"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2008, 07:50 PM   #511
Chef Extraordinaire

yes it saves me lots of time and money. i used to go to library as well before she started this business. she gathers them from many sources and sells them. mostly hard backs.babe

Old 06-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #512
Master Chef

As The World Churns , a Pennsylvania Dutch mystery with recipes by Tamar Myers.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #513
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I got way behind with my food and wine magazines this spring because I was concentrating on reading for my thesis. Now, I am reading the back issues of Food Arts, Sante, Tasting Room, Specialty Foods and the other trades I receive evey month!
Old 06-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #514
Head Chef

I don't have the money to buy new books right now, so I just read my Harry Potter books over and over. LOL

no complaints, I love them! I have seen the movies probably about 30 times each..
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #515
Master Chef

DW got me America Alone by Mark Steyn and Bobby Flay's Grill It! for Fathers Day, so technically I started with Bobby Flay's book in prep for grilling season. I am way behind as the patio has still not been cleared off so I can use the grill. Been kinda delayed for health reasons but looking forward to getting it going this week!
I will probably start the other one in a day or two, I am saving it in case I get sent back into the hospital again so I have something to read!
Old 06-18-2008, 02:31 AM   #516
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
While I normally read books written for adults, I do like to read books written for young adults now and then. I fell in love with Margaret Peterson Haddix's writing when I read her first novel, Running Out of Time, to my class. Later I read Among the Hidden (1st in the "Shadow Children" series) to my class and the second in the series, Among the Imposters, myself. I have been wanting to see how the series progressed, so I bought all seven of them a couple weeks ago. I just reread Running Out of Time and the first two of the series and am now on the third, Among the Betrayed. I would recommend them to anyone. She does not write down to children. They are a quick read but hold an adult's attention. The premise behind the "Shadow Children" series is that there has been a huge worldwide famine, and the government (no country is ever named--it is sometime in the near future, and the government is totalitarian) has passed a law that no family may have more than two children. Shadow children are illegal third (or even fourth, etc.) children who have to hide from the government, but shortly after the first story begins, some of them, who secretly communicate by computer, start planning to change the laws.

Sheesh! I didn't mean to write a book about it, but I just wanted to say that if you like mild suspense (she tackles heavy subjects, but in a way that is still appropriate for young teens) without bad language, these books might be just the ticket for you.

Barbara
Over the last few days I have finished the 4th in this series, Among the Barons, the 5th, Among the Brave, and the 6th, Among the Enemy. I will finish the last book in the series, Among the Free, tomorrow. I have thoroughly enjoyed these books!

Barbara
Old 06-19-2008, 12:08 AM   #517
Contest Winner

I am about to read the insides of my eyes, But first I must contact my Beautiful Wife.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 AM   #518
Master Chef

I am such a prolific reader that I have an intimate relationship with my library. Like babetoo, I read so much that I usually cannot remember titles and authors. I also read aloud to a blind friend and one whose RA is so severe that holding up a book and turning the pages is difficult. I'm reading The Story of English to them, but also bring up a book of things like famous quotes or proverbs or some such, and now a French/English crossword puzzle book. For myself I'm reading The Witch of Portobello. I'm not overly impressed with it so far.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #519
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Southern Cookin'
I'm almost finished with Heiress by Janet Dailey. Typically predictable pap and I can't wait to get done. I don't know what I was thinking when I checked it out, but I started it and will finish hopefully today. Before that I read Rhett Butler's People and DID NOT want it to be over! Highly recommend it to anyone who loved "Gone With the Wind"
Old 06-23-2008, 09:39 AM   #520
Sous Chef

I'm reading "Culinary Bootcamp" about someone's experience at the 5 day training sessions offered by CIA.