"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-02-2008, 11:54 PM   #631
Cook

hello fellow readers

i read a lot of stephen king stuff when i was younger. thought he was the best then and remember many of the stories as being gripping and scary. i have not been on much of a horror kick lately though. just wanted to ask if any of you have read books by the author christopher moore? i found the book lamb to be one of my favorite reads ever. it is not for those who can't make light of their own belifes but is a great book at heart. the rest of his stuff is still fun and in the same style but having passed lamb along to people from 80yrs of age to 20yrs i have yet to find someone who did not find themselves touched by it. thanks for any replies and am always looking for new reads.

Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #632
Master Chef

I'm not deep..........so I read whatever I want to..........pretty much a mish mash though I really don't care for sc-fi or fantasy......my DH takes up that end of it........he's never given up his books so we have millions and I'm willing to part with some of mine.......the landlady gave us 3 shelves of bookcases to add to only add to his collections.......I actually resent her.........it only enables him......

Old 09-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #633
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I'm not deep..........so I read whatever I want to..........pretty much a mish mash though I really don't care for sc-fi or fantasy......my DH takes up that end of it........he's never given up his books so we have millions and I'm willing to part with some of mine.......the landlady gave us 3 shelves of bookcases to add to only add to his collections.......I actually resent her.........it only enables him......

Since I'm a firm believer that books are meant to be read not stored, I pass on all of my books or donate them to the local library if they're purchased by me. I never read a book twice and have stopped buying them since my library carries or can order any book I want. You might want to talk your husband into donating his books. Hospitals and libraries would love to have them.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #634
Cook

I like to re-read some stuff, but I also share a lot of my books.

I read W.Michael & Kathleen Gear, Terry Goodkind, Pauline Gedge regularly. I will read pretty much anything you put in front of me, but those are the authors I read consistently. I also like Sarah Waters and Jean M. Auel. By far one of the most influencial books I have read and re-read, and given away and re-bought about 5 times is Anthony De Mello's Awareness. This book opened my eyes up to a whole new world.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:25 PM   #635
Master Chef

Well, when you hit Alzheimers.......any book is always a new experience.....jest kidding...nope.......I 've tried to talk him out of his collections.......I guess some of them are collector items by now........he drives me crazy........if I had kept every book that I ever owned we'd be looking at millions.........instead of his thousands.........and then you add debate daughter to it and then you're really looking at millions.........the stuff she reads...........
Old 09-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #636
Head Chef

Got two going: the old Leon Uris book, The Haj, and The Mergers and Acquisitions Handbook. The latter is a bit dry.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #637
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DramaQueen View Post
Christine was probably one of King's best books too. I loved it. The intensity was "edge of your seat" stuff. Of course it's fantasy, with few exceptions all of King's works are fantasy but this one is good. I read this one about 10 years ago. At the begining of each chapter, King quotes the first few lines of songs that were popular in the 60's since the car is a '63 Plymouth. While I was reading the words to "Run Around Sue" the song came on the radio at the same time. Absolutely freaked me out. I'll never forget it.

The movie is very good, catch it on Netflix or Blockbuster if you can.
I watched some of the Carrie movie a few nights ago actually, it was really really great. I'm sad I didn't record it but I was too tired!
Old 09-07-2008, 12:06 PM   #638
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Right now I'm reading Darkness, by John Saul.

Barbara
Old 09-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #639
Master Chef

I've been reading old Reader's Digest Condensed books. The books came from deceased brother in law's house.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #640
Master Chef

LC, some of them are really quite good.....just depends on who the editor is and how much they abridged the book.........was turned on to several authors because of RD condensed books........I'd forgotten about them....thanks for reminding me...actually except for a few coffee table books those are the only books that you will find in my sister-in-law's house and I know that she's never read them.......how can you only own 10 books in your whole lifetime????? The biggest brag that she and her brother made was that at the 4 years of being at Texas A&M neither one of them had checked a book out of the library.........oh, my goodness, that's something to brag about...........don't get me wrong......they are smart but dumb at the same time..... I love them to death, however ..... but when we go their houses I always make sure that I have a stack of books to keep me company..........unless I want to read a boating magazine (nothing wrong with that---no plot, however) I'm on my own......