"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-24-2016, 11:47 AM   #3711
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I could not make it any further than page 27 in this book. Page 27! Let's just say most of the posts here on DC are better reading.

Returned to the library, and picked up another non-cookbook cooking book: "My Kitchen Year: 136 Recipes That Saved My Life" by Ruth Reichll. I'm more hopeful for this book, since I've seen Ruth Reichl on "The Chew" and she has been interesting to watch and listen to. I should be offline for the night soon, and plan on cracking the book open for a a bit of reading before hitting the sack.
Thanks for that link to Goodreads CG. I read the free preview and it looks like something I'd like too.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:05 PM   #3712
Master Chef

This is my current read and I'm reminded again why Jeffery Archer is one of my favorite authors. I'm chomping at the bit for book number 2 of the Clifton series.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...&from_nav=true

Old 02-24-2016, 12:28 PM   #3713
Master Chef

PS...Here's more about the Clifton Chronicles..
Series Review: The Clifton Chronicles by Jeffrey Archer Lenro Blog

Old 02-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #3714
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...picked up another non-cookbook cooking book: "My Kitchen Year: 136 Recipes That Saved My Life" by Ruth Reichll...
Just past the halfway point in this book, but I couldn't wait to say how absolutely delighted I am by it! I'm savoring every nuance of Ruth's writing as if it were a delicious morsel of food. If you were a subscriber, or even picked up a copy from time to time, I think you would find this book a great read.

Eons ago, when I was a sweet young home cook, I subscribed to Gourmet in hopes that I could become very proficient in the kitchen. Was a bit overwhelmed and let the subscription slide. Things like a new house, new kids, and a corporate move interrupted playing in the kitchen. Then, once we moved and and I got my kitchen settled, I started to play again. By the time I thought I was finally up to resubscribing, Goumet was gone. This book lays out the process that Ruth used to heal from Gourmet Magazine closing on her watch. I fully understand, since I feel that cooking was what got me through the dark parts of trying to adjust to having to move.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:30 AM   #3715
Master Chef

I was enjoying that book so much that I slowed down on my reading the last couple of chapters just to make it last longer. Looking at all of the little Post-It flags sticking up from the "copy this" recipes makes me wonder if it might be cheaper to just buy my own book.

On to my next one tomorrow. It's another non-fiction, "I ain't an athlete, lady-- " by former baseball player John Kruk. Could be interesting...
Old 03-08-2016, 05:10 PM   #3716
Master Chef

What book was it? Did I miss the name and the author?

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 03-08-2016, 07:39 PM   #3717
Master Chef

Charlie, just click on the link she left...https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/..._Athlete_Lady_

I for one, really appreciate those links to books.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:59 PM   #3718
Sous Chef

I had some books come in from the library that I just started: Anybody Can Do Anything and The Plague and I, both by Betty MacDonald, along with The Tracker by Ton Brown, Jr waiting in the wings. I was halfway through Master of the Game by Sidney Sheldon and Reflex by Dick Francis, both of which are on hold right now since I own those two and I wanted to read the library books first.
Old 03-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #3719
Master Chef

Thank you.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:31 PM   #3720
Sous Chef

Aaaaannd.......now I'm reading The Tracker and Horse Tradin' by Ben K. Greene just arrived at the library. And wonders of wonders, I am now 25 out of 26 on the hold list to get The Big Short (book). I may end up reading that in December, the way that line is moving along.