"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-01-2008, 03:16 AM   #621
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Over the last couple days I have bought several books at little shops and yard sales ($1.00 for some paperbacks, 50 cents for most of them, and $1.00 and 50 cents for some hard cover books), including a few by Stephen King and John Saul, and one or two by Dean Koontz, Robin Cook, and a few others. So, what am I reading now? Another kid's book! When I was a kid, one of my favorite books was "A Room For Cathy," by Catherine Wooley, so when I found a sequel to it yesterday, "Cathy Leonard Calling," I just had to get it! The writing is not that great, and the story-line is fairly preposterous, but I find myself back in my childhood when I read it!

Barbara

Old 09-01-2008, 04:42 AM   #622
Master Chef

Yeah, I know how you feel, Barbara.........I have some favorites, too, and when I reread them ........oh, well, you know.........

Just finished reading Colin Martin's "Welcome to H-ll--One Man's Fight for Life Inside the Bangkok Hilton".........it's an international bestseller (paperback) and was difficult to read at times.......he was accused of a crime that he didn't commit (according to him) and spent 8 years of squalor and brutality fighting a corrupt prison system. He finally was released thru an amnesty program. He lost everything (wife, children, home, business, and half a million to a swindler).....and yet he hung on despite his gut feelings at times to end it all...........

Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 AM   #623
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
I agree with the comments about Stephen King - I enjoy his books, but like Barbara, couldn't get into the Dark Tower series. My daughter has told me over and over that I should read them. I loved Lisey's Story, one of his latest in paperback. I'm currently reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. Wonderful book.
I've heard some good comments about Lisey's Story. Is it worth reading? Loved Water for Elephants.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:36 AM   #624
Senior Cook

Cujo sounds good.. I have heard about that one before. Might order it :D
Old 09-01-2008, 11:52 AM   #625
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Reading now?

This topic . . . . . . .

Old 09-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #626
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynd View Post
Cujo sounds good.. I have heard about that one before. Might order it :D
It's an oldie but goodie, one of King's better suspense stories. The ending is different in the movie and I will tell you about it after you read the book. I'm sure your library will have it.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #627
Master Chef

I just read two very interesting books this week; The 19th Wife and The Lace Reader. Both were very unusual novels. I have to tell you I got the most enormous laugh out of the fact that the Catholic Church turned The Da Vinci Code into a much more money-maker than if they'd have ignored it. Remembering living in Utah as a teen, I can't help but wonder if the LDS church will turn The 19th Wife into a best-seller rather than just ignore it?
Old 09-02-2008, 06:42 AM   #628
Master Chef

I very seldom re-read books .... there are just too many out there I've never read and want to.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #629
Head Chef

Thumbs up

I'm just now stumbling across this thread. Agree with recent comments about Cujo and The Stand. Years ago was an avid King reader but the idea of a haunted car turned me off so stopped when Christine came out. I'm sure I've missed a lot of great reads.

I'm now reading The Book of Virtues by William Bennet. It's an anthology of great short reads, mostly for children but includes Shakespere and Thomas Jefferson as well as Aesop and Hans Christian Anderson. I highly recomend it to parents, grandparents and anyone who wants to remember their favorite childhood stories and discover the classics they might have missed.

Just finished Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson. Glad I read it but, except for an interesting but simple explanation of relativity and a suprisingly simple-minded conception of God, it wasn't worth the effort.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #630
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker View Post
I'm just now stumbling across this thread. Agree with recent comments about Cujo and The Stand. Years ago was an avid King reader but the idea of a haunted car turned me off so stopped when Christine came out. I'm sure I've missed a lot of great reads.

I'm now reading The Book of Virtues by William Bennet. It's an anthology of great short reads, mostly for children but includes Shakespere and Thomas Jefferson as well as Aesop and Hans Christian Anderson. I highly recomend it to parents, grandparents and anyone who wants to remember their favorite childhood stories and discover the classics they might have missed.

Just finished Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson. Glad I read it but, except for an interesting but simple explanation of relativity and a suprisingly simple-minded conception of God, it wasn't worth the effort.
Christine was probably one of King's best books too. I loved it. The intensity was "edge of your seat" stuff. Of course it's fantasy, with few exceptions all of King's works are fantasy but this one is good. I read this one about 10 years ago. At the begining of each chapter, King quotes the first few lines of songs that were popular in the 60's since the car is a '63 Plymouth. While I was reading the words to "Run Around Sue" the song came on the radio at the same time. Absolutely freaked me out. I'll never forget it.

The movie is very good, catch it on Netflix or Blockbuster if you can.