"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-25-2008, 07:35 PM   #551
Master Chef

yep, me, too, MK! read a few tho' always surprised that they were on her "hit list" of recommendeds........she's great at launching other people's careers......we should be so lucky.....at least she has some people reading...........:)

Old 07-25-2008, 10:11 PM   #552
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl
plus Oprah did have some hurdles in her life
Yes, and I think she is particularly attracted to books where the protaganist is faced with various obstacles...but sometimes, it all just ends badly. No triumph over adversity, just more adversity. No thank you.

Old 07-26-2008, 12:02 AM   #553
Master Chef

Agree totally, MK! That's why i've been enjoying Slummy Mummy, just a fun read....more along the lines of Bridget Jones' Diary.......even one of my Canadian friends who has no kids and no intentions of ever having any really enjoyed it......the book probably made her glad she had no kids..........hahaha
Old 07-26-2008, 03:38 AM   #554
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
Agatha Christie omnibus of Miss Marple stories.
Hey, Miniman,

If you like Agatha Christie you might want to search for her book "Come Along With Me" which chronicles her sojourns with her archaeologist husband , Sir Mallowan, in the Middle East...........so entertaining and a light read......I have enjoyed it so much that I've read it several times over the years......apparently people had been pestering (for lack of a better word) her to write about travels with her 2nd husband (he was 10 years younger than she) so this was it.....wonderful book.....don't know if it's still in print but you can always go to alibris.......I actually found it better than any of her other books but I like autos :)
Old 07-26-2008, 03:59 AM   #555
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
"Night and low light Photography" by, Lee Frost.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:58 AM   #556
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Just finished The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. Fascinating peek at the year 1950 in LA. Pretty dark, but beautifully written. Just started An Innocent Man by John Grisham. A friend came over this morning, saw it, and commented that it is very depressing. Hmmmm. May switch to something else.
Please don't stop reading this fascinating book. It isn't as depressing as your friend thinks it is. I didn't find it the least bit depressing I just marveled at the incredible screw-up in our legal system that would cause these men to spend years in prison. This is a true story and a good one. John Grisham makes this one very easy to read and keeps you interested til the surprise ending. Don't miss it.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:14 AM   #557
Master Chef

Just finished Shoot the Moon and intend on finding more of her books. I usually have a history/biography going as well and now it is Victoria's Daughters. I also have at least one in my read-aloud group, and it is The Story Of English, a book of proverbs, and a French crossword puzzle.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #558
Master Chef

I, too, often avoid Oprah books. Overall, I am pleased that she's gotten a few women who would normally be watching Soaps and Lifetime Movies all day READING. But, while I read almost anything, I do find that her recommended books ARE like lifetime movies. Lots of misery, rape, horror of all kinds.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #559
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I, too, often avoid Oprah books. Overall, I am pleased that she's gotten a few women who would normally be watching Soaps and Lifetime Movies all day READING. But, while I read almost anything, I do find that her recommended books ARE like lifetime movies. Lots of misery, rape, horror of all kinds.
I agree. Almost every book Oprah recommends is sad, depressing, violent or horrific. They are good stories but come on, somebody has to write a book that is uplifting that she would like. Her recommendations of House of Sand and Fog (depressing and very sad ending) and Pillars of the Earth, (extreme cruelty, violence, etc.) are books that she claims are the best she's ever read. Couldn't get past the first 100 pages of Pillars and wonder if anyone else read this book and found the cruelty more than you wanted to read about.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:40 AM   #560
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen
Please don't stop reading this fascinating book.
No, I won't give up on it. It's too difficult to find books in English here to waste one! I have taken a detour into Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep and am nibbling at Elmore Leonard as well. I usually read 2-3 books at a time, and I will definitely go back to it. Thanks for the encouragement.