Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just finished David Baldacci's Absolute Power and started The Deeds of the Disturber an Amelia Peabody mystery by Elizabeth Peters. I've been considering a Kindle. I'm waiting for it to come down some in price to the $100 range. When they came out with the $114 I was about to jump on it until I realized it had ads on it. Figure I get hit with enough of those on TV, newspapers, junk mail and magazines. Don't want it with my books!

As I understand it you don't get ads while reading. Only between books, but since I don't have the "sponsored" Kindle I can't verify that. Mine is first generation.

I do think Amazon should throw ya a bone and toss in some book purchases with the thing.

As I understand it you don't get ads while reading. Only between books, but since I don't have the "sponsored" Kindle I can't verify that. Mine is first generation.

I do think Amazon should throw ya a bone and toss in some book purchases with the thing

That was another turn-off for me, and the fact that the books cost about the same as a DTB. I feel that's a ripoff.

That's how I understood it, too, Frank. I figured it would be like the non-obtrusive ads I have on a lot of my Droid's free apps. Still, if I purchased a Kindle, I think I'd spend the extra 20 bucks or whatever it is to not see them. Just for the fact that I will be using the Kindle a lot more. I want to turn it on and see book, not ads.
I bought one for my sister and she loves it. I've almost pulled the trigger on one for myself a few times. I used to read a lot, recently read an online book, and I think the Kindle would be nice on those nights I can't find anything to watch on 300 channels :wacko:
I like that it will read in low light, cuz as a lot of us know, the older we get, the lower the lighting gets :( I don't understand the book pricing though. A lot of books there's not much savings at all, and that just doesn't seem right.

That's how I understood it, too, Frank. I figured it would be like the non-obtrusive ads I have on a lot of my Droid's free apps. Still, if I purchased a Kindle, I think I'd spend the extra 20 bucks or whatever it is to not see them. Just for the fact that I will be using the Kindle a lot more. I want to turn it on and see book, not ads.
I bought one for my sister and she loves it. I've almost pulled the trigger on one for myself a few times. I used to read a lot, recently read an online book, and I think the Kindle would be nice on those nights I can't find anything to watch on 300 channels :wacko:
I like that it will read in low light, cuz as a lot of us know, the older we get, the lower the lighting gets :( I don't understand the book pricing though. A lot of books there's not much savings at all, and that just doesn't seem right.

Really depends on the books you are buying. I was able to save half on my nursing books and most of my reference books (dictionaries, etc.) were $1. Novels, especially new ones, some are half hardcover price, but only a dollar or two off the paperback price.

I especially like the convenience of finding a recommended title and being able to get it, ASAP, before I forget the title.:ROFLMAO:

Having a book instantly available is certainly a perk.

Books vs Kindle...my argument, using Taber's Medical Cyclopedia.

If I pick up Taber's I can find what I am looking for faster with a DTB than the Kindle, that's where the convenience ends. The Taber's is heavier than the Kindle; if I lose the page, I have to find it again, actually minor inconveniences. However, with the Kindle, it instantly bookmarks the last page I am reading, it's small enough I can hold it for longer periods, I don't have to hold it open to read it. AND, the best part...I have the rest of my nursing and reference books in my hand if I need them and some lighter reading for my lunch break.

I know, I sound like a Kindle commercial...I still buy DTB's...why? Because I love the feel and smell of a book.

I just received an email from Amazon... no doubt because they track what I am looking at, lol. 114 for the ad Kindle and 189 for the non-ad... I thought it was a lot closer in price. That's a pretty big difference. I think I'll hold out for a while longer.

I just received an email from Amazon... no doubt because they track what I am looking at, lol. 114 for the ad Kindle and 189 for the non-ad... I thought it was a lot closer in price. That's a pretty big difference. I think I'll hold out for a while longer.
The 189 is for the 3G model. There is a wifi model that is 139.

The 189 is for the 3G model. There is a wifi model that is 139.

Really. I didn't see that one in the email. I was right then... there's a model close in price to the 114 Kindle.
There were three in the email, 114, 189 and 239 (I think) for an international one. The wifi Kindle is the one I was looking at getting.

Thanks for pointing that out, GB. Maybe I'll order that one tonight.

If you like to read then you will not be sorry. The Kindle is the greatest thing to happen to books since people switched over from using scrolls.

I'm reading the Ace of Cakes book. No, it isn't a recipe book, nor just a photo album of all their cakes. It is a terrific insight into the bakery, the people (in their own words and each represented by a cake they made), some clients and the show itself. Being in the industry myself, I am finding it a terrific read, though it is basically directed to the home cake decorator and Ace of Cakes fan!

I specially love the part where Duff negates the "rumour" that he is the guy who blows up cake by stating that this would be ludicrous because then you couldn't eat it! He merely adds pyrotechnics to the cakes in a safe and food safe manner! In other words, he gets to light up his cake and eat it too! :mrgreen:

As a retiree, I have lots more time (and grateful for it) than you young'uns out there. Don't have a Kindle yet, maybe in the future. But limited income, yada, yada. One thing a Kindle can't give me is time in the stacks -- cruising over to the library and pulling out volumes. In the interests of economy, I try to bunch up my trips and so fill up the gas tank, stop at the grocery (I keep a cooler on my back seat down here), then to the library, so I can spend some quality time looking. When I get home, I feel absolutely rich. The bag o' books has a lot to do with the feeling. ;)

One more thing: I'm hooked on Netflix because I can access and choose from their online library of titles. Perhaps Kindle scratches that itch for readers.

Lucky Liz

I just finished two Eric Van Lustbader novels, First Daughter and Last Snow. I am now digging into Tom Clancey's latest novel Dead of Alive, a 950 pager that could take most of the summer.

Back
Top Bottom