"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #4041
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for the recommendation of "Where the Crawdads Sing". Good to see you again BD.

Ross, speaking of "A Gentleman in Moscow" I just came to the mention in the book of Latvian Stew and I had to know more.

Mr. Google found me this, and I plan on making the recipe.

https://www.bookclubcookbook.com/gen...r-amor-towles/
That was such a detailed and beautifully written book, I may have to read it again sometime. Maybe next winter when a nice pork stew would hit the spot. This sounds really good - thanks for sharing

Old 06-25-2019, 08:31 PM   #4042
Chef Extraordinaire

Books? I've read "a few" since my last post. I read Patterson's "17th Suspect". I'm all caught up with the Women's Murder Club books except for #18 - waiting until I get to the top of the list on the library's waiting list. Getting closer: I'm #24 with 50 copies circulating. I hope Patterson and co-author Maxine Paetro are busy writing #19.

I also read "We Are Market Basket: The Story Of The Unlikely Grassroots Movement That Saved A Beloved Business". Some of you might remember back to 2014, when non-union employees of a local grocery store chain went on strike to have their favorite CEO put back in charge of the company after being ousted by the board and his own cousin - the majority owner at 50 1/2%. The book explains a lot of the family dynamics and history of the company that brought it to this standoff. Very interesting read.

A sweet little memoir was "Waving Back: Traveling the Roads of Life". In essays, the author looks back on his life events and takes you along for his ride. I wish I could have met Tom Locke.

Another non-fiction, "AMISH GRACE: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy" reveals and examines how the Amish community of Nickel Mines, PA dealt with the aftermath of a 2006 mass shooting of Amish girls in the community schoolhouse. There is a lot of information about the Amish way of forgiveness and how they deal with those who cause harm to the community.

I've also read the first two books in the new "Noodle Shop" cozy mystery series, "Death By Dumpling" and "Dim Sum of All Fears". The fact that they are set in the Greater Cleveland area is a nice bonus!

I read the first couple books of Daryl Wood Gerber's Cookbook Nook Mysteries a while ago. Now that the first five are available in large print, I decided that they would be my current recumbent bike companions. I'm about halfway through book 1, "Final Sentence". The second book, "Inherit the Word" is in my on-deck basket for when I finish book 1.

Lastly, I started to read "Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat: Mastering the Elements of Good Cooking" by Samin Nosrat. I knew who she was before Himself called me into the living room to see her interview on a local PBS show. I thought she was delightful. Sadly, I just couldn't see her book the same way. I read about 50 pages and gave up. I didn't even look at the recipes before it was due at the library. Shame, shame...

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you. ~ BB King
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 12:45 AM   #4043
Chef Extraordinaire

For those of you waiting on a long list for a library copy of "Where the Crawdads Sing"...
just buy it. You won't be sorry. It was worth every dollar, and less than the cost of restaurant lunch. Can you tell I loved it?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:53 AM   #4044
Senior Cook

Where the Crawdads Sing

Kayelle - I absolutely loved this book. It's my top pick for this year. I also enjoyed "The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek" by Kim Michele Richardson.

Its been quite awhile since I posted anything, but I do read the posts from everyone. Always enjoy hearing about a new book. I'm reading "The Truffle Underground" by Ryan Jacobs now, and its really interesting. From the front cover
- A Tale of Mystery, Mayhem, and Manipulation in the Shadowy Market of the World's Most Expensive Fungus.
BakersDozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:37 AM   #4045
Cook

I’m currently reading
On Pluto: Inside the Mind of Alzheimer's – Greg O'Brien

I’m about a third of the way through. It has good reviews but I’m not enjoying it as much as I would like so I might drop it. It’s a slow read because I only get to read it for a half hour each day when I’m on the treadmill or elliptical machine as part of my warmup workout.

Next in my queue is:
The Great Successor: The Divinely Perfect Destiny of Brilliant Comrade Kim Jong Un by Anna Fifield

Although I don’t do a lot of book reading, I do lots of other kinds of reading that are shorter such as news (NY Times, Boston Globe, Washington Post I subscribe to) and a few forums.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #4046
Head Chef

I'm reading Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

If anyone knows anything about Morgan horses, you might be interested to know that Almanzo's mother's (Angelina Day Wilder) great-grandfather's (Ezekial Day) sister (Thankful Day) was the mother of Justin Morgan, the school master who owned Figure, the start of Morgan horses here in America, and her great-grandfather's brother (Luke Day) was the father of Justin Morgan's wife.

Apparently the Wilder family had been involved in Morgan horses almost a hundred years by the time of Farmer Boy and probably knew the original Figure and also took along some of his colts and fillies when they moved to Malone, New York, where Almanzo grew up.

Interesting tidbit of American history.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote