Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I started a couple books awhile back, but I put them aside and forgot them. I am now reading them in earnest, along with another. I am reading The Apocalypse Code, by Hank Hanegraaff, Living Organized, by Sandra Felton, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis. I've had the last one for a few years but had never read it. A couple years ago we bought our oldest grandson a book with the entire Narnia collection in it. Now I wish I had bought one for myself as well!

:)Barbara

I started a couple books awhile back, but I put them aside and forgot them. I am now reading them in earnest, along with another. I am reading The Apocalypse Code, by Hank Hanegraaff, Living Organized, by Sandra Felton, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, by C.S. Lewis. I've had the last one for a few years but had never read it. A couple years ago we bought our oldest grandson a book with the entire Narnia collection in it. Now I wish I had bought one for myself as well!

:)Barbara

I envy you, for never having read the Narnia series. I wonder what my adult brain would imagine on a brand new reading of the series. I've worn out at least 4-5 editions of the series over the years.:)

The book I'm now reading is what I consider to be brain candy. Hey, don't we all need that sometime? The book I'm reading aloud to my ladies is 'tis by Frank McCourt. I've read all three of his books and one of his brother's, so ... well, great books. The lady I'm reading it too tends to forget it isn't fiction (she has this thing about asking me to read Irish authors, and doesn't realize this is not fiction). She keeps telling me, "oh, that's an exaggeration" Huh? When I read another book to her which was about Irish life and immigration to the US, she didn't have a problem with it. It was fiction (I'd have to look it up to remember what novel it was); but for some reason she can't stand fact. This is a little crazy, because this woman almost always wants to have me read nothing but history and biography. But for some reason Frank McCourt's memoirs of his first years in the U.S. are bugging her. She's quite a liberal, and very pro-Irish, but for some reason this is bothering her. "That couldn't have happened, not really, Claire, what do you think." Duh, We're reading about his experiences. She wants me to switch to Maya Angelou, and all I can say is that if shedoesn't like Frank's life, she sure as hck won't like Maya's (yeah, I've read her autobiography).

I can understand her difficulty with Frank McCourt's books. I had a hard reading them and remembering what years they were written about. So much of the lifestyle he grew up in was behind the times with regards to technology. It seemed to be happening more in the 19th century than the 20th!

I just finished C.S. Lewis Space Trilogy and have Dan Brown's Lost Symbol on deck to start tonight.

i would urge you all to read. "the kennedy detail" it is an insight into history. much, much more than we knew at the time. an interesting visit into the private lives of very famous people.

"Gone, Baby, Gone" by Dennis Lehane, in the library. "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," by Douglas Adams, on my Kindle.

I never even knew what a library was until I was in the sixth grade (went to public school too!) To this day I feel the lack. So a couple of times a year I read a children's book. Just now I am reading "Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie". It's a story about pioneer life. ( You cannot imagine what a wonderous feeling it was to walk into a library the first time and finding that I could check out as many of those wonderous things as my little heart desired. I think I got about 30 the first time. No exaggeration.)

Last edited:
Copy cat. :LOL:

I just grabbed the complete set today on the Kindle and started them.

Exactly, you made me do it...made some room on my wish list.:rolleyes: I distracted Shrek with a new Clive Cussler, nabbed the set, a nurses drug book and a medical terminoloy text...he never knew what hit him (or his debit card). :ROFLMAO:

I never even knew what a library was until I was in the sixth grade (went to public school too!) To this day I feel the lack. So a couple of times a year I read a children's book. Just now I am reading "Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie". It's a story about pioneer life. ( You cannot imagine what a wonderous feeling it was to walk into a library the first time and finding that I could check out as many of those wonderous things as my little heart desired. I think I got about 30 the first time. No exaggeration.)

I, too, read children's or young adults' books on occasion. My old ladies love to revisit books from their childhoods as well. One I'm thinking of looking up is A Wrinkle in Time. It was the first Sci-Fi book I ever read, and I have no idea how old I was when I read it. No girl, and maybe many guys, can ever forget The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables.

I, too, read children's or young adults' books on occasion. My old ladies love to revisit books from their childhoods as well. One I'm thinking of looking up is A Wrinkle in Time. It was the first Sci-Fi book I ever read, and I have no idea how old I was when I read it. No girl, and maybe many guys, can ever forget The Secret Garden and Anne of Green Gables.

I could point and say, "It's over there, on the third shelf..." but, this might be more helpful. It's still in print. A Wrinkle in Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had a few books in mind for my ladies this year, but then yesterday she mentioned something about the final scene in King Arthur's tales. She has a sort of fixation on King Arthur (also Joan d'Arc), so when I see something new on those two subjects I pick it up (I live at the library, ha-ha, and Amazon is my second best friend). Anyway, caregiver brought me Morte d'Arthur. I skimmed it and said No, this isn't what she wants. She has a copy of Once and Future King around here somewhere (finding books in her house can be a nightmare; she's of the persuasion that you never give a book away). Luckily caregiver found it immediately, I found the scene she wanted and read it. Then Caregiver asked if I'd read it next. She's often told me that she's learned more from my reading aloud to the ladies than she ever learned in school. OK, we can do that. Long books are quite an undertaking to read aloud, but we can give it a go. Sure beats the inspirational//religious tomes that the caregivers hint towards (not, NOT, to my ladies' or my own taste). We'll see how it goes. For myself I'm struggling to finish Parrot and Olivier in America. Not really to my taste, don't know why I'm finishing it. Booker prize winners are often not to my taste.

I had a few books in mind for my ladies this year, but then yesterday she mentioned something about the final scene in King Arthur's tales. She has a sort of fixation on King Arthur (also Joan d'Arc), so when I see something new on those two subjects I pick it up (I live at the library, ha-ha, and Amazon is my second best friend). Anyway, caregiver brought me Morte d'Arthur. I skimmed it and said No, this isn't what she wants. She has a copy of Once and Future King around here somewhere (finding books in her house can be a nightmare; she's of the persuasion that you never give a book away). Luckily caregiver found it immediately, I found the scene she wanted and read it. Then Caregiver asked if I'd read it next. She's often told me that she's learned more from my reading aloud to the ladies than she ever learned in school. OK, we can do that. Long books are quite an undertaking to read aloud, but we can give it a go. Sure beats the inspirational//religious tomes that the caregivers hint towards (not, NOT, to my ladies' or my own taste). We'll see how it goes. For myself I'm struggling to finish Parrot and Olivier in America. Not really to my taste, don't know why I'm finishing it. Booker prize winners are often not to my taste.

I think I need The Once and Future King on my Kindle...I am an Arthur Freak, too! She may like the Arthur books By Jack Whyte, if she would like new stories and just a bit closer to actual history. I loved them.:)

I love this thread! When I need new books to read, I come here and see what everyone here is reading and can make a list of ones I want to read! I'm on a Stephen King run right now. DS gave me The Stand which I have started and am enjoying and have Insomnia next. I avoided his books because of Carrie (a bit too creepy) but so far The Stand is intriguing.

I love this thread! When I need new books to read, I come here and see what everyone here is reading and can make a list of ones I want to read! I'm on a Stephen King run right now. DS gave me The Stand which I have started and am enjoying and have Insomnia next. I avoided his books because of Carrie (a bit too creepy) but so far The Stand is intriguing.

The Stand, the best Stephen King in my opinion. Enjoy!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom