"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-12-2008, 01:05 AM   #591
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I'm almost done with Here We Go Again - My Life in Television by Betty White. It's been a wonderful read. Lots and lots of amazing information about early television and many of the people I grew up watching. I'm going to be sorry when I finish it.
Thanks, Katie, I happen to love Betty White and she is so with it at her age.....I sometimes catch her on Ellen when I'm home as they are both animal lovers.........thanks for the recommendation as I like to read biographies and autob.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #592
Master Chef

I just finished "Victoria's Daughters" which gave me a lot of insight to the start of WWI. I'm still reading "The Story of English" to my freinds, and am reading one of the Jane Austin copies that seem to be going around. I liked the last book by the Afghani writer much more than "Kite Runner" --Kite was just too sad and too unhappy an ending. A good book, but it left me depressed for days.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:08 PM   #593
Master Chef

I'm reading a culinary mystery called Cherry Cheesecake Murder by Joanne Fluke.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:22 AM   #594
Senior Cook

I'm reading the last stand by stephen king :)
Old 08-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #595
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Southern Cookin'
I just finished Black Creek Crossing by John Saul. Creepy! But good!
Old 08-14-2008, 04:56 PM   #596
Master Chef

Reading Blueberry Muffin Murder by Joanne Fluke. I like her recipes that she includes in the book for blueberry goodies.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:16 PM   #597
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
I'm almost done with Here We Go Again - My Life in Television by Betty White. It's been a wonderful read. Lots and lots of amazing information about early television and many of the people I grew up watching. I'm going to be sorry when I finish it.

that sounds like an excellent read!!! if you've read my signature, you can see i LOVE golden girls. if she mentions that show, i wanna read her book.
Old 08-15-2008, 12:39 AM   #598
Senior Cook

I just finished "The Forbidden" by Beverly Lewis, and now reading, "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady" by Florence King. So far, so good! The "Forbidden" was really good...its the second book in the Amish series, "The Courtship of Nellie Fisher".
Old 08-15-2008, 01:46 AM   #599
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakersDozen View Post
I just finished "The Forbidden" by Beverly Lewis, and now reading, "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady" by Florence King. So far, so good! The "Forbidden" was really good...its the second book in the Amish series, "The Courtship of Nellie Fisher".
I love Beverly Lewis! I read her other Amish series The Heritage of Lancaster County. That was good. I grew up near an Amish community so it was easy to imagine their lifestyle. I'll have to look into her other books. Right now I'm on a Faye Kellerman run. I just finished False Prophet and have started Grievious Sins. My reading will be curtailed in another week when classes start up again. Then it will be reading textbooks again! Oh! Speaking of textbooks, I read Language in Hand:why sign came before speech. It was a really interesting book about the theory that language grew out of gestures first before humans developed control of their voices. If you are interested in language and anthropology you'd enjoy this book. It was fairly easy to read.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:56 AM   #600
Master Chef

Reading Shelley Winter's autobiography.