"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-06-2009, 06:47 PM   #741
Master Chef

I'm just curious.....what makes you pick up a certain book? Is it the author or the subject matter? For me........it's history.........I also like travelogues.......I love to read about where people have been and their impressions, experiences,..........maybe I live vicariously thru them.............one of my favorites is written by Agatha Christi.........she writes about her adventure with her husband on his digs in the Middle East..........he was a famous archaeologist, Sir Mallowan............she's so interesting.............he commented ( though she was ten years younger than he) that the reason he was attracted to her in the first place was the fact that she could sleep in the middle of the midday in massive heat........he was also know to describe her dresses in the language of archaologists "that's a very becoming logenze design my dear"..........the infamous quote was that he loved her, speaking off the cuff was that the older she got the more he appreciated her being an archaelogogist..........

Old 04-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #742
Master Chef

sorry, I need to correct a fact........she was ten years older than him........go Aggie.........

Old 04-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #743
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I'm just curious.....what makes you pick up a certain book? Is it the author or the subject matter? For me........it's history.........I also like travelogues.......I love to read about where people have been and their impressions, experiences,..........maybe I live vicariously thru them.............one of my favorites is written by Agatha Christi.........she writes about her adventure with her husband on his digs in the Middle East..........he was a famous archaeologist, Sir Mallowan............she's so interesting.............he commented ( though she was ten years younger than he) that the reason he was attracted to her in the first place was the fact that she could sleep in the middle of the midday in massive heat........he was also know to describe her dresses in the language of archaologists "that's a very becoming logenze design my dear"..........the infamous quote was that he loved her, speaking off the cuff was that the older she got the more he appreciated her being an archaelogogist..........
author, the subject matter and history. i read 10 little indians (and then there were none) and murder on the orient express. i just read Devil Bones (Temperance Brennan Series #11) by Kathy Reichs (the show Bones is based on her books).
Old 04-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #744
Master Chef

[quote=msmofet;810383]author, the subject matter and history. i read 10 little indians (and then there were none) and murder on the orient express. i just read Devil Bones (Temperance Brennan Series #11) by Kathy Reichs (the show Bones is based on her books).[/quote Thanks for the info......I didn't know that........
Old 04-06-2009, 09:47 PM   #745
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
author, the subject matter and history. i read 10 little indians (and then there were none) and murder on the orient express. i just read Devil Bones (Temperance Brennan Series #11) by Kathy Reichs (the show Bones is based on her books).
Thanks for the info......I didn't know that........
you're welcome.

i also like true crime, horror (stephen king is my fav), gothic romance and some sci-fi.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #746
Sous Chef

i read 10 little indians (and then there were none) and murder on the orient express.

Agatha Christie is one of my favourites. I read almost all of her books. 'And Then There Were None' is my especial favourite. I gifted this book to my DH when I was dating with him.
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #747
Chief Eating Officer

Before I left for my trip to Israel, I got a Kindle 2 from amazon. I love this reader and have been going a lot more reading lately because of it. Right now I am reading The Good Guy by Dean Koontz. The concept is interesting and it is an alright book so far, but I am looking for it to pick up a bit more.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:27 PM   #748
Head Chef

I am currently reading "Downtown" by Anne Rivers Siddons

***GB, I was looking into a Kindle 2, would you give it a good recommendation?

Fettuccine Alfredo is Macaroni & Cheese for Adults.
Luvs2Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #749
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Cook View Post

***GB, I was looking into a Kindle 2, would you give it a good recommendation?
I would give it the best recommendation possible. I love everything about it. There is not a single thing I do like with this thing. I am reading so much more because of it and there is no shortage of good material.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:07 AM   #750
Master Chef

Do Dear John Bathroom Readers count? My son owns about 15 and they are all located in my bathroom as he commandeers it while I'm gone....and I do have to admit they have some interesting tidbits..........quick, just like the flourish of a foot of toilet paper, and with a quick flush you're on your way, etc............haven't had time to read anything else except inflight magazines.........can't wait to get to the bookstore on Monday............have a nice weekend y'all :):):)