figuring out complex plots but this one was a real brain-bender. I must've thought I had it figured out 14 times before I finished it. Each time I knew I had it, he threw me a huge curve!

Highly recommend!!!! I give it a gazillion thumbs up!
Old 06-14-2015, 03:24 PM   #3616
Senior Cook

Hi Jabbar...I'm a member here, but mostly lurk cause I'm too busy reading! :-) I do read all the posts, and yours caught my eye because I loved Pavilion of Women too. I also saw the movie based on the book, and it was good, even though most aren't that are based on books. Just my two cents worth today.

I'm reading Margaret Maron's "Judge Deborah Knott series"...number 17 and enjoying them, they are set in N.Carolina.
Old 06-14-2015, 08:09 PM   #3617
Executive Chef

Thanks for the comments. I only discuss books if I think others will enjoy them. I get book ideas from reading topics like this.

Invisible by James Patterson sounds good, I'll add it to my list.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #3618
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersDozen View Post
Hi Jabbar...I'm a member here, but mostly lurk cause I'm too busy reading! :-) I do read all the posts, and yours caught my eye because I loved Pavilion of Women too. I also saw the movie based on the book, and it was good, even though most aren't that are based on books. Just my two cents worth today.

I'm reading Margaret Maron's "Judge Deborah Knott series"...number 17 and enjoying them, they are set in N.Carolina.
I didn't know there was a movie. I'll have to check it out. I'm currently reading "Miracle at Higher Grounds Cafe" by Max Lucado. He usually writes inspirational/educational books about faith. This is a novel. I'm enjoying the positive vibes coming from the story for a change.
Old 06-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #3619
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Who Cooks View Post
I'll appreciate an opinion on whether anybody has enjoyed my comments and reviews in this section. I had hoped to influence people to read some of the books I enjoy but I have the feeling I am not succeeding. There is no point in me typing if nobody is reading.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
What Zagut said. We all have different tastes and likes in what we read. I enjoy reading your posts, but after each very thorough summary I think to myself "yup, still don't like sci-fi/fantasy". Different strokes for different folks.
For me, I'll never be influenced to read your choices Greg, but others could be interested. What I find most helpful on this thread is to offer a link for the book where we can learn more about it to see if it sounds personally interesting. I certainly don't expect to influence anyone to like my choices.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #3620
Senior Cook

Your new book sounds good, I've added the title to my books to read list. Hope you get to see the movie...I liked it alot. I finished the Margaret Maron book, and have started "Empire of the Sun" by Julie Otsuka...pretty good so far. Its set in 1942 and I have the second book "The Buddha in the Attic" to follow it. Both are short reads.