Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vitauta said:
i read "tattoo" and "fire". didn't much care for fire, so the hornets nest is only a maybe for future consideration. what about you, dawg? did you like this trilogy?

I found the first one (Tattoo) terribly tedious for the first 200 pages or so, forged through it, and really enjoyed the rest of the book, so I finished the series. DH couldn't make it past the first one.

It's been awhile.

Sorry you didn't care for Elizabeth! I find her style charming, but I haven't been down to the pool since we shut it down!

sorry, i tried to like elizabeth peters' the golden one (amelia peabody)--but just not my cup of tea, i guess. peters seems a fine writer, but her style is too formal and quaint for my tastes....ken follett's pillars of the earth--a happy surprise--thanks, alix, for pushing this one! i especially like when he writes about building construction, cathedrals, architecture--a finely crafted book, and nice and loong.:) don't know where to start, what to say about accordion crimes. annie proulx is simply brilliant!! her descriptive powers are breathtaking and mesmerizing, and about the only thing that kept me reading through many lengthy, dark, deeply disturbing accounts of human suffering and carnage. this book is a relentlessly depressing treatise of the human condition, as it follows generations of hapless immigrants repeatedly thwarted in their attempts to assimilate into a rigidly prejudiced american society. a musical thread is provided by a little green accordion as it bounces across the country and a span of 100 plus years, bringing brief glimmers of respite through music at times, but brutal endings to each successive accordion owner. this book has been a love/hate journey every step of the way for me. only proulx's captivating vignettes kept me coming back. forty pages still remain--certain parts of this book will remain sharply embedded in my memory banks forever. i will, i must read more proulx, god help me....

Sometimes, to me the value of reading books such as this is in bringing me up short and putting my everyday, for the most part easy American life, in sharp perspective....accidents of birth, etc. My "struggles" would be a less fortunate soul's child's play, something I need to have pointed out to me occasionally.

Her The Shipping News is a bit less grim, also beautifully written. But I really didn't like the movie version - wrong cast all around.

i read "tattoo" and "fire". didn't much care for fire, so the hornets nest is only a maybe for future consideration.
I am with you on tattoo and fire. Tattoo was good, but the first half the book I struggled to stay with it. Like Dawgluver I found it tedious. Hornets Nest is my favorite so far.

I accidentally read them out of order...so I was hooked on the second book, struggled through the first and was hanging out at the loading dock the might the third released. But by the time I was struggling, I was already enamored of the story.

Autobiography of Black Hawk, a Sauk Indian who fought against the govt in northern Illinois in the 1830s. The Black Hawk War was the one in which Abe Lincoln performed his military service. Just finished wading thru all the introductory junk and will start the good stuff tonight.

Autobiography of Black Hawk, a Sauk Indian who fought against the govt in northern Illinois in the 1830s. The Black Hawk War was the one in which Abe Lincoln performed his military service. Just finished wading thru all the introductory junk and will start the good stuff tonight.

I'd like to put that on my list -- is that the title? I couldn't find it in my library catalog. TIA.

I'm just finishing up Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I've dragged myself through it and I'm almost done, thank goodness! I just can't get into it. There are parts that are mildly humerous, but perhaps I know the original too well to get lost in this one. He used too much of the original text to make it fly as a spoof with me, but changed the principal characters too much for me to accept it as an "update" or whatever it was intended to be. I know it's not meant to be serious, but the cheesy fight "scenes," hokey innuendos and references to Shao Lin training contrast too much with the bulk of the text that was left alone. Again though, it may be that I'm just too familiar with (and fond of) the original for my brain to mash it all together.

Up next is A Million Miles in a Thousand Years, by Donald Miller. I have no idea what it's about, besides the fact that it's an autobiography. It was recommended to me by a friend, so we'll see. I hope it holds my attention better than my current labor!

the glass castle, very good, a read that you don't want to end. i have have been reading way to much micheal connealy.

I liked the Glass Castle! Very compelling read. That book and Prizewinner of Defiance Ohio both made me very grateful for my childhood in a stable family!

I have JUST started using my library. I know, shame, shame!

Since time seems to be the main factor in reading, I was wondering about author James Patterson. Now you see her now you don't, is good. Piqued my interest. Are there some others by him that any of you could suggest? He is one who has kept me reading so far. I do enjoy getting lost in someone else's life.

Thanks

Last edited:

Since time seems to be the main factor in reading, I was wondering about author James Patterson. Now you see her now you don't, is good. Piqued my interest. Are there some others by him that any of you could suggest? He is one who has kept me reading so far. I do enjoy getting lost in someone else's life.

Thanks

I've read nearly everything Patterson has written and loved it all. He has several genres that he pursues. One is the Woman's Murder Club, which centers around 4 professional ladies, one is a police officer/detective, another a forensic/coroner type, a third is an assistant district attorney and the fourth is a newspaper reporter. I enjoyed the series and came to appreciate and understand the dynamics among the four ladies.

Another is his science fiction (?) group. Not sure science fiction is the right description, but I thoroughly enjoyed the "Maximum Ride" stories about a group of genetically designed winged children. I actively dislike science fiction but I loved these books.

His third venue is sort of romantic/mystery, which is just as good as the other two. Any time Patterson cranks out a new book, I try to read it.

Oh, I almost forgot...he has another group. It's his Alex Cross series, which revolves around a seasoned police officer/detective and his life. Many of his stories take place in Washington, DC, which interests me because I lived there for 30 years.

From my point of view, any thing you choose that Patterson has written will be enjoyable.

He's very prolific and often co-authors with others. Always good.

Have fun.

I just finished James Patterson's 10th Anniversary, which I thoroughly enjoyed and can't wait for him to add another to this series.

Yesterday afternoon I began reading Mrs. Astor Regrets by Meryl Gordon. It's about Brooke Astor the Mrs. Astor. So far it's quite interesting and makes me want to have met the lady. She certainly didn't let the grass grow under her feet and kept going at nearly full tilt until she died at 105. I'm looking forward to the rest of the book.

Thanks for response. i have almost read this book in two days which to me i something I never thought I COULD do. He is a easy read. Many books some people say are good I don't find same opinion. I remember you Katie H and happy to see you still giving your opinions.

Take care. Don't know if I posted in proper place but will sure find out.
I've read nearly everything Patterson has written and loved it all. He has several genres that he pursues. One is the Woman's Murder Club, which centers around 4 professional ladies, one is a police officer/detective, another a forensic/coroner type, a third is an assistant district attorney and the fourth is a newspaper reporter. I enjoyed the series and came to appreciate and understand the dynamics among the four ladies.

Another is his science fiction (?) group. Not sure science fiction is the right description, but I thoroughly enjoyed the "Maximum Ride" stories about a group of genetically designed winged children. I actively dislike science fiction but I loved these books.

His third venue is sort of romantic/mystery, which is just as good as the other two. Any time Patterson cranks out a new book, I try to read it.

Oh, I almost forgot...he has another group. It's his Alex Cross series, which revolves around a seasoned police officer/detective and his life. Many of his stories take place in Washington, DC, which interests me because I lived there for 30 years.

From my point of view, any thing you choose that Patterson has written will be enjoyable.

He's very prolific and often co-authors with others. Always good.

Have fun.

Thanks

good to hear you're discovering the joy of reading, kitchen.:)"getting lost in someone else's life" is a great way of putting it--one of the main reasons i love to read, for sure....:)

the concrete blond by micheal Connelly. i had requested a lot of his books at different times. they all came in together. have read six in the last three weeks. i may return the other six back unread. i am getting sick of his writing, just a case of overkill.

babetoo: Six? Wow isn't that some kind of record? Must have really caught your interest. I just have to keep checking this thread, is that what they call it, to see what others are enjoying. As I said, two days for this book I thought was pretty good, anyway for me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom