"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2018, 06:38 PM   #3921
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicole View Post
I usually don't read books. Can never finish them
!!!!

Old 06-29-2018, 06:47 PM   #3922
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Last weekend I finished reading "The Lifeboat" by Charlotte Rogan for my book club meeting tonight. It's going to be a great discussion - this book has a lot of interesting themes: class, power, manipulation, survival and more. It's about survivors of a Titanic-like shipwreck and how they endure on an overcrowded lifeboat in the North Atlantic for three weeks. And then some are prosecuted. Excellent book, highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app
Sounds like a touch of plagiarism - There was a Hitchcock film in 1944 from a John Steinbeck story with a suspiciously similar central story.

Old 06-30-2018, 06:53 AM   #3923
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Sounds like a touch of plagiarism - There was a Hitchcock film in 1944 from a John Steinbeck story with a suspiciously similar central story.
Not really. The circumstances may be similar, but the story lines are not even close. It's not unusual for authors to write different takes on historical events. How many World War II movies are out there?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lifeboat_(film)
Old 07-01-2018, 08:21 PM   #3924
Master Chef

I am reading Deborah Crombie "Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James Mysteries". All 17 of them.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:10 AM   #3925
Head Chef

Just picked this up. Can't wait to get into it.

Caribbean Vegan

I'm also working on Rice, Noodle, Fish. So far I'm enjoying quite a bit.

Lastly, I cracked open Florida by Lauren Groff the other night, read about 50 pages and am intrigued.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:18 PM   #3926
Chef Extraordinaire

Pretty much, when I drop a book off at the library I'm also picking one up - one that I decided about online and ordered. No different on Monday, when I said goodbye to my friends at Theo's tea shop (Plum Tea Crazy) and came home with "The Catcher Was a Spy" - and a tag-along book, "The Best Cook in the World" by Rick Bragg.

I had seen TV ads for the upcoming "The Catcher Was a Spy" movie, so I googled to find out about the story line. Like Julia Child and many others of her era, Moe Berg did a little secret agent work for the OSS during WWII. I also saw that the reviews of the movie pretty much condensed down to "read the book, it's better". The movie would be faster, though, since the book is 350 pages of tiny print.

Rick Bragg's column is the first place I go when I get my monthly copy of "Southern Living" (then the recipe section ). His book is going to take a while to read, too. The print is a bit larger, but so is the book format. And it comes in at 481 pages.

If you guys don't see me around much, you'll know why!
Old 07-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #3927
Executive Chef

Here's a fun one for you. I was reading a paperback shirtless in my back yard. Felt asleep. Wake up later, Pure white skin shaped like the book on my tummy, total sunburn in the surrounding area.

Going to try lawn chair reading again this summer. Baseball cap to cover the old bald spot, insulated glass of ice tea and try to stay in the shade. The shade moves.

After a long hiatus, I m returning to Sue Grafton's detective mysteries. I bought an armload of her books at the 1/2 price bookstore. I am starting with O is for Outlaw, and don't remember what the other letter titles are.
Whiskadoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:45 PM   #3928
Executive Chef

This weeks books...

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.. Half way through this interesting story of pre-colonial life in Nigeria..

The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson... A bit of a romance book but, well developed characters and an interesting story..

Tell Tale by Jeffrey Archer.. I've always liked this author and his short stories are always fun to read..

Ross
Old 07-17-2018, 08:32 PM   #3929
Master Chef

Kathy Reichs - "Break No Bones".

I didn't expect it to be like the so-called TV spin-off but neither did I expect it to be slow almost to the point of tediousness. I've tried one of her novels before (so memorable that I've forgotten the title) I did try but tedious wasn't the word and I'm beginning to think there might be better things to do with my time with this one. However, I will persevere.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:20 AM   #3930
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
... home with "The Catcher Was a Spy" - and a tag-along book, "The Best Cook in the World" by Rick Bragg....
Well, "The Catcher Was a Spy" might have been good to the end, but I got only half way. The author had a way of repeating and saying things over and reminding you what he had just written by saying it over... It Drove Me Nuts! (Yes, a short ride, I know. ) Because I was taking so long with that book, the Rick Bragg book was returned without reading much of it at all. After a quick glance, however, I think I just might be satisfied enough reading his monthly column in Southern Living.

Meanwhile, I've blown through two quick, fun reads. It's a bit out of season, but I read the most recent Meg Langslow cozy mystery, "How the Finch Stole Christmas". Great, as always! I also pedaled my way (via the recumbent bike in the basement) through "The Dirty Book Club", a fun read not of dirty books, but of friendship between four women thrown together by another foursome of friends from an older generation. Touching and funny.