"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-10-2015, 11:01 PM   #3631
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
...Look for Virginia Rich and the Eugenia Potter books. I think Virginia Rich only finished three before she died. "The Cooking School Murders", "The Nantucket Diet Murders", and "The Baked Bean Supper Murders".
I read those years ago! I enjoyed them so much. Even copied a couple of the recipes that were printed inside the covers, intending to make them some day. Did I ever tell you that my road to hell is very well paved???

Old 07-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #3632
Master Chef

Started reading my next "White House Chef" mystery in the series - I'm a book behind! Last night I sat down with "Home of the Braised", intending to read just a couple of chapters. By the time I closed the book I was nearly half-done!

Old 07-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #3633
Master Chef

I'm reading "The Sound and the Furry" by Spencer Quinn. I have "Paw and Order" up next. I enjoy Chet and Bernie.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #3634
Head Chef

"Last Night in Twisted River" by John Irving.

It was in the box and it's a keeper.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #3635
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
I'm reading "The Sound and the Furry" by Spencer Quinn. I have "Paw and Order" up next. I enjoy Chet and Bernie.

Love Chet and Bernie. Will have to check out "Paw and Order".

I'm reading "Just the Pits", by Jinx Schwartz. She writes a mystery series with a lot of humor, and has a great understanding of the Mexican culture.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 PM   #3636
Master Chef

I just finished the last page of the first book... Amazon.com: North and South (North and South Trilogy Part One) (9780451200815): John Jakes: Books
It was a very long read but I'm blown away by the power of this unforgettable and remarkable historical novel. I could hardly put it down. I expect the same with the next two volumes.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #3637
Senior Cook

i jut finished "Home Sweet Everywhere" by Lynne Martin. This couple sold their house, put stuff in storage, and lived in apartments in Europe and North Africa for 3 years.
It is a fascinating book. I can relate to the downsizing-when Kayelle and I got married we had to take all the stuff in 2 1800 sq foot houses we had each lived in for 30 years and get it into one 1400 sq ft home. Needless to say, there were piles of stuff for Salvation Army.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:54 AM   #3638
Master Chef

jabbur, I never heard of the Spencer Quinn books (I tend to read books featuring cats and/or recipes). After looking over a few on Goodreads I added Quinn to my authors list. I have more TBR books and ideas than I have years left to read, I'm afraid.

After starting "Home of the Braised" on Sunday, I finished it up Monday night. The next book in the series ("All the President's Menus") is waiting for me in my book basket. I intend to do a fair amount of garage sale pricing tomorrow and Thursday before I'll allow myself to open it up.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #3639
Master Chef

When I first read Dog On It, I could see our dog Ollie very clearly as the Chet character. I had to put off reading these latest 2 books since putting Ollie down this spring. Now that we have Abby, I felt I could read them now. He has a new one just released called "Scents and Sensibilities" that I'll put on my list to get when it comes out in paperback.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #3640
Chef Extraordinaire

Nothing too exciting here. I tend to read about food. I have been reading a lot of various chapters in various culinary textbooks on layering flavors and flavor enhancers, Cheese pairings, and what format works for written recipes best. Oh, when not reading about food, I've been taking the mystery basket contents on Chopped and figuring out what I'd make, what flavor profile, what I would grab from the pantry, and how I would plate it. I've come up with some interesting ideas. Does anyone else cook along? I've almost filled a notebook with ideas and partial recipes (no measurements/weights).