"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-25-2016, 09:06 PM   #3741
Sous Chef

Have you ever read "Bob, Son of Battle"? It's sort of a good book, but the most fun in it is the accents they use throughout the book.

You can definitely tell the two different accents used by the main persons.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #3742
Executive Chef

In a hurry at the library yesterday. Picked up "Princess Elizabeth's Spy" by Susan Macneal. Life is too short to read this novel.

It's supposed to be a thriller set during the second world war. Written by an american (no slur intended). By page 24 I had picked up on four historically incorrect references - simple ones too, that any reasonably intelligent reader would pick up on. It's always a mistake to bring real people into fiction unless you are very good and very careful. She has an openly gay character that even the Prime Minister (yes, Winston Churchill figures on the character list!) knows about - doesn't she know that male homosexuality was a crime subject to imprisonment in Britain in the 1940s? A Spitfire fighter pilot is shot down over Berlin - it was a damn'd good Spit if it could get that far on a tank of fuel! Her heroine goes to live at Windsor Castle as mathematics teacher to Princess Elizabeth (the one who is Queen now) as part of her spying activities. Lord give me strength!!!!

Turgid writing, far-fetched story line and badly written.

Old 04-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #3743
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You would have enjoyed watching Back in Time for Dinner. It was a UK TV show that took a family and had them replicate what people were eating from the 50s to 2000. Every day was a year, so every ten days was a decade. The living room, the dining room, and especially the kitchen was changed over to reflect the decade.

I was flabbergasted to see how little people in the UK had to eat during the 50s, since rationing was still on then. I remember the mother looking at a piece of meat that I think I could have eaten in one meal and she remarked that it was all the meat she had to feed the 5 of them for a week.

That makes me very grateful for what we have today.
Rationing in Britain finished in 1954 with the end of meat rationing. I can remember sweets coming off the ration in 1953. Oddly, bread was never rationed during the war despite much of the wheat for bread coming from Canada, but it was rationed from 1946, when bad weather destroyed the British wheat crop, until 1948.

In actual fact rationing improved the health of British people; infant mortality declined and life expectancy rose (apart from deaths caused by hostilities, of course). This was because rationing ensured that everyone had access to a varied diet with enough vitamins. If you were a fairly competent housewife you could make a little go a long way and people employed in certain types of job and with certain illnesses were allowed some extras. My mother said they never went hungry at home but then, her mother was a farmer's daughter and a very good manager. There was a lot of help in newspapers, magazines, on the radio and through organisations like the Women's Institute. All sorts of people got involved with advice and recipes to make rations go further. I still use my Grandmother's recipe for "Woolton Pie", a sort of vegetable shepherd's pie, named after the Minister of Food but created at the Savoy Hotel in London by its then Maitre Chef de Cuisine and very good it is too.

There was some cheating, of course, including the black market, but in the main people stuck to it and there were some very ingenious ways of dealing with what was available. People were also encouraged to grow their own fruit and veg if they had a garden and local parks were dug over for allotments for growing food.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:15 PM   #3744
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
In a hurry at the library yesterday. Picked up "Princess Elizabeth's Spy" by Susan Macneal. Life is too short to read this novel.

It's supposed to be a thriller set during the second world war. Written by an american (no slur intended). By page 24 I had picked up on four historically incorrect references - simple ones too, that any reasonably intelligent reader would pick up on. It's always a mistake to bring real people into fiction unless you are very good and very careful. She has an openly gay character that even the Prime Minister (yes, Winston Churchill figures on the character list!) knows about - doesn't she know that male homosexuality was a crime subject to imprisonment in Britain in the 1940s? A Spitfire fighter pilot is shot down over Berlin - it was a damn'd good Spit if it could get that far on a tank of fuel! Her heroine goes to live at Windsor Castle as mathematics teacher to Princess Elizabeth (the one who is Queen now) as part of her spying activities. Lord give me strength!!!!

Turgid writing, far-fetched story line and badly written.
Bad research. During our BiCentenial John Jakes (author) wrote a series of books and throughout the seven books which covered our history up to the present date, he had fictional characters interspersed with history. He also had the real people of our history in it. Such as George Washington, Paul Revere, etc. in situations that we as Americans knew to be true and how they affected our history. Excellent research. He had done his research completely. He also had a Bibliography at the back of the each book.

When you are writing fiction and put real people into the plot, you had better have all your facts straight. Because you can bet someone will call you out on them.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #3745
Master Chef

I recently finished Dean Koontz Velocity. It was really good. Mysterious, a little creepy and intriguing. Now I'm reading Strangeville by Kenneth Tingle. Also kinda creepy but also funny. I was laughing out loud reading the first chapter which doesn't normally happen to me reading a book. Can't wait to see how the story plays out!
Old 05-05-2016, 12:47 PM   #3746
Master Chef

Let the Great World Spin: A Novel: Colum McCann: 9780812973990: Amazon.com: Books
Old 05-05-2016, 01:53 PM   #3747
Head Chef

Just finished In a Dark, Dark Wood. Quick read, very predictable. Will probably make a fun movie, but it was straight out of the Gillian Flynn playbook.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 PM   #3748
Master Chef

I started "Two for the Dough" by Janet Evanovich on my kindle, then today we started "Of Mice and Men" by Steinbeck in English class, AND I also have a paperback version of "Dorothy Must Die" by Danielle Paige that I started. It's unusual for me to have 3 books going at the same time but they are all good books so I'm sure I'll be fine reading them at different times.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #3749
Chef Extraordinaire

Lately, I've been more interested in non-fiction than fiction. Right now, I'm reading How Plants Work: The Science Behind the Amazing Things Plants Do (Science for Gardeners) by a professor of horticulture at Washington State University. It's been very interesting so far.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:29 AM   #3750
Master Chef

I gave up on whatever book I had mentioned most recently. It was so boring I can't even remember the name. Anyway, right now I am thoroughly immersed in "My Bread: The revolutionary no-work, no-knead method" by Jim Lahey. I plan on making my maiden loaf of bread his way next this week. (Just noticed it IS already "next week" - after midnight Sunday morning.)