Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love Elmore Leonard and Hiassen. We loved the TV series (that didn't last long, I guess you have to have a certain sense of humor) as well. Lately my library seems to have gotten on a kick of Scandinavian murder mysteries, so just finished The Snowman by Jo Nesbo (sorry, don't know how to get that last o correctly). Right now I'm reading one of those cupcake mysteries. This time of year I want reading, light!

yes, we love these guys--leonard, vonnegut, hiaasen and douglas adams (hitchhiker's guide to the universe) - all with a quirky side we share - they make us laugh, they make us think, they remind us who we are....:)

simonbaker said:
I am still looking for the book "Michael Vey" written by Richard Paul Evans.

Try Amazon.com, $9.88. The Kindle price is the same. Sounds interesting!

Last edited:
vitauta said:
yes, we love these guys--leonard, vonnegut, hiaasen and douglas adams (hitchhiker's guide to the universe) - all with a quirky side we share - they make us laugh, they make us think, they remind us who we are....:)

Love the quirky.

I think Douglas Adams would be a fine choice for that "who would you like to have dinner with, living or dead" question.

I think Douglas Adams would be a fine choice for that "who would you like to have dinner with, living or dead" question.

what a bountiful banquet of fertile, celestial minds we would have gathered round our humble, hungry table! tinlizzie, you would be one of my honored earthly guests, with five invitations of your own, to distribute as you see fit...:):question:

what a bountiful banquet of fertile, celestial minds we would have gathered round our humble, hungry table! tinlizzie, you would be one of my honored earthly guests, with five invitations of your own, to distribute as you see fit...:):question:

If I slept on these I'd no doubt change them out for five more, but here goes:
Teddy Roosevelt, for stories of his travels and his general enthusiasm for life
Michael Palin, ditto, plus gossipy Python stories
Ben Franklin - I just watched the miniseries on his life (what a guy); seems like he would be approachable
Werner Herzog, just a fascinating personality with a unique outlook (I recently saw his documentary of monks creating a sand mandala)
Dame Judi Dench - to represent the feminine view (with such a long career in film, she must have many stories to tell, if she would - Sean Connery, etc.......)
:ohmy: - five already. Does this mean I can't have Douglas Adams?

Ben Franklin - I just watched the miniseries on his life (what a guy); seems like he would be approachable
Werner Herzog, just a fascinating personality with a unique outlook (I recently saw his documentary of monks creating a sand mandala)
Dame Judi Dench - to represent the feminine view (with such a long career in film, she must have many stories to tell, if she would - Sean Connery, etc.......)

very interesting selections, with some surprising ones. dame judi dench? really? what, oprah wasn't available? jk, jk! (oprah--bless her) yes, tinlizzie, doug can still come....:)

very interesting selections, with some surprising ones. dame judi dench? really? what, oprah wasn't available? jk, jk! (oprah--bless her) yes, tinlizzie, doug can still come....:)

As I hinted, I was not above using Dame Judi to get to Sean Connery... And your five?

Just finished Murder in Little Egypt, the True Story of a Filicide, by Darcy O'Brien. An amazing book and one of the characters, Marilyn Leonard, sold her house here in our area to my younger brother. She signed the book I read and wrote a short note to him.

It's a true-crime account of a family murders in the southern Illinois area known as Little Egypt. It's central character is Dr. John Dale Cavaness, a native son who practiced medicine in the Little Egypt area of southern Illinois. For a time one of the most beloved men in the area, Cavaness led a secret life--he abused his family, squandered his considerable income on drink and drugs, and eventually killed two of his sons, presumably to collect the insurance.

i had no idea how HARD this guest list was going to be to make! swear, i must be the world's most indecisive person, i think. and continuing to agonize over my choices right now as i type...ok, ok, here goes: mark twain, emily dickenson, j.k. rowling, michelangelo, shakespeare and beethoven. anybody else willing to share your dinner guest list with us? do we need a new thread for this?:)

Next on my bedside table is a 50-cent thrift store find, As Always, Julia - The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto. The copyright is 2010 and I wasn't aware of its existence. Can't wait to open the cover. I know it'll be great fun.

Next on my bedside table is a 50-cent thrift store find, As Always, Julia - The Letters of Julia Child and Avis DeVoto. The copyright is 2010 and I wasn't aware of its existence. Can't wait to open the cover. I know it'll be great fun.

don't you love finding bargain buys like you just did with julia's book? it gets very high ratings at amazon, too. nice one....:)

don't you love finding bargain buys like you just did with julia's book? it gets very high ratings at amazon, too. nice one....:)

Yep, I LOVE bargains!!! Plus, it was a pristine hardback, which is super. I've been building my personal library of my favorite books, all to be in hardback. This was a real find and I can't wait to start turning the pages.

I'm reading Lisa Gardner's The Survivor's Club. I'll probably finish it tonight, then I'll start Lisa Unger's Fragile.

i just found out that kindle and b&n are finally acting competitively in the marketing of books! previously, whenever i checked book prices on one i wanted to buy, i found that both bookseller's prices were right in lockstep and never varied. i don't know what has happened with them, but today i am downloading mary kurlansky's salt from amazon's kindle for $7.64 instead of b&n's $9.99. i'm glad to see that capitalism is alive and well once again in our national bookstores....(mark, not mary) :)

Last edited:
Just started a new-to-me author, Peter King's Spiced to Death, interspersed with The Monkey's Paw, a collection of spooky stories by W. W. Jacobs, and Walking the Appalachian Trail by Larry Luxemberg.

just finish My Dark Places by james ellory. a disturbing story of the murder of the authors mother. his quest to find her killer and who she really was. he was ten when the murder occurred. it is in some ways very sad. am now reading "father, forgive me" a story (true ) of the murder of a nun. the suspect is a priest.

Back
Top Bottom