"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-11-2009, 05:21 AM   #781
Master Chef

I just read a couple of Proulx books. enjoyed them, but found them a bit disjointed feeling. I don't remember her first book giving me that feeling. For reading to my ladies, I'm reading I'm a Stranger Here Myself by Bill Bryson. I even have Pat giggling, although I know it hurts her (severe arthritis). I'm fond of Bryson because he was recommended to me by an Australian gentleman I met on a bus in Slovenia. How strange is that?

Old 07-11-2009, 05:25 AM   #782
Master Chef

Oh, phintz, I cull through my books every year and donate them to our library. They have a big book sale that gets bigger and bigger and bigger every year. I "rarely" buy fiction because I read 3-5 books a week, so mostly I check them out at the library. Right now I have 3 boxes of books to haul over there.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:48 AM   #783
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I just began reading the first book in The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. So far I'm hooked. The author is "painting pictures" in my head.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #784
Sous Chef

'Sobuj Deser Raja' by Sunil Gongopadhyay
radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #785
Cook

I always have two or three floating around, too.
[U]Power, Faith, and Fantasy: [U]America in the Middle East 1776 to Present[U by Michael Oren
Epicenter by Joel Rosenberg
Passionate Vegetarian by Crescent Dragonwagon
Cooking at home Jacques and Julia

Those, and my daily Bible reading.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #786
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I'm fond of Bryson because he was recommended to me by an Australian gentleman I met on a bus in Slovenia. How strange is that?
I have all his books. His "In A Sunburned Country" was hysterical. I loved his description of driving around in Canberra. I listened to the book on audio tape (read by the author) and I was in *tears* at that point.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #787
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Several months ago I started to read "Wicked." At about the same time the book hit kind of a dead zone and my life hit a bad zone, and I stopped reading. I finally got back to it and just finished it.

I enjoyed "Wicked" for the most part, especially the last several chapters. It is most definitely not a book for kids (they wouldn't be interested in it anyway, and it has some pretty racy scenes).

If you have never seen the movie "The Wizard of Oz," some of "Wicked" might be confusing. Personally, I would recommend that you 1) See the movie "The Wizard of Oz" (or read the book), 2) See the show "Wicked," and then 3) read the book "Wicked," in that order. The book and the show are only about 20% related, from what I saw. I absolutely loved the show. I loved the book too, but in a much different way. The show is light and fun, with a hint of darkness. The book is dark with a little dark humor. Wicked operates on the assumption that you have seen or read "The Wizard of Oz," making many references to events there, which is why I recommend you see/read that first.

The interesting thing is "Wicked" shows the events regarding Dorothy, the scarecrow, the Tin Woodsman, and the Lion in a much different light, but it will not spoil "The Wizard of Oz" for you. It will make you see it differently in some ways though.

Barbara
Old 07-15-2009, 01:22 AM   #788
Sous Chef

Barb - You are now making me want to read the book. I like looking at things from a different angle.

Let me offer you something in return. Next time you are at the library, check out the books by H. Turtledove. He writes about alternative history results. He has caused me to consider a lot of different points of view.

Bob
Old 07-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #789
Chief Eating Officer

Barbara, I tried reading Wicked a number of years ago. The idea of the book fascinated me, however I found it so boring at the beginning that I just could not get past the first chapter. Did you find the start tough to get through or did you enjoy it from the start? I would love to give it another shot if the beginning is not what the entire book is like.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:01 PM   #790
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Barbara, I tried reading Wicked a number of years ago. The idea of the book fascinated me, however I found it so boring at the beginning that I just could not get past the first chapter. Did you find the start tough to get through or did you enjoy it from the start? I would love to give it another shot if the beginning is not what the entire book is like.
I had a very difficult time getting into it, and as I said, it lagged again in the middle. I'm glad I did stick with it though, as it turned out to be very good. Go see the show too!

Barbara
P.S. Thanks Bob, I will have to look into those books.