"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-10-2008, 04:30 AM   #411
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara View Post
Caine Mutiny - one of my all time favorite books, the one I read was written by Herman Wouk.
Barbara, me too! I've reread this more than 10 times over the years. I still see some new nuance in certain characters or situation each time, depending on my emotional state and what personal issue I'm faced with at the time.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:37 AM   #412
Head Chef

Just finished Grisham's Playing for Pizza and Hosseini's The Kite Runner.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:46 PM   #413
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstix View Post
Just finished Grisham's Playing for Pizza and Hosseini's The Kite Runner.
Chopstix, how'd you like Playing for Pizza? I've been thinking about reading it.

This afternoon I finished Beverly Cleary's juvenile piece, Henry Huggins. I'm sending it to our 7-year-old grandson for his Valentine's Day birthday. He lives in Georgia, which means we don't see him very often. I wanted to read the book so we could talk about it as he reads it.

Actually, it's a very cute book. It's the first one in a series and great fun to read. Even by a "big person." I highly recommend it to parents who have young children who love to read. Even for children who aren't fond of reading because the story is quite captivating and might spark an interest in a reluctant reader.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #414
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
12 Second Sequence by Jorge Cruise. It's about combining the right amount of good carbs and protein to stay fit. He also tells you that "You Are WHEN You Eat". He mentions that many people wait hours until they're so hungry to eat then they end up eating excessively. He provides a program to eat a combination of protein, whole grains, vegetables and fruits every 3 hours. I love this book.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #415
Senior Cook

I've just finished reading the whole of the Harry Potter Series and am going to start on Pride and Prejudice. I absolutely loved the movie but I am more of a book person.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #416
Master Chef

I tried to get behind the Harry Potter stuff, just couldn't get into it at all. The kids didn't like at all either. But like me they loved LOR.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #417
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Chopstix, how'd you like Playing for Pizza? I've been thinking about reading it.
Hi Katie, the book is light reading as how Grisham's last few novels have been. It's definitely not The Firm, nor A Painted House. But you'll like it if you are into any of the book's three key elements: Italy's Parma area, regional Italian food (think Parma ham and parmeggiano), and American football.

I hear his latest book, The Appeal, is excellent and marks his return to the legal suspense/drama genre that he became famous for.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:07 AM   #418
Master Chef

My daughter swears by "Atonement"---says it's one of the best written books that she's read recently. A friend on a recent trip back to K. was without books and I loaned her Atonement and I could see her not putting it down once. When she gave it back to me last week she agreed that it was a great book and better than the movie. Now it's in the hands of another friend who so far is engrossed. As for myself I'm already reading two other books so I don't have time for it. But when I do I'll let you know---but I've heard from many people and their assessment is that it is better than the movie.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #419
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I am reading Cell, by Stephen King. It is a hard one to put down! I find myself looking at people on cell phones a little differently now! *shudder!!*

Barbara
Old 02-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #420
Head Chef

This is one of the best books I've read in a long time. I heard about it from my bf, he said people in his office were talking about it and how funny it was. This particular book by Bill Bryson is called "A Walk in the Woods" and tells about his actual trip hiking the Appalachian Trail, and his un-natural fear of bears and while on the trail meets a bizarre assortment of hilarious characters.

Also, has anybody checked out the new Kindle from Amazon. I got one for a present for Christmas and love it. You simply set up your payment method on amazon and click one button to purchase then transfer it over to the kindle and you have all your books stored on this electronic reader. It also allows you to shop on Amazon, play music, and store books onto a memory card and receive daily newspapers. Just wondering what you think of it?