"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-29-2016, 02:42 PM   #3771
Chef Extraordinaire

I recently finished "The Bees," by Laline Paull, a really interesting novel about life in a beehive. It's especially fascinating to me since we started two beehives this year. It describes the life cycle of the bees and how the hive functions, along with the (probably ) fictional description of their religious life and icons. The Queen Mother indeed rules the hive.

And as a graphic designer, I love the cover design, with the hexagonal cut-outs resembling the comb.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1472496168651.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	25268  

Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 AM   #3772
Master Chef

I just got done reading the final Inspector Morse novel by Colin Dexter. The title is THE REMORSEFUL DAY. Wow, what an ending. Lots of twists and turns.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:06 AM   #3773
Master Chef

I picked up a book at the library yesterday (Thursday), then sat up late reading. Tonight I'll be starting "Throw like a Woman" on page 98. Written by Susan Petrone, one of the co-founders of a Cleveland Indians blog called "It's Pronounced Lajaway", I've enjoyed the articles I've read there and on her personal blog. So far, this book has not disappointed. I hope I have the good sense to go to bed earlier tonight, though.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:28 AM   #3774
Master Chef

I'm starting the third book in the series of five to be delivered the end of Sept. for Davenport House.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #3775
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm reading Jo Nesbo's The Bat (don't know how I missed that one). Recently finished reading American Food, the Gastronomic Story by Evan Jones (I found it very interesting). Also just finished Tim O'Brien's In the Lake of the Woods. I have Annie Proulx's Fine Just the Way it is and Louise Erdrich's La Rose waiting on deck. I have been reading a lot this summer.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:14 AM   #3776
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...Tonight I'll be starting "Throw like a Woman" on page 98. Written by Susan Petrone...
Tonight I finished "Throw Like a Woman", and all I have to say is "grrrrrrrr". The ending...wasn't. It's not like it's a "to be continued" kind of ending, but the two, simultaneous story lines she was writing just...ended. Not finished, ended. What happens to that ball she just threw? Did she get the batter out? Does she continue to see the sportscaster in a romantic way, or is it strictly a working relationship? Arggggg!

I guess I'll say I loved the book...until the last two pages.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:07 PM   #3777
Master Chef

Quote:
Tonight I finished "Throw Like a Woman", and all I have to say is "grrrrrrrr". The ending...wasn't. It's not like it's a "to be continued" kind of ending, but the two, simultaneous story lines she was writing just...ended. Not finished, ended. What happens to that ball she just threw? Did she get the batter out? Does she continue to see the sportscaster in a romantic way, or is it strictly a working relationship? Arggggg!

I guess I'll say I loved the book...until the last two pages.
I'd be tempted to write to the author! Ask her if she just got tired of the story or had to meet a deadline. That's like quitting before the job is finished. Maybe she is really writing a sequel?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #3778
Master Chef

Kayelle, I actually think this ending was exactly as the author intended. I like neat little packages of "finished" when I read. Unless it's a true crime sort of book. Those just sometimes aren't finished stories. But I go into those kinds of books knowing how it might end. The entire story leading up to the very last page gives you enough information about the make-up of the lead character, so I probably finished it off in my mind with a satisfactory ending. I'm guessing this was a one-and-done.

I did post a comment on the author's blog. It will be interesting to see if I ever get a reply. She has replied to others' comments, so there is hope.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #3779
Master Chef

Quote:
Kayelle, I actually think this ending was exactly as the author intended. I like neat little packages of "finished" when I read. Unless it's a true crime sort of book. Those just sometimes aren't finished stories. But I go into those kinds of books knowing how it might end. The entire story leading up to the very last page gives you enough information about the make-up of the lead character, so I probably finished it off in my mind with a satisfactory ending. I'm guessing this was a one-and-done.

I did post a comment on the author's blog. It will be interesting to see if I ever get a reply. She has replied to others' comments, so there is hope.
I'd be interested to hear if you get a reply CG. The SC often emails his famous authors directly and gets direct responses from them.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #3780
Master Chef

Just got done reading AUNT DIMITY AND THE BURIED TREASURE, by Nancy Atherton. Always a joy to read her books. She has written twenty Aunt Dimity mysteries, I have read them all.