"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 PM   #821
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
does he use 'f' word in his books too? Surprised anyone really gives him the time due to his loose use of this word. I just truly dismiss him when he does say the word as I can so relate to the pressure he is under. Will you let me know what you think after you have finished? Thanks
In this particular book he doesn't use the word much at all. The book was a really good insight into his childhood and how he became so sucessful and in some respects it makes you see him in a different light. It also shows you how competative it is in the restaurant world.

Well worth a read.

I'm not sure if it's against the rules or not but I have the pdf version if you want me to email it to you? PM me if you would like that

Old 08-14-2009, 05:16 AM   #822
Assistant Cook

Presently I am reading Twelve night by William Shakespear .

Old 08-14-2009, 03:10 PM   #823
Assistant Cook

harry potter...again

ender's game... again

:)

I need some new ones lol
Old 08-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #824
Assistant Cook

Obviously, we are all reading this thread right now.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #825
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyjonny_uk View Post
In this particular book he doesn't use the word much at all. The book was a really good insight into his childhood and how he became so sucessful and in some respects it makes you see him in a different light. It also shows you how competative it is in the restaurant world.

Well worth a read.

I'm not sure if it's against the rules or not but I have the pdf version if you want me to email it to you? PM me if you would like that
I sure would! See if you can do it? If not, we have to understand. So glad you don't just get upset about Ramsay. I sure can tell he WANTS them to succeed. They will HAVE lot worse when he isn't around, I am sure.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #826
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen View Post
I sure would! See if you can do it? If not, we have to understand. So glad you don't just get upset about Ramsay. I sure can tell he WANTS them to succeed. They will HAVE lot worse when he isn't around, I am sure.
No problem Please PM me your email and I can fire it over now.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:46 PM   #827
Head Chef

Currently reading Alexander McCall Smith's Morality for Beautiful Girls, a mystery novel set in Botswana. Also slogging through The Golden Compass; it's OK as far as plot, but a bit pedantic and overly referential, if you know what I mean.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:46 PM   #828
Certified Cake Maniac

A book on making fondant animals. Can we say "obsessed"?

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:49 PM   #829
Master Chef

Love all of the Alexander McCall Smith novels I've read! I love stuff like that; light but insights to another culture. The last book I finished was titled something like "The Making of ..." (cannot remember the man's name, that tells you how much I liked it, who the heck knows why I finished it!)(oh, I do, ran out of books). Too much "getting old Jewish angst" in it for me. This time around (meaning my trips to the library) I chose only light reading. I mean, sometimes I purposefully try to challenge my little gray cells, but at times I wonder: Is the author trying to communicate (the purpose of writing, I think) or just trying to seem intelligent. In other words, the fewer people who read the book, the better, because the author can claim us readers are way too stupid to appreciate their writing.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #830
Master Chef

You know, I'm always looking for good books to read to my ladies. They are both very intelligent, and for reasons (one is legally blind, her companion is so arthritic she cannot hold a book up for very long. The blind lady always was a reader, the arthritic not so much) cannot read. M (the blind lady) likes to read books that come up in the news, and that her favorite radio personality mentions. She has friends who are authors, and I read anything they write.

But in between I choose books where each chapter can, actually, stand alone. Travel books (both ladies are well traveled), anything by Peter Mayle or Bill Bryson are high on my list. The last thing that was long that I read to them was Galway Bay. But I had to renew it three times, and her care-giver had checked it out before that for two weeks. Finally I gave up and told her, "Do you want me to finish it and tell you how it ends?" Absolutely.

I've read all but one of Cahill's books to her (the guy who writes sociological books about different cultures) and trust me, getting my tongue around Greek and Celtic names just about drove me crazy.

Anyone have suggestions for books for very intelligent ladies, but aren't ridiculously L-O-N-G or obscure? Oh, they both have interests in anything French. I cannot speak it ... Hmmm ... know what? Sometimes I think of something I write and get an idea. Maybe they'd like a Maigret mystery? The thing is there are some I like and some I don't (they're out there with two different translations, one I like, the other not so much.

OK, I've digressed, as is my wont. But if any of you read this and come up with something you can imagine being read aloud, chime in.