"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #571
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
How many of you refuse to give up on books?
I've gotten books from the Library that I thought would interest me and ended up not being able to continue reading it. At least the books are free so no money is wasted .

Old 07-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #572
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara
Read Ellroy's "My Dark Places" it's his true life story.
Thanks, Barbara - I will look for it. I have been doing a little reading about him online, and it seems he has had a difficult life - reflected in his books. His character development in The Big Nowhere is really phenomenal. I look forward to learning more.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:10 PM   #573
Head Chef

I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I am reading the new book by Madonna's brother "Life with My Sister Madonna" - it is my guilty pleasure reading for the summer, I guess. It is utterly delicious.
Old 07-29-2008, 02:36 AM   #574
Master Chef

the most horrible book that I ever read was Lorna Doone...........it was assigned when I was a 7th grader..........the write(forget his name---probably on purpose)the would take 3 pages to describe a tree.......I'm partially ADD I think and it was difficult to glut through it.........then Miss Seal would call every one up and ask them question.........God must not have liked this book either because the 3 times she called up to discuss it there was some major interference.....fire drill, last minute assembly in the auditorium, and I forget the 3rd one.........I really felt guilty cause after 300 pages (there's about a thousand pages........well it seemed like it) I gave up....ok the guy's father is killed...he meets the daughter (who really isn't) they fall in love and the relatives come after him.........does this plot really deserve a thousand pages????.......the librarian who had become a friend couldn't believe that I had to read that...........yep, other kids got assigned Lord of the Flies, Jane Eyre, etc., Wuthering Heights but no I get a coffee table.........
Old 07-29-2008, 05:36 AM   #575
Master Chef

You know, I seldome re-read a book, there are just too many books out there I want to read. But my read-aloud group (a blind friend and one who is shut-in because of severe arthritis) was joking around about books we loved as children. When I mentioned The Secret Garden, my friends had never read it! At the time both were going through some tough physical problems, and this book seemed to help them. Revisiting this childhood favorite got both of them going through the most dreary months of winter (we had a particularly bad winter!). I did tell my friend that our next book has to be a little lighter!!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 AM   #576
Master Chef

my 4th grade teacher, Mrs Matocha, would read to us after lunch, and the book that remember the most was The Secret Garden....she'd read us a chapter and we'd have to wait until the next day...........she also used a lot of expressions and inflexions........she was one of my best teachers ever......tough but good
Old 07-29-2008, 06:26 AM   #577
Executive Chef

I love The Secret Garden and recently watched the movie on TV. It is such a wonderful story (the book is miles better than the movie). I can't really settle to read at the moment - I was in the library the other day and nothing gripped me. I also find the books I have, I can't reread at the moment.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #578
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Southern Cookin'
I just finished TRIBUTE by Nora Roberts. It's very good --- the identity of the "bad guy" took me completely by surprise. Started YOUNG WIVES by Olivia Goldsmith yesterday. So far so good.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:00 AM   #579
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Southern Cookin'
When my daughter was small I read The Secret Garden to her by doing a chapter each night at bedtime. Your post brought back such a beautiful memory. We read a few others this way, but The Secret Garden and Caddie Woodlawn are the two that stand out in my memory.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #580
Senior Cook

I have read "Where the Red Fern Grows" twice. An example of an old friend. I look forward to reading it to another grandchild.