"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2008, 12:06 AM   #501
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Those are some of my favorite books. So funny.
The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul was another good one, and Job which I read previously for about the tenth time, LOL.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:53 AM   #502
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul was another good one
I was never able to get into that one. I must have started it at least 20 or more times, but was never able to get more than a couple of chapters in.

My favorite is still Restaurant At The End Of The Universe. I love the part where he describes the biggest problem of time travel is knowing which tense to use.

Quote:
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is one of the most extraordinary ventures in the entire history of catering. It has been built on the fragmented remains of... it will be built on the fragmented... that is to say it will have been built by this time, and indeed has been—

One of the major problems encountered in time travel is not that of accidentally becoming your own father or mother. There is no problem involved in becoming your own father or mother that a broad minded and well-adjusted family can't cope with. There is no problem about changing the course of history—the course of history does not change because it all fits together like a jigsaw. All the important changes have happened before the things they were supposed to change and it all sorts itself out in the end.

The major problem is quite simply one of grammar, and the main work to consult in this matter is Dr. Dan Streetmentioner's Time Traveler's Handbook of 1001 Tense Formations. It will tell you, for instance, how to describe something that was about to happen to you in the past before you avoided it by time jumping forward two days in order to avoid it. The event will be described differently according to whether you are talking about it from the standpoint of your own natural time, from a time in the further future, or a time in the further past and is further complicated by the possibility of conducting conversations while you are actually traveling from one time to another with the intention of becoming your own mother or father.

Most leaders get as far as the Future Semiconditionally Modified Subinverted Plagal Past Subjunctive Intentional before giving up; and in fact in later editions of the book all the pages beyond this point have been left blank to save on printing costs.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy skips lightly over this tangle of academic abstraction, pausing only to note that the term "Future Perfect" has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be.

To resume:

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe is one of the most extraordinary ventures in the entire history of Catering.

It is built on the fragmented remains of an eventually ruined planet which is (wioll haven be) enclosed in a vast time bubble and projected forward in time to the precise moment of the End of the Universe.

This is, many would say, impossible.

In it, guests take (willan on take) their places at table and eat (willan on eat) sumptuous meals while watching (willing watchen) the whole of creation explode around them.

This, many would say, is equally impossible.

You can arrive (mayan arrivan on when) for any sitting you like without prior (late fore when) reservation because you can book retrospectively, as it were when you return to your own time (you can have on-book haventa forewhen presooning returningwenta retrohome).

This is, many would now insist, absolutely impossible.

At the Restaurant you can meet and dine with (mayan meetan con with dinan on when) a fascinating cross-section of the entire population of space and time.

This, it can be explained patiently, is also impossible.

You can visit it as many times as you like (mayan on-visit re onvisiling... and so on—for further tense correction consult Dr. Streetmentioner's book) and be sure of never meeting yourself, because of the embarrassment this usually causes.

This, even if the rest were true, which it isn't, is patently impossible, say the doubters.

All you have to do is deposit one penny in a savings account in your own era, and when you arrive at the End of Time the operation of compound interest means that the fabulous cost of your meal has been paid for.

This, many claim, is not merely impossible but clearly insane, which is why the advertising executives of the star system of Bastablon came up with this slogan: "If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round it off with breakfast at Milliways, the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?"

Old 06-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #503
Chef Extraordinaire

The Murder Book, patrica cornwell

babe
Old 06-11-2008, 01:35 PM   #504
Master Chef

Got more books from the Library today. Probably will start tonight with an autobiography :My First Five Husbands by Rue McClanahan
Old 06-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #505
Master Chef

Just finished "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman and am currently on "Snow Crash" my Neal Stephenson.

GB and Mav would like Good Omens since they like Hitchhiker's Guide. We listened to Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency on a recent car trip and that was good too.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:44 PM   #506
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post

babe
Is that a new one of hers ? I have read all her books but haven't seen The Murder Book. I went to her website , it seems a book called The Front is the latest. Also I did not see The Murder Book listed at all .
Old 06-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #507
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post

GB and Mav would like Good Omens since they like Hitchhiker's Guide.
I will have to check that out. Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #508
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

babe
boy is my face red. it is called the book of the dead. i was to lazy to go look. so often i have no clue to title of what i am reading.

a friend has a book business on ebay and gives me books to read and return.

i read about five a month, so is hard to keep them straight. sorry

babe
Old 06-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #509
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I will have to check that out. Thanks for the recommendation.
Ditto. I know Dirk Gentlys Holistic Detective Agency but it has been so long I would have to re-read it to remember what happens in it.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:34 PM   #510
Master Chef

Quote:
boy is my face red. it is called the book of the dead. i was to lazy to go look. so often i have no clue to title of what i am reading.

a friend has a book business on ebay and gives me books to read and return.

i read about five a month, so is hard to keep them straight. sorry

babe
It's okay, not a problem. I thought I missed a book of hers. Nice friend to lent you books to read. My friend is the library.