Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is no last page, as long as we keep posting new pages will continue to appear! Are you set up to be subscribed to threads and get e-mail updates when you post to a thread?

well, that's good news, thanx. and yes, i don't know how it came about, but i do receive e mails informing me of new postings. i look forward to them too....

Then for this thread, anytime someone posts a new one...it will let you know, even if we end up ignoring it for a couple of weeks.

I understand how you feel, I get new author ideas from what others are reading all the time. And it was Frank and GB who finally convinced me to buy a Kindle.:innocent:

i picked up a couple of books from oprah's book club, hadn't done that one before, for some/no reason. elizabeth berg's open house, and james frey's a million little pieces. love oprah to death, but so far i'm not big on her book selections. :( james frey's book, about drug rehab, could have used some good, radical editing, and i just didn't see where it was so inspirational as it was touted back when it caused such a sensation. elizabeth berg, has a rather nice, free flowing style of writing that i liked - just didn't find the subject or the story of the open house to be of much interest, personally. i might try another of berg's books, but not one by frey.

Last edited:
Now I'm reading "As Always, Julia," edited by Joan Reardon. It's the collection of letters exchanged between Julia Child and Avis DeVoto over submission and publication of "Mastering the Art of French Cooking."

The Glass Castle - could not put it down. Autobiography.

Now reading: Dream Golf: The Making of Bandon Dunes, my hubby goes there a couple of times a year and we have met this guy. Interesting read.

Buried Prey - John Sandford - Lucas Davenport character. Loves these books. Twin cities area.

i'm way too obsessed with the ongoing casey anthony trial, and need a really good, riveting book to separate my from this addiction. anybody got one?

You might be interested in the Body Farm series - just yesterday I caught a clip on TV news of one of the Anthony trial experts who's associated with the Body Farm in TN. He testified as to forensics in the case.

The books are basically mysteries. Listed as written by Jefferson Bass, they are co-written by two men, Jon Jefferson, and Dr. Bill Bass, who founded the UT Anthropology Research Facility -- The Body Farm --that scientifically studies decomposition of corpses. Maybe won't keep you on the edge of your seat, but they're very well written and authoritative on the subject.

Liz

You might be interested in the Body Farm series - just yesterday I caught a clip on TV news of one of the Anthony trial experts who's associated with the Body Farm in TN. He testified as to forensics in the case.

The books are basically mysteries. Listed as written by Jefferson Bass, they are co-written by two men, Jon Jefferson, and Dr. Bill Bass, who founded the UT Anthropology Research Facility -- The Body Farm --that scientifically studies decomposition of corpses. Maybe won't keep you on the edge of your seat, but they're very well written and authoritative on the subject.

Liz

patricia cornwell and i traveled the 1990s together, sharing some nine books and following dr. scarpetta around. don't know why i stopped reading her, but i see she's doing just fine without me....thanks for this Jefferson Bass tip - it's a gem! what good news--some half dozen of the body farm ebooks are a bargain at $7.99 !! all i need to do now, is decide which one to download first. of course you realize this will do nothing but feed into my already raging anthony trial obsessions....thanks :)

patricia cornwell and i traveled the 1990s together, sharing some nine books and following dr. scarpetta around. don't know why i stopped reading her, but i see she's doing just fine without me....thanks for this Jefferson Bass tip - it's a gem! what good news--some half dozen of the body farm ebooks are a bargain at $7.99 !! all i need to do now, is decide which one to download first. of course you realize this will do nothing but feed into my already raging anthony trial obsessions....thanks :)

If you liked Patricia Cornwell, you will LOVE Jefferson Bass. None of what they have written has ever butted heads with what I learned in Anatomy and Physiology class.

i'm way too obsessed with the ongoing casey anthony trial, and need a really good, riveting book to separate my from this addiction. anybody got one?

i too am watching it on and off. certainly doesn't have the quality announcers of the old court t.v.what channel are you watching? mine is on a cable channel. i miss the court tv channel.

I am reading "I Have Lived A Thousand Years" written by a woman that survived auschwitz and forced labor in a german factory, in germany. tough to read, but i have been doing research on this topic.

i don't have cable, but i am watching it online cnn.com/live (9:00a.m.-5:00p.m.)

That's good to find out. Think I'll tune in later this morning. Way back when, I was glued to the set watching the OJ trial spin out - recorded a good bit of it, but for some reason haven't really wished to revisit that unhappy bit of history. These cases are stranger than fiction, aren't they?

One of the Body Farm novels was Bones of Betrayal, which led to my doing Google time on the secret doings there in East TN when they were rushing to develop the atomic bomb. Ver-r-r-y interesting.

i'm happily, busily making a reading list for myself from the authors and books you guys are recommending. here's a news flash for ebook readers: amazon has an offering of some 600 book titles from 99c--$2.99 for "summer readers". here's some authors that caught my eye: pat conroy, andre dubus, william styron, alan d. foster, ian fleming, jack higgins, robert b. parker, kurt vonnegut, to name just a few...good stuff, huh?

Back
Top Bottom