"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-31-2008, 10:57 AM   #381
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I love mysteries of any sort, and English ones are great. I also love the "Odd" series of novels. The fact is that I love to read, period. I usually have a couple of "serious" reading going on, and a book I'm reading aloud to "my gals" (a blind lady and one who is house-bound because of arthritis). Now I'm in the middle of a biography of Georges Simenon, alsoI The Measure of a Man, and just for fun, a few murder mysteries. By the way, support your local library. Our local has a St Valentine's day card sale. I usually do some kind of bead work and attach it to a card. This is a great fund raiser. I do a couple of hours of volunteer work for the project. It is fun.
If you like English crime fiction/mystery do see if you can get hold of any by Hazel Holt, they are excellent; also Jacqueline Winspear and Richard Pitman. Very good indeed.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #382
Master Chef

Maverick wrote[/QUOTE]Job - A Comedy Of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed that one! It's been over 15 years since I read it but I still remember a lot of the story. Great twist on Heaven,****, God, Satan and Reality!

Old 02-01-2008, 10:37 AM   #383
Senior Cook

I go through books too fast to be caught reading one "now". The one I hope to read next is East of the Sun, West of the Moon by John Ringo. As soon as I find it in paperback (possibly today).

In fact I may make a special trip to the mall...
Old 02-02-2008, 03:43 AM   #384
Master Chef

Finished JOB, onto Long Dark Teatime of the Soul by Douglas Adams.
I have his collectors edition Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series in leather bound hardcover.
Was worth the price for me.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:27 AM   #385
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Which is a funny coincidence, if have ever read JOB you would understand. If not read the description of JOB and I think you will get it.
That's interesting--I just read Esther this morning (well, technically yesterday morning) and am starting the book of Job (in the Bible, not the interesting looking book you showed) tomorrow.

I just read Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers. It is a novel, based on the book of Hosea from the Bible.

I started reading James Michener's Caribbean earlier last year but kind of put it on hold for awhile. I am getting back in to that right now.

Barbara
Old 02-02-2008, 05:15 AM   #386
Senior Cook

Smile What a great idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I love mysteries of any sort, and English ones are great. I also love the "Odd" series of novels. The fact is that I love to read, period. I usually have a couple of "serious" reading going on, and a book I'm reading aloud to "my gals" (a blind lady and one who is house-bound because of arthritis). Now I'm in the middle of a biography of Georges Simenon, alsoI The Measure of a Man, and just for fun, a few murder mysteries. By the way, support your local library. Our local has a St Valentine's day card sale. I usually do some kind of bead work and attach it to a card. This is a great fund raiser. I do a couple of hours of volunteer work for the project. It is fun.
Csalt, I never thought about doing something like reading to older people, I might look into this. How did you get into this?
Old 02-02-2008, 05:27 AM   #387
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
That's interesting--I just read Esther this morning (well, technically yesterday morning) and am starting the book of Job (in the Bible, not the interesting looking book you showed) tomorrow.

I just read Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers. It is a novel, based on the book of Hosea from the Bible.

I started reading James Michener's Caribbean earlier last year but kind of put it on hold for awhile. I am getting back in to that right now.

Barbara
That reminds me, forgot I had this book and haven't even read it yet:
The Lost Gospel: Book Review by Laura Knight-Jadczyk
It looked interesting, I should get to that one next, LOL.
I think I heard of Redeeming Love, I have to check but I think that one might be on my wife's list.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:56 AM   #388
Sous Chef

"Get Saucy" It's a cookbook. Cookbooks are my novels lately.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:58 AM   #389
Everymom

Shadow Music, Julie Garwood. Its been too danged cold to get to the library so I'm relying on the kindness of my neighbors in a book share.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:08 PM   #390
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowgrass View Post
The Golden Compass trilogy--I am just starting the third book.

Also a couple of Michael Pollan's books--The Botany of Desire and another one about gardening, can't remember the name.
I really enjoyed all the books from His Dark Materials. I'd love to see the Golden Compass movie. It looks like its well done.

I'm kinda on book hiatus right now. I need to find something good.