"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #3661
Senior Cook

Have never been into novels, mysteries, or books that tell stories. Right now I'm reading The Big Idea by Danny Deutsch. It's about entrepreneurial dreams and making them happen. He use to have a show years ago on this which was really interesting.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #3662
Certified Cake Maniac

I am currently reading a Kindle book on how to write Kindle books . Seriously, I have been encouraged for quite awhile now to write about my experiences with bipolar and chronic pain and electronic publishing seems to be the way to go these days. The book gives a 15 day program, but I have spent half of that just on the first two "days"!

But it is a very interesting read.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #3663
Master Chef

I am reading Peter Robinson's, In The Dark Places. It's an Inspector Alan Banks mystery.
Old 09-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #3664
Senior Cook

I'm reading...

Good Morning!
Its been awhile since I've posted something, so thought I'd add my two-cents worth about a book I just finished this morning. I'm a huge fan of author Elly Griffiths, love her mystery series with Ruth Galloway, an archeologist (s) and now she has a new mystery series. Its called A Magic Men Mystery and the book I just finished is titled, "The Zig-Zag Girl", set in postwar Brighton, and takes readers on a wild ride full of mayhem, magic and murder. I didn't think I would like it when I first started it, but it sweeps you in and grabs you.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:36 PM   #3665
Master Chef

I just finished up the latest Scrapbooking Mystery, "Parchment and Old Lace". Now I'm working my way through a memoir book that looked intriguing when I glanced through it my last trip to the library, Titled "Life from Scratch", most of the book reads like an autobiography with a few recipes tossed in. Surprisingly, I'm rather enjoying it!
Old 10-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #3666
Senior Cook

Spooky Stories of the Southwest.
Tomorrow I will start Black in the Box by Russell Blake.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:11 AM   #3667
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Over the last several months I have been captivated by a series of books by Fern Michaels. Three in particular have caught my interest and they all intertwine, with the characters being woven from series to series. Makes for interesting reading and I am fascinated with the personalities of the characters.

They are specifically the Texas, Vegas and Kentucky ones. The Vegas series is comprised of 4 books, the other two have 3 books each. I'm just now finishing up the last one of the Kentucky grouping.

All the stories are good and I am especially enjoying this last series because it is set in my home state so I can relate to the geography, etc. The Kentucky Derby plays an important part in all three, which is great fun for me because I can envision all the gorgeous horse farms in and around Lexington, along with the beautiful horses. I'm going to be a just a little bit sad when I finish this last book.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:14 PM   #3668
Head Chef

My extensive Lenovo manual for my new laptop!
Old 10-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #3669
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The Martian, by Andy Weir. Almost finished and loving the heck out of it.
Old 10-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #3670
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Over the last several months I have been captivated by a series of books by Fern Michaels. Three in particular have caught my interest and they all intertwine, with the characters being woven from series to series. Makes for interesting reading and I am fascinated with the personalities of the characters.

They are specifically the Texas, Vegas and Kentucky ones. The Vegas series is comprised of 4 books, the other two have 3 books each. I'm just now finishing up the last one of the Kentucky grouping.

All the stories are good and I am especially enjoying this last series because it is set in my home state so I can relate to the geography, etc. The Kentucky Derby plays an important part in all three, which is great fun for me because I can envision all the gorgeous horse farms in and around Lexington, along with the beautiful horses. I'm going to be a just a little bit sad when I finish this last book.
Like you Katie, I was completely captivated by this series! It made such an impression on me, and I still remember the Coleman family even though its been over 20 years since I read the series. I might have to read them again - I think I'll stop by the used book store today.

"The Sisterhood" series by Fern Michaels are good reads, too. There are about 10 if I recall, it should say on her website. None of her books have topped the Texas, etc. series though, IMO. I too remember being disappointed when I finished the last in that series - I wanted it to go on....