Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh Amelia and Emerson are two of my favorite characters. Elizabeth Peters also writes as Barbara Michaels in case anyone is interested. I've read nearly all her stuff and enjoyed them all. The most recent Amelia and Emerson stories aren't quite up to par IMO, but still readable.

I'm currently on the second book in Game of Thrones. DANG its addictive. It is reminiscent of Pillars of the Earth.

OOOO....vitauta, you should pick up Pillars of the Earth if you haven't read it yet.

Oh Amelia and Emerson are two of my favorite characters. Elizabeth Peters also writes as Barbara Michaels in case anyone is interested. I've read nearly all her stuff and enjoyed them all. The most recent Amelia and Emerson stories aren't quite up to par IMO, but still readable.

I'm currently on the second book in Game of Thrones. DANG its addictive. It is reminiscent of Pillars of the Earth.

OOOO....vitauta, you should pick up Pillars of the Earth if you haven't read it yet.

on your say so i'm putting pillars of the earth on my short list, alix. and only on your sayso. ken follett did not thrill me with his eye of the needle, and i'm not much for the whole medieval times thing. trusting you on this one...:)

on your say so i'm putting pillars of the earth on my short list, alix. and only on your sayso. ken follett did not thrill me with his eye of the needle, and i'm not much for the whole medieval times thing. trusting you on this one...:)

Yes, good suggestion, Pillars of the Earth...fantastic read. Good job Alix!!!

Trust me vitauta, Pillars of the Earth is not to be missed. I poo poo'd Ken Follett too, but this one is a winner. Its less about the times than the people. Its really a keeper.

Trust me vitauta, Pillars of the Earth is not to be missed. I poo poo'd Ken Follett too, but this one is a winner. Its less about the times than the people. Its really a keeper.

kay then, i'll report back....myomyo alix--look at your posts, will ya? be catching up w/andy soon, will ya?:)

Have to agree that Pillars of the Earth is a must read! This was a book I had a hard time putting down and one I didn't want to end! Currently reading a book by a local author about a local subject (the life of a border patrol agent) so far it isn't one that I'm having trouble putting down. Lol! I have "The Help" waiting in the wings, but I want to save it for vacation/holidays! I'm sue it will be a good read.

Another vote here for Pillars of the Earth. And thanks, Vitauta, for Devil's Knot. Duly added to my list for the library.

On the lighter side, I like M. C. Beaton's stories, both the Hamish Macbeth and the Agatha Raisin lines. They're fast and fun.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:
I just started the new Grisham book, The Confession

Please let us know how you like it. Some Grishams are great, others not so much.

Sir_Loin_of_Beef said:
His lawyer books are usually pretty good. It's when he strays from the law that he gets boring.

He's DH's favorite author. I would agree with your observation. I take it this is a lawyer book? Will check out the Kindle edition. Thanks, Sir Loin!

Please let us know how you like it. Some Grishams are great, others not so much.

I just finished it last week! It was pretty good. There was a lot of tension in the beginning but it kind of flagged toward the end. IMO the climax came too early in the book. There was a lot of stuff after that could have been edited out and it would have been a better book.

jabbur said:
I just finished it last week! It was pretty good. There was a lot of tension in the beginning but it kind of flagged toward the end. IMO the climax came too early in the book. There was a lot of stuff after that could have been edited out and it would have been a better book.

Will give it a try! Thanks, Jabbur.

Have started Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. The switch-between book is A Treasury of the World's Best Diaries, a flea market find.

I found an old copy of Cross Creek by Marjorie Kinan Rawlings at the flea market.

Her chapter on daily living and country food in the backwoods and swamps of Florida is wonderful.

I got all 5 books of Vatta's War by Elizabeth Moon. I'm already on the 4th book, can't put 'em down.

I'm reading Night-Dawn-Day by Elie Wiesel. Night is his autobiography of time in a concentration camp during WWII. Dawn and Day are both novels where he explores his feelings and experiences through fictional characters in different circumstances. I had read Night before but it still is a moving account of Hitler's treatment of Jewish prisoners. I'm ready to start Dawn tonight.

Back
Top Bottom