"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-16-2008, 10:43 PM   #671
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
No need to apologize, epg - we are all friends here. I like nonfiction occasionally (just read Kitchen Confidential by Bourdain) and I especially like Doris Kearns Goodwin's biographies. I'm looking for her LBJ book, but hard to find here in English. My job required lots of challenging reading (statutes, regulations, legislative bills) and I got in the habit of reading for relaxation. Right now, I'm coasting with "J is for Judgment" by Sue Grafton. Fun read.
thanks for reminding me about that series. have read a lot of them . will see whats new.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:00 AM   #672
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Does anyone read nonfiction here? Just wondering......not an accusation.......I like nonfiction, too......
Not as much as I mean to - I like reading "lifestyle coaching" type books like "Who moved my cheese" and "The 4 hour work week". I also found "Rich Dad Poor Dad" and "Screw it let's do it" by Richard Branson very valuable reading.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:20 AM   #673
Assistant Cook

Struggling through another book

I'm usually not reading anything, but for the time being I'm working my way through The Kite Runner; although it was probably big about a year ago.
Old 09-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #674
Master Chef

GOgo, don't struggle through it ... it is too sad. If you want a taste of the culture, find his next book, which is at least hopeful.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:59 PM   #675
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Does anyone read nonfiction here? Just wondering......not an accusation.......I like nonfiction, too......
Yeah. That seems to be the majority of what I'm sent these days. I have an Emily Post biography, a Tiny Kline biography, the biography of the guys who own Time Bandit (the Alaskan fishing vessel of deadliest catch fame), Richard Bang's travelogue, a semi-autobiographical Vietnam account, a biography of a family that was shipwrecked on a circumnavigation... I have a couple of other books in the pipeline I should be receiving soon, and I believe one of them is another non-fiction.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #676
Senior Cook

I'm halfway through Odd Thomas - did not know it was a series, took me a while to get into it, but now I am - different when I'm listening to it instead of reading, takes me longer to get into books - I downloaded it on my ipod as you may recall.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #677
Master Chef

I read Spook by Mary Roach about 2 years ago. It's an interesting non fiction about the intersection of science and the afterlife. She relates some stories from history and how scientists today are studying psychic and ghostly phenomenon. She's got a good sense of humor so while there are actual studies and stuff she add her own hilarious comments to alot of stuff. Excellent writer. I'd like to read her book Stiff about cadavers but right now, I have about 15 books in the stack so it will have to wait.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #678
Master Chef

Do I read nonfiction? Heck, yes, I read everything. The last nonfiction I read was "Victoria's Daughters" which got me on a real pre-WWI kick, the events that lead up to that war.
Old 09-18-2008, 08:26 AM   #679
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
I'll read just about anything also. :-) I'm currently reading "Strapless" and "Four Letters of Love". Normally I only read one book at a time, but somehow one got misplaced when I was about 1/2 way through so I started another, now I'm just working through them both.

My middle daughter Monica, gave me a book last night that she just finished, said I HAVE to read it because it's SO good. "Meet Samantha, An American Girl - Book One". It's a 55 page book and at the end there are a few pages of what life was like in 1904, she really enjoyed it and it will be a quick read. I love reading my kids books including my own. :-)
Old 09-18-2008, 08:03 PM   #680
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Do I read nonfiction? Heck, yes, I read everything. The last nonfiction I read was "Victoria's Daughters" which got me on a real pre-WWI kick, the events that lead up to that war.
I've read Victoria's Daughters, too...........they all had rather sad lives didn't they..........