Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Where do I start...hmm...The book of Matthew, Dear Princess, Shaq Attaq, and Becoming a Writer.

Cameron

Since we have friends who are aquainted with her, Queen Noor's memoirs were my last "serious" book. I must say I skimmed through much of the politics of the middle east parts ... we just get so much of that in the news lately. The book I'm currently reading aloud is "Monsoon Diary" by Shoba Narayan. A really great foodie book. Other than that, my normal stack of murder mysteries. Oh, I recently DID read a "new" book by Allende ... but for the life of me cannot remember the title. I put "new" in quotes, because I tend to read library books 90% of the time. It was on the "new book" rack, but am not sure how new it was. It struck me as different from her past books, but still wonderful.

Last edited:
I just finished reading THE BOOK OF RUTH by Jane Hamilton.

Now I'm reading two by Marcia Muller DEAD MIDNIGHT and TILL THE BUTCHERS CUT HIM DOWN

also...THE TIN WOODSMAN OF OZ. I'm re-reading all the Oz books.

I just started Julie and Julie by Julie Powell. It sounds like it will be a good read.

I usually have about 6 or 7 books going at once. I currently have a couple of Star Wars books, Naked Came the Manatee, a history of pirates and And Johnny Got His Gun all in various stages of being read. Having owned a used book store for several years, my collection has more unread than read books because I always grabbed what looked interesting to me even if I had other books at home that weren't read.

mudbug said:
Jim Dale, the guy who does the Harry tapes, is great. Apparently he has won several Grammys for his recordings.

+1. I've not "read" a single Harry Potter book. I've listened to them all and I can't imagine doing it any other way. :mrgreen:

What are you reading these days?

I'm in the middle of... KEEPING WATCH by Laurie R King THE POISON WOOD BIBLE by Barbara Kingsolver and sadly and embarrassingly INTO THE WOODS by VC Andrews.

'A Year in the Merde' by Stephen Clarke -- a laugh-out--loud comedy-of-errors account of the pleasures and perils of being a Brit in France.

And 'History of France for Dummies'

Just finished The Sunday Philosophy Club and started Friends, Lovers, Chocolate - both by Alexander McCall Smith.

I just got home from Costco with three books, The Closers, by Michael Connelly, Cordina's Royal Family, by Nora Roberts, and A Certain Justice by John Lescroart. I tried to get into digital books to read on my pda, but I prefer the real thing.

I feel the same way wasabi. Books were meant to be held and the pages turned.

pdswife said:
Are they good? I'm always looking for new people to read.

I like his writing style - he is the man who wrote the No1 Detective Agency books, set in Africa. He is/was a professor of medical jurisprudence in Edinburgh and has written two sets of novels set in the city - 44 Scotland street was the first one of his books which resulted from a weekly column in the Scotsman newspaper (he had always been fascinated that Charles Dickens' novels started that way!) and I made sure I didn't READ the columns, cos I wanted to savour the book when it was released. Savouring the moment, as they say!

Here's a bit more about mr McCall Smith http://www.mccallsmith.com/

"The Poisenwood Bible" was so sad, but so good, my two eldest girls loved it too, pdswife. Succ33d, Joyce Carol Oates is good, but some of her books have left me feeling awful (Do With Me What You Will....oy). I've also enjoyed Alexander McCall Smith's "No 1. ..." books, Ishbel - he must have lived in Africa, he refers to a lot of little everyday kinds of things (like the smell of Sunlight soap). I may have mentioned/asked this before, but has anyone read "Ursula, Under" by Ingrid Hill? I read it last summer and thought it was very, very good. I'm looking for something else right now - have to pay a visit to the library soon. Also, anyone read Marianne Frederiksson's "Hannah's Daughters" (sad, but it must resonate with a lot of people - it has been translated into all sorts of languages from Swedish; for me, could have been my grandmother's and mother's story, except set in Sweden).

If you're looking for book recommendations, try "Life of Pi'. Have not been so so personally affected by a book in quite a while. I don't mean that it's a spiritual book. It's an account of a boy's strange adventure. The writing is wonderful. The story is gripping. And the outcome, well, let's just say, you'll want to read the book all over once again as soon as you get to the end. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom