"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #4071
Chef Extraordinaire

I really enjoy Joanne Fluke's books, Ross. If you like that one, go back to the first book in the series and read them all in order. She does a great job of character development over the years.

I hope you think D-Day Girls is a good read. Like any book about war, it gets a bit graphic.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 12:10 PM   #4072
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I really enjoy Joanne Fluke's books, Ross. If you like that one, go back to the first book in the series and read them all in order. She does a great job of character development over the years.

I hope you think D-Day Girls is a good read. Like any book about war, it gets a bit graphic.
Thank you, CG.. I like series.. At times I get frustrated because my library might have 1 or 2 of a series and I have to scramble reading them in order.. My most enjoyable authors do a good job of making series books stand alone too..

I enjoy war stories which feature people who contributed to the war effort and how people coped with and survived what they went through..

Ross

Old 09-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #4073
Chef Extraordinaire

I hear you (read you?) about the library missing books from a series, Ross. I'm currently reading through the Cookbook Nook series by Daryl Wood Gerber. The library was missing the 6th book in the series - I found that out after I read #5. I ended up ordering a used copy online, then donated it to the library after I had read it. I think the desk clerk took it home to read first, though. It hasn't showed up on the library website as being available yet.

My upstairs (regular print) book is from the aforementioned Cookbook Nook series - #7, "Wreath Between the Lines". If the baseball game doesn't go too long (10PM start time), I should be able to finish it tonight. And then the basement large-print book: Save Me the Plums: My Gourmet Memoir by Ruth Reichl. After reading her book "My Kitchen Year", I decided that I liked her writing style enough that I wanted to read more of her books.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote